• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

4831 sc users

MTETM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
Montana
I have always believed 4831sc to be a very temp stable powder, but some recent results have me wondering if it is less stable than I thought.

Have any of you experienced velocity thus dope changes due to temperature with this powder?
Or...have you experienced more consistent results when running close to maximum charges?

I am experiencing elevation changes from 500 to 1000 yards when temps go from the mid 40's to upper 60's low 70's. These results have been consistent over the last 10 pounds of 4831sc I have shot this year.

Thanks for your input.

Re: 4831 sc users

I have been useing it for a while now and i really don't see change in velocity i think what you are experiencing at the longer ranges is change in air density as it gets warmer.

I can't really say for sure. What I can say is that I believe it is impossible to develop a system that always shoots to the same POI regardless of enviromental swings. I understand DARPA is working on that, though. Better them than others; it's really a 'DARPA hard problem'.

Greg

I've used it from the 40's to high 90's with no noticeable change. It's very temp stable to me.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I will continue to use the powder, it shoots too damn well to quit it, and will chalk my changes up to shooter effects...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been useing it for a while now and i really don't see change in velocity i think what you are experiencing at the longer ranges is change in air density as it gets warmer.
</div></div>

This is my first thought as well.

I don't see much change in MV's, but the differences in DA at various temps and altitudes will change the longer range dope significantly.

Agreed,
I took my .264WM out and shot it when it was in the 20's with a load that I worked up over summer and no velocity change. I even left the ammo and rifle get cold.

Good Luck,

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been useing it for a while now and i really don't see change in velocity i think what you are experiencing at the longer ranges is change in air density as it gets warmer.
</div></div>

This is my first thought as well.

I don't see much change in MV's, but the differences in DA at various temps and altitudes will change the longer range dope significantly.</div></div>

I am seeing effects aside from DA. I have seen effects when the DA change is > 1000 feet, and I have adjusted my elevation accordingly.

I am going to continue to keep track of things, but the more I think about it and the more comments that people haven't seen a temperature effect, the more I believe it is shooter induced.

It's the slow burning powder of choice for me. It's the most stable, the most accurate and easy to get.

Chronographed/zeroed my 4831SC load at 30F/sea level. Used JBM trajectory calculator for various conditions - one is for 1800ft altitude and 70F.

Shot said conditions last week and the JBM data was right on. I would conclude the powder as stable between 30F and 70F...