• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.45x39 uppers

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
I've decided to do something a little different (for me) with my new AR build and make it a 5.45x39 Russian. I've got 2,000 rounds of hornady ammo on the way and I'd like to have the rifle put together by the time it gets here. My question is, which upper have people had the best experience with? Right now I'm looking at an Adams Arms piston, or a Spikes Tactical unit (from Rainier Arms and AIM respectively). Does anyone have any experience with either of them? Or have alternative/better suggestions? Better yet, are their any 'Hide sponsors who make/sell good 5.45 uppers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 5.45x39 uppers

I had a S&W upper and I never had a single issue with it. I don't know what the Spike's uses for corrosion resistance, but with the surplus ammo, I imagine a piston upper would be justified...

I also have the s&w upper... I've never had a issue with it. If you use surplus ammo, make sure you clean it though... one time I knew I was going to shoot 2 weekends in a row, so I didn't clean it and when I took it out to shoot the 2nd week, the bolt was already getting stuck. I make sure to windex it now and it has been great. The surplus ammo works great too!

Midwayusa is selling the adams arms piston upper for a little over $600...S&W, spikes tactical...offer DI uppers. If you're going to run surplus ammo...and why wouldn't you at 1,200 rounds per $130...you may want to consider the piston upper. Guys are gettin great results with the upper and clean up, fouling, corrosion, is much less in a piston upper. I'm thinking about picking up one of the adams arms uppers.

Buty hey...get yourself an Arsenal Ak-74 for under $800 and be done with it!

I have a spikes love it The barrel flash hider gas tube and front sight are all melonited the bolt group and barrel extension are nickel boron. The surplus ammo has copper washed steel jackets so if you see rust in you bore with the melonite that is the steel fouling rusting not the bore. I freaked out a few days after the first time I shot mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Evidently this is also a good part to have:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/bolt...5x39-p-471.html </div></div>

I'm leaning towards this, which comes with the nickel boron BCG.

Like I said I've got 2,000 rounds of hornady ammo coming (still only 2/3 the price of my .223) so I'm not hugely concerned about corrosion. It's going to be a fun toy to play around with
smile.gif

One other thing that you need to be very aware of is that any use with COMBLOC surplus is going to require careful consideration to the trigger/hammer etc. Not everything either has enough spring or enough kpe in the hammer to consistently pop those long-term storage-rated primers. I've had to shop around a bit in that regard, so be advised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the adams arms comes with a replacement spring for the hammer to ignite the primers. i havent had issues with er yet. </div></div>

THanks for this info...didn't know they shipped the stronger spring.