• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

45m zero with Unity Mount?

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
Saw this video regarding red dot zero distance based on your ammo, optic height, ammo and velocity per barrel length. Was curious if anyone wanted to pitch in. Atm running a Core 12.5" using PMC M193 and trying to figure out which zero distance gives me as tight and flat of a group up to 300 (really 200, but 300 is the max I want to use this build effectively at).

Pretty decent vid.

I’ve got a 2 MOA T2 in a Unity FAST 1.93” mount on a 10.3” AR.
I went with this mount height for passive aiming through NODs and to clear a PEQ-15.
I run BH 50 gr. TSX and M193 through it.
I have it zeroed at 50 yds. That puts me “close” at 200.
The PEQ-15 is zeroed at 200, so that keeps things consistent.
Given the combination of optic/rifle/ammo, I am looking for quick and dirty hits at any range past 200.
At 300, holding the top of the head will result in a hit somewhere that will get someone’s attention.
Far bigger concern with that mount height is holdover at close range, <25 yards.
No substitute for trigger time.

You can’t argue with math. His case for the 61 yard zero is sound, if that is your priority.
His statement that it is subjective is also sound. Don’t overthink it.
Pick something and train with it.