• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision 4x NV scope for an AR

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
What NV scope would work well on a flattop AR (.223)? Any recommendations. For once price isn't a problem...

Re: 4x NV scope for an AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What NV scope would work well on a flattop AR (.223)? Any recommendations. For once price isn't a problem... </div></div>

Need a bit more information, range you want to engage at?

Vic

Looking for a 4x scope for ranges inside 300-400 yds. Want Gen 3 quality.

if price is not an issue i would go pvs-14 coupled to scope of your choice.

i run mine on all sorts of optics and i have it on a leatherwood cmr 1x4 right now. 3-400yd is no problem especially with a good ir light. not to mention the sheer versatility of the 14 makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

Look into the D-740. It's lighter weight and ideal for the range you specified. Depending on the caliber you chose, pinnacle may or may not be the way to go.

Preston

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if price is not an issue i would go pvs-14 coupled to scope of your choice.

i run mine on all sorts of optics and i have it on a leatherwood cmr 1x4 right now. 3-400yd is no problem especially with a good ir light. not to mention the sheer versatility of the 14 makes it a no brainer in my opinion. </div></div>

How do you couple a -14 to a scope? Do you need an extended rail (like an ARMS rail) to get proper eye relief? Mount it in front or behind?
This scope is for a buddy of mine and he's dead set on a 3-4 power scope on top of a dedicated AR for nightime use.

On a side note not related to this thread...I've already got a -14 that sit's on top of a suppressed AR behind a Trijicon 1X dot scope. Works great for less than 200 yds but I've wanted to find a way to plop that in front of my NF NXS scope on a .308 and use it for my suppressed bolt gun at night. Can I do that with a -14 on a MUNS rail on my AI stock? Can it handle .308 recoil?

What NV scope handles .308 recoil??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if price is not an issue i would go pvs-14 coupled to scope of your choice.

i run mine on all sorts of optics and i have it on a leatherwood cmr 1x4 right now. 3-400yd is no problem especially with a good ir light. not to mention the sheer versatility of the 14 makes it a no brainer in my opinion. </div></div>

How do you couple a -14 to a scope? Do you need an extended rail (like an ARMS rail) to get proper eye relief? Mount it in front or behind?
This scope is for a buddy of mine and he's dead set on a 3-4 power scope on top of a dedicated AR for nightime use.

On a side note not related to this thread...I've already got a -14 that sit's on top of a suppressed AR behind a Trijicon 1X dot scope. Works great for less than 200 yds but I've wanted to find a way to plop that in front of my NF NXS scope on a .308 and use it for my suppressed bolt gun at night. Can I do that with a -14 on a MUNS rail on my AI stock? Can it handle .308 recoil?

What NV scope handles .308 recoil?? </div></div>

i couple mine to rear of my optics with the pvs-14 universal adapter kit. i have dinked with it in front of a scope but have heard you will get poi shift. havent actualy shot it in front to confirm. i have my scope mounted in a forward one piece base and i have a magpul ctr stock on that lets me adjust the length of pull to get my eye relief right when i run the 14 on back.

everyone shys away from 14 on a.308 for recoil reasons but one thing ive never heard anyone ask or say is what if the rifle has a brake or suppressor which generally reduces felt recoil drastically. i have a friend with a 7wsm that has a break that i swear makes it feel like .223 recoil.

What NV scope would handle the recoil on a 16" suppressed semi-auto .308 ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What NV scope would work well on a flattop AR (.223)? Any recommendations. For once price isn't a problem... </div></div>

Raptor 6x or Raptor 4x.

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What NV scope would handle the recoil on a 16" suppressed semi-auto .308 ?

</div></div>

The Raptor can handle .308 recoil. However, if you need more magnification than 4x or 6x, a clip-on NV scope, such as the PVS-22 or PVS-27, will be more useful. Either of these can handle .308 recoil.

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you couple a -14 to a scope? Do you need an extended rail (like an ARMS rail) to get proper eye relief? Mount it in front or behind?

What NV scope handles .308 recoil?? </div></div>

The PVS-14 goes BEHIND the ocular of the day scope. You can attach it directly to the scope using a Monoloc adapter; or you can use any number of adapters that clamp onto or thread into the PVS-14 and then mount directly to the picatinny rail. For the latter, the PRI M-69 gives excellent vertical adjustment for aligning the axis of the PVS-14 to that of the day scope.

Note: if the day scope has a small diameter objective, i.e. less than 40mm, the chances are that it will give a very dark image from the PVS-14 coupled with it.

IR-V

Say

If interested, I have a PVS-4 thats a 3.6x magnification. I have less than 4 hrs on the tube.

It has a L3 tube
Gen. 3
Comes with Arms mount (clamps right on any pictanny rail)
Comes with 1 year warranty
Promise you won't be dissappointed in the tube, the tube is smokin hot, no blems or crap like that.
I'd let it go well under what a new goes for.

Shoot me a text or call, this would be the fastest way for me to respond. 979-540-7279
Thanks..Tim