• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

4DOF Bullet Library

Strike_out

MoKnucker Deluxe
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2017
South Eastern WYO
Quick question....

Im shopping new bullets...anyhow so is it worth it to switch to one of the cataloged bullets on the Hornady app to take advantage of their testing even if its not a first choice bullet?

example...wanted to run the 123 Scenars but they only have the 139's tested, wouldnt be mad about running the 139's but....

thanks

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Have you had a chance to review this attachment.

Attachments

• Hornady4DOF.pdf
    506.5 KB · Views: 581

Is there any benefits to the Hornady app over others when running a bullet without their custom drag curve and just using a trued BC line the other apps?
I haven’t used it in the field yet. I’ve just been messsing with it to get familiar. I would use what works for you.

Now focusing on what @V-Ref Just posted, I would say there is some truth to what Litz said in there, I mean if anyone understands marketing it’s AB. I can’t wait to see the chaos that article causes around here ?.

I’m Going to be going to the range and doing some comparisons between AB, Hornady and Coldbore. I’ve had good success with AB but I don’t get out past 1200 often and I turn off all the earth effects as well. I’m just learning coldbore and the hornady solver so I am really interested to compare and see if the hornady thing is really just hype and marketing.

Just because it's not as novel as the marketing leads you to believe, doesn't mean the predictions wont work in many applications. If you need high confidence at ranges nearing/exceeding transonic, then you probably shouldn't use a free phone app anyway.

Getting doppler verified drag data and a nice interface for free is all the draw, and they even have my favorite cheap bullet (105 BTHP) cataloged. Predictions have been real close too. If I didn't shoot a bullet in their library, I'd use a different app.

Reactions: Strike_out

Is there any benefits to the Hornady app over others when running a bullet without their custom drag curve and just using a trued BC line the other apps?

In my view, no. RADAR Drag curves are the primary benefit of the Hornady calculator, in spite of the marketing that sort of spins the MPM aspect (nothing wrong with MPM, but accurate drag data is much more important). FYI - Lapua uses custom curves too if you'd prefer their bullets.

I guess we may have to wait a while before they add more bullets from other brands to the bullet library. Here was their reply.

Hornady Support commented at: 09-26-2019 02:23
Mr. Gabaldon
Thank you for your email. I don't have definitive answer for you on this subject. We are working on extending the offerings in the bullet library but other manufacturers bullets are lower on the priority list for us.
Thanks
MR
raygabaldon commented at: 09-25-2019 11:06

Will you be adding the Berger 6.5mm 130g Hybrid OTC Tactical bullet profile to the 4DOF bullet library anytime soon? I just bought the Kestrel Hornady unit but this bullet is not listed. Bummer... I do mostly use Hornady 6.5 140 ELDM with success though.

I would switch all my rifles to the Hornady 4DOF if they added more bullets. My steel shooting gun runs 6.5mm ELD-M bullets great.

Where it would actually be helpful for me is in the hunting space...

My hunting rig uses all BARNES bullets and I can’t take advantage of 4DOF’s zero angle feature (so I could shoot 145 gr for antelope and 168 gr for elk etc). I’ve been watching but haven’t seen a significant increase in their bullet library for quite a while...and almost nothing that isn’t a Hornady bullet...not even their GMX line.

If something doesn’t turn up soon...I’ll probably give up on it and just build separate dope cards/profiles in my old ballistic solver.

Last edited: