• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns .460 Rowland longslide frankenglock

Strive4More

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
Crestview, FL
Alright this gets a bit confusing so listen close. I just got a g21 in a trade and am in the process of getting a lonewolf g20 solid top long slide with a extended 10 mm barrel for it. I know the slide will work on my frame. No problem there.
My question is can I get a 45 barrel for the 10mm longslide and have it reamed to 460 Rowland? The extra slide mass would help with recoil for sure. Or must I get a dedicated 45 long slide to run the 460? I want the longslide to tame recoil without running a comp. Pistol would mostly be for shits n giggles. Why not go 460 if it only cost me $130 plus a spring or two

Re: .460 Rowland longslide frankenglock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strive4More</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can I get a 45 barrel for the 10mm longslide and have it reamed to 460 Rowland?</div></div>

You can get one, and you can ream it, but it won't fit the 10mm slide. The breechface of the G20 slide is too narrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strive4More</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not go 460 if it only cost me $130 plus a spring or two</div></div>

You could attack this a number of ways. No doubt the longslide will soak up some recoil, but the pistol will run just fine with 460, if you install a 24# spring.

That said, you don't really even need a 460 barrel AT ALL to run "460", which is actually just 45 Super +p+.

The 460 has longer headspace, but COAL is the same, thus the longer case ONLY prevents chambering 460 in a pistol not rated for it.

The only difference between Starline 45 Super and 460 Rowland brass is headstamp and length. No difference in alloy or web thickness.

45 bbl won't fit in 10mm slide.

lone wolf is rechambering to 460 for like $50.

they make a ported version or brake version. So guessing you'd want the ported version?

to tame it with out a brake or porting you'd want more spring then what is made or what works.

the 22lb ISM spring isn't enough with out a brake or porting.

the 24lb wolff round spring doesn't hold spring memory well (IMO!!!!) and it's too wide for the 45 cal barrel (works fine for 10mm)

the long slide ported with 22ism spring and maybe a buffer seems interesting. Doubt you'd gain much velocity over the current storm lake offerings done by 460rowland.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhGM0hhsGEg

I'm just a sucker for the classic looking long slides without ports or anything. I'll try it out in a few months and let everyone know. Hmm I'm seeing a dr jeckyl (G20L) and mr hyde (460L) setup in my future!

I have a couple Rowlands and just for info. With the 250 grain bullets, you can not get enough spring to keep the slide from beating on the frame. I was up to 32#, aint gonna happen. Now if you go to the 230 and keep it under 1100, the 30# works ok. But why? With the comp on mine, I run the 255's at 1390 and a 28# recoil spring. Funny thing about it, my 6" g21 with the rowland runs at the same velocity as my 4.75" commander length 19ll Rowland. I agree that it is nothing more than a 45 super +p+, I do use the Rowland brass so that I can keep it straight and not accidently put it in a "regular" gun. I have pushed the 255 swc to 1475 when I ran into pressure problems but am happy with the 1390 fps in the 5" guns. Good luck and you will like it, especially if you travel the back country out west.

I should have added that I run "460" (actually 45 super +p+) through my Glock 21c, with 24# spring.

Glock barrel, and starline 45 super brass:

12gr. Longshot, 185xtp ~1525fps

9.5gr longshot, 230xtp ~1300fps

Runs great, feels great, hits steel like a 5lb sledgehammer.

My Glock is limited by chamber support.

Azprc - your running 1911 right? Never heard of a 32# spring for a glock...which is what the OP is wanting to do the 460rowland in.