• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes 5-25 Premier Heritage w/DTAC Reticle (pic heavy)

:X2:

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Lipscomb, Texas
Here’s the Premier Heritage 5-25 with the DTAC Reticle.
DTAC-RET-1c.jpg

DTAC-RET-1b.jpg

DTAC-RET-1a.jpg

This is at 5x
5x.jpg

7x
7x.jpg

9x
9x.jpg

11x
11x.jpg

14x
14x.jpg

17x
17x.jpg

The "W" and "R" stand for Walking and Running leads respectfully, and the wind dots are at 5mph increments for my caliber (6.5XC).

20x
20x.jpg

Re: 5-25 Premier Heritage w/DTAC Reticle (pic heavy)

Nice, I had heard they were going to start doing those.

Damn hard to se though until you crank up the mag.

My pictures doesn’t serve the reticle or the quality of glass the justice it deserves, I was shooting on 5x today with zero problems.

Looks like a fighter HUD lol

Re: 5-25 Premier Heritage w/DTAC Reticle (pic heav

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My pictures doesn’t serve the reticle or the quality of glass the justice it deserves, I was shooting on 5x today with zero problems. </div></div>

I didn't see the option for the reticle listed on Premiers site, how much was the DTAC option/upgrade?

6cx necked up to 6.5? If so what kind of speeds are you getting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't see the option for the reticle listed on Premiers site, how much was the DTAC option/upgrade?</div></div>
The DTAC upgrade is available through Superior Shooting Systems. (806-323-9488)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6cx necked up to 6.5? If so what kind of speeds are you getting? </div></div>
Right now iv got a 27" Schneider barrel and hBN 142 SMK's at 2950. I have a little more room to move up in velocity but this is where it matches the reiticle the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, "a bit" too busy for my taste...
smile.gif
</div></div>

Whew, me too! I'm sure in the right hands its a wonderful tool but it makes my (simple) head hurt to look at that thing
crazy.gif

Today’s not nearly as overcast as yesterday so I tried to get some better pics along with some pics of the graphs in the reticle. As you can tell I had a difficult time trying to get a decent picture of something that’s not in the center of the reticle.

This is the Milling Stadia
milling-stadia.jpg

This is the Mil Ranging Calculation Graph. Size of target is on the left, Yards on the Bottom and Mil lines are running diagonally. So lets say our target is 3ft tall and ranged 1 mil. You would start at 3ft on the left side, move 90 degrees to the right until you hit the 1 mil diagonal line and go strait down where the two lines meet, solution 1000yds.
mil-rang-calc-graph.jpg

This is the Density Altitude Graph. Same concept as above. You have your altitude above SL on the right, temp on the bottom and DA solution on the left. Example your at 2K altitude, and its 80 degrees F out. You start on the right side of the graph at the 2K mark, move down the diagonal line down and to the left until you intersect 80 degrees F, at that intersection move strait left to you DA solution, about 4K DA. This graph is not always going to be dead nuts, but its always with you and it doesn’t take batteries. Kestrel is always the way to go if you have one with you.
DA-graph.jpg

Here’s a little better pic at 5x
DSC00314.jpg

At 11x
DSC00316.jpg

At 25X
DSC00317.jpg

Here’s a dove at 25x on the highline wire at 324 yds and iv got a 12mph wind from 9 o’clock.
DSC00320.jpg

Just a pic of the dove at 5x (he’s above the reticle on this one)
DSC00328.jpg

Another 5x shot, Cottonwood with the yellow is at 780 yds.
DSC00333.jpg

X2,

Who makes the anti-cant indicator you are running?

What do you aim with???
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">X2,

Who makes the anti-cant indicator you are running? </div></div>

Both the one on the end of the barrel and on the scope you can get at Superior Shooting Systems, just talk to Tyler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you aim with???
smile.gif
</div></div>

???What am i shooting? What do you aim with using the reticle? or just being sarcastic? Im not pickin that one up

is it just me or does the dots running center line of the "reticle" do they look like they have a slight curve to them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it just me or does the dots running center line of the "reticle" do they look like they have a slight curve to them? </div></div>

Good eye, thats for spin drift, you'll also notice that the walking and running leads incorperate this!

all you need now is a drop down calculator in there also
all kidding aside very nice if you can use all these options
Bill

sweet so im not crazy and seeing shit. Seems like the learning/familirization curve to that reticle would take a little while, how easy is it to grasp over say a gen2xr or regular old mil-dot. And whats the retrofit price if you dont mind?

I think the DTAC's a neat reticle. I'm not interested in it due to the fact it's load specific.

The first time you get down behind it, it does look extremely busy. But the learning curve is also extremely fast, especially if you've used any type of reticle that incorporated some type of hold over’s, whether it be Mil dot or some other reticle. Everything is in yds and mph so there is no translating between different measurements. You’ll use the wrong dot a few times learning on it, its not without human error, it just takes out some of the human input like dialing dope and using a range card or pda to figure out holds. You can call SSS at 806-323-9488 and talk to Tyler or David about retrofitting your scope.

Superior Shooting Systems
U.S.Pat.7325353
Ret-1

Just what we need a Reticle with advertising on it. Maybe if we could get Coke to put an ad on the top of the reticle, that would reduce the price of the PH, like maybe 50%. They could include a snappy jingle like:

"Dead Critters Go Better with Coke"

Other than that an interesting design. Love the picture @ 5 power with part of the reticle in the cotton wood trees. Hey! where the reticle go?

Thanks for posting,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6cx necked up to 6.5? If so what kind of speeds are you getting? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now iv got a 27" Schneider barrel and hBN 142 SMK's at 2950. I have a little more room to move up in velocity but this is where it matches the reiticle the best.</div></div>

how in the heck can you get velocities faster than 260 and on par with 6.5-284.

I got a 27" schnieder 6xc and doing good to push 3000 with 115gr dtac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6cx necked up to 6.5? If so what kind of speeds are you getting? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now iv got a 27" Schneider barrel and hBN 142 SMK's at 2950. I have a little more room to move up in velocity but this is where it matches the reiticle the best.</div></div>

how in the heck can you get velocities faster than 260 and on par with 6.5-284.

I got a 27" schnieder 6xc and doing good to push 3000 with 115gr dtac </div></div>

I dont know, we've done 3 other barrels exactly like this one and the fastest we can get is high 2800's and thats with really good pressure signs. It will be a sad day when this barrels burns up and quits shooting because i'll probably never find another one like it. Its a Schneider with the Tubb contour all finished out it ended up at 27". With a really hot load I can do 2970 but backed off to 2950-2940 its a tack driver.

My favorite reticle for sure, it was developed by Brand Cole while he was at SSS. The downside is that it works for a single bullet (BC) and muzzle velocity, but I shoot 115DTACs at 2,950fps and am a happy camper doing it. There are DTAC reticles for other rounds too.

I wondered about installing this reticle in a 5-25x scope. Originally they were installed in a S&B 4-16x PMII and I've never needed the extra magnification. In fact, you have to reduce magnification to see the longer range holdovers. From X2's images, it looks like 20x is the optimum magnification to have if you want to use the ranging reticle, so maybe the 5-25x is the way to go.

You don't really need all the peripheral graphics if you know your density altitude (use a Kestrel, for example), but the charts can be used to estimate it if you know some basic information. You see these charts only at low magnifications, and they "disappear" at higher magnifications. These peripheral charts lead up to simple corrections for environmental factors that you dial in with the usual turret knobs, then you use the main reticle that is very fast and easy to use. It might sound complicated, but it's not if you already know your local DA. Once you dial in the small corrections, the reticle is good to use and even includes a spin drift correction.

Note the special markings on the elevation dial for making the small corrections for DA. The turret is set for 6 MOA down.

Finally, although the reticle is designed for a specific BC and MV, you can make corrections for slightly higher or lower MVs by finding the equivalent change in DA. For example, for the 115DTAC, an increase/decrease of 25fps in MV is roughly equivalent to an increase/decrease in DA of 1,000 feet (if I remember correctly what Brand told me).

It's a great reticle and I'm happy to see David Tubb working to make it more prolific.

X2, the original DTAC reticle had at least one more graph that was the correction for density altitude that is dialed on the turret. How do you know what the correction is if you don't have that chart (I use a hard copy so I don't have to look through the scope for the info)?

I love the teardrop indicators of what changes in DA will do to your POI (so much that until I can afford a DTAC for my 175 308's, I have printed a mini for my dope chart on my rifle).

The original DTAC reticles for 115DTACs (6XC) didn't have the teardrops and I couldn't figure out what they were until you mentioned it. How do you use them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you aim with???
smile.gif
</div></div>
It's a holdover reticle. The numbers at the far left and right are the ranges in hundreds of yards (for example "3" = 300 yards). The horizontal line near the top is 200 yards, and the dot over it is 100 yards.

The dots along center line are the holdovers with no wind. At a given range, the smaller dots to the left and right are the wind holds for 5, 10, 15 and 20 mph. You simply holdover for range and then adjust left or right for the estimated wind. No calculation for elevation and windage are needed, you just need to know the range to the target and the wind - that's why it's so fast and there are fewer mental errors because there is no math. It takes only one use of this reticle to appreciate it.

Hey, X2, I just checked and you're less than 30 miles from SSS. No wonder you have all those toys that aren't even on the SSS website yet!! Tell David and Tyler they need to update it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The original DTAC reticles for 115DTACs (6XC) didn't have the teardrops and I couldn't figure out what they were until you mentioned it. How do you use them? </div></div>

Numbers at the bottom are for DA in 2000's. Center line is 4K DA. All the teardrops show how many moa to adjust for for the corresponding DA change at the distance given on the BDC-Left of the center is how much more EL to adjust for lower DA, right of center is how much to adjust down EL for higher DA. Look at the teardrop's "point" as a hand on a clock face-ie if its pointing at 2:00 you need to add (left of 4K)/subtract (right of 4K) 2moa from your dope/zero. That's what the "up" and "down" arrows are to remind you of under the "R" holds on the zero line. Slick stuff!

Let me try to restate it: the center line is 4kft DA, and moving to the left or right by one dot is a change of 2kft in DA down or up.

I like the clockface idea to present the adjustment, the original DTAC chart for the same info was hard to read on the reticle, so I created an enlarged hardcopy from the manual.

As I was drooling over X2's 6.5XC rifle, I noticed how high the scope is positioned and saw that he has raised the cheekpiece by 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I wonder if he could use lower rings and avoid raising the cheekpiece at all - the rifle I would use this DTAC scope with doesn't have a cheekpiece. Ugh! Maybe it's to match the height-over-bore of a Tubb rifle (something like 2.5 inches for a T2K), which is included in the reticle holdovers?

I shot a DTAC reticle for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I've spent quite a bit of time behind a Night Force NP-R1 and a Leupold TMR. It is busier than either of those. It does take a little bit to learn.

It really shines when you've got multiple targets at various distances. When you never have to come out of the scope to dial dope or read a card, target acquisition and engagement is extremely fast. With movers it is even more of an advantage for me. Dialing dope for a running target at 300 moving to 350 is tricky. By the time I've got my dope in, the target is at a different range. I end up holding over/under anyway. This just eliminates the need for dope on a card/PDA.

It is one way to do things...its definitely not for everyone. But I do like it. I think it has a place and will become more popular with time.

Wind holds, mover holds, and holds for targets at different distances can be done with any graduated reticle, although it works better with a reticle in the first focal plane.

A reticle which is not specific to a particular cartridge has the added advantage that it can be used with any rifle and any cartridge. There's nothing wrong with a cartridge-specific reticle if you are only going to shoot that one and/or have lots of money.

The DTAC #1 reticle (based on the 115DTAC @ 2,950fps) can be used with over a dozen different bullet/MV combinations out to 1kyd, and the #2 reticle (based on the 175SMK @ 2,650fps) can be used with over two dozen. You have to make some adjustments in windage though, depending on the bullet (BC). X2 is shooting a 142SMK @ 2,950fps using the #1 reticle, for example

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A reticle which is not specific to a particular cartridge has the added advantage that it can be used with any rifle and any cartridge. There's nothing wrong with a cartridge-specific reticle if you are only going to shoot that one and/or have lots of money.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The DTAC #1 reticle (based on the 115DTAC @ 2,950fps) can be used with over a dozen different bullet/MV combinations out to 1kyd, and the #2 reticle (based on the 175SMK @ 2,650fps) can be used with over two dozen. You have to make some adjustments in windage though, depending on the bullet (BC). X2 is shooting a 142SMK @ 2,950fps using the #1 reticle, for example </div></div>

The dozen different bullet/MV combinations for Ret 1 and two dozen for Ret 2 that One Eyed Jack is talking about is only considering Sierra Bullets, theres several dozen more when you consider bullets from other companies.

Here are some of the bullet/MV combinations that can be used with the DTAC #1 and #2 reticles out to 1kyd (these were sent to me by David Tubb, who let me post them here), and were done assuming 4kft density altitude and ~2.5" scope height over bore. Due to the formatting of his information, I am unable to repeat the elevations at the 5 ranges used for comparison of each bullet-MV with the reticle, but they are within a fraction of an MOA out to 1kyd. However, windage holds will require adjustment for some bullets.

<span style="font-weight: bold">DTAC RETICLE 1</span>
115gr DTAC with closed nose @ 2980 fps
130 Berger 6.5mm @ 3000
142 SMK 6.5mm @2970
155 SMK 6.5mm @ 3000
175 SBT 7mm @ 3025
175 SMK 7mm @ 2925
190 SMK 308 @ 3050
200 SMK 308 @ 2980
210 SMK 308 @ 2875
220 SMK 308 @ 2900
250 SMK 338 @ 2950
300 SMK 338 @ 2775
750 AMAX 50cal @ 2700

12 different bullet /velocity combinations

<span style="font-weight: bold">DTAC RETICLE 2</span>
175 SMK 308 @ 2650fps
80 SMK 224 @ 2775
95 SMK 6mm @ 2750
107 SMK 6mm @ 2625
123 SMK 6.5mm@ 2650
140 SMK 6.5mm @ 2625
142 SMK 6.5mm @ 2575
135 SMK 270 @ 2700
150 SMK 7mm @ 2775
150 SBT 7mm @ 2790
160 SBT 7MM @ 2685
168 SMK 7mm @ 2650
175 SBT 7mm @ 2575
175 SMK 7mm @ 2525
155 Palma (old style)308 @2750
168 SMK 308 @ 2750
180 SMK 308 @ 2650
180 SBT 308 @ 2625
190 SMK 308 @ 2600
200 SMK 308 @ 2550
200 SBT 308 @ 2575
220 SMK 308 @ 2510
174 SMK 311 @ 2650
200 SMK 8mm @ 2625
220 SBT 8mm @ 2600
215 SBT 338 @ 2675
250 SMK 338 @ 2525
250 SBT 338 @ 2550
300 SMK 338 @ 2450
330 SBT 375 @ 2675

29 different bullet/velocity combinations

I got to drop by X2's over the weekend. Say what you want about the reticle, the glass in that scope is amazing. Premier did an awesome job. I don't have any way to scientifically measure clarity and light transmission, that's not my department. I do know that in low light and under Night Vision, it is the clearest, brightest I've ever seen.

My wish list just got a little longer.

Best of all, it's all USA made and serviced. A win-win situation.

I don't think SSS "sells" the DTAC reticle like Horus Vision sells its reticle. The DTAC reticle is available in completed scopes sold by SSS. So far, the scopes have been the S&B 4-16x PMII (original reticle for the 115DTAC), the S&B 4-16x Klassic ("Ret 2"), and the Premiere 5-25x Heritage ("Ret 1", revised version of the 115DTAC reticle).

Nevertheless, I'd like to know whether SSS would "sell" their reticle for installation in personal scopes, since I have one that I think would work with the #2.

I think we will have to call David Tubb at SSS to find out.

Awesome pics, thanks for taking the time to post them and explain the reticle. I'd never seen this one before...

What portion if any of the reticle is lit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: codyb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What portion if any of the reticle is lit? </div></div>
I did this on Photoshop, so its not exactly like it looks in the pic, but you get the idea.

DSC00317illuminated.jpg

On a side note, I still have yet to use this with the illumination. The reticle can be seen just fine under a full moon, also didn’t use it with PVS 26’s or thermals. Although thermals with black hot on may be a different story, it could possibly come in handy there.

X2

That is the neatest reticle... floors me what they have in reticles.

How usefull is the reticle when it coms to ranging targets far away. I can see a problem when you get above 11x,(where you can't see it anymore) can you use the range an DA graph at low x, and still see it clear enough to determing target height!!!

The position of those 2 makes me wonder!! Whish someone would invent a flip flop gadget were you can chose between 2-3 reticles..(wild thinking, I know)
But great scope..

i actually hit a larue at 40yd less than a mile with one of the early DTAC reticules....did it 4x out of 12 rounds sent...at 6 power and the bottom of the christmas tree.....me thinks the 6xc was a bit tired when it got there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How usefull is the reticle when it coms to ranging targets far away. I can see a problem when you get above 11x,(where you can't see it anymore) can you use the range an DA graph at low x, and still see it clear enough to determing target height!!!

The position of those 2 makes me wonder!! Whish someone would invent a flip flop gadget were you can chose between 2-3 reticles..(wild thinking, I know)
But great scope.. </div></div>

Palle,
You can use the Milling Stadia (as seen in the pic below) as high as 20X – 22X to Mil your target but then you would have to flip down to about 8X to bring the Mil Calc Graph into view. (Mil Calc Graph is the second pic) Both the Mil Calc Graph and the DA graph can be clearly used at 5X but with a little more power it is easier.

milling-stadia.jpg

mil-rang-calc-graph.jpg

One-Eyed Jack,

What cartridge can push a 155 grain 6.5mm SMK at 3000 fps?

Since the 155 grain 6.5mm SMK is hard to find, do you know of a supply of any?

I don't have info on the 6.5mm. The list I presented was from David Tubb. I'm guessing - 6.5-284?