• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 77 Grain TMK Best Powder

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
I managed to get my hands on some 77 grain TMKS for the 5.56.

What is the best powder to pair with them for maximum velocity out of a 10.5" and 14.5" AR?

I see there is a ton of info out there, but didn't know if there is a consensus on some of the best powders for this application.

Thanks!

Search function- this has been discussed numerous times.

Theres not going to be a “best powder” as every rifle is different and will respond it is own way to various loads.

That said, I have had good luck with Varget, 8208XBR and AA2520 (there are others but i only have experience with those three).

Also, what velocity are you looking to achieve out of each of those rifles? Whats the application(s)?

Reactions: simonp
Search function- this has been discussed numerous times.

Theres not going to be a “best powder” as every rifle is different and will respond it is own way to various loads.

That said, I have had good luck with Varget, 8208XBR and AA2520 (there are others but i only have experience with those three).

Also, what velocity are you looking to achieve out of each of those rifles? Whats the application(s)?

Thanks - I need to do more reading. Was hoping to fine something like H1000 is "the powder" for 300 win, or H4350 is "the powder" for 6.5 creed.

I haven't tried to nail down a velocity for each of my guns, but as fast as safely possible.

Application is anything you want to shoot with a 77 gn TMK and making it as effective as possible.

Thanks!

Reactions: nn8734
Why the 77 TMK, and not one of the other 77's or even the 69's ? At what distance do you plan to shoot your short barrel AR's at ?
. With the TMK's you are going to loose some case capacity due to seating depth deeper in the case to be able to function through an AR magazine
Ball powders like AA 2230, AA2520, WW 748, Western's TAC will let you get a little more in the 223 case.

I managed to get my hands on some 77 grain TMKS for the 5.56.

What is the best powder to pair with them for maximum velocity out of a 10.5" and 14.5" AR?

I see there is a ton of info out there, but didn't know if there is a consensus on some of the best powders for this application.

Thanks!
I have been researching this exact same thing for a 10.5".

So far the most promising candidates are H335 and H322.

Why the 77 TMK, and not one of the other 77's or even the 69's ? At what distance do you plan to shoot your short barrel AR's at ?
. With the TMK's you are going to loose some case capacity due to seating depth deeper in the case to be able to function through an AR magazine
Ball powders like AA 2230, AA2520, WW 748, Western's TAC will let you get a little more in the 223 case.
77 grain bullets are the gold standard for SBR activities, specifically in a CQB role. The ballistic coefficient and all that has zero bearing on this application.

There are other bullets such as 75 grain that work well too. If you go below that the results are HIGHLY dependent on the bullet design.

Imr 8208 for temp table precision loads

Aa2520 or Tac, cfe 223, for close range loads where a slight increase or decrease in velocity will never be noticed.

Reactions: reubenski
I have been researching this exact same thing for a 10.5".

So far the most promising candidates are H335 and H322.
AA2520, between 24.5-25g should give you nice velocity with no pressure. Im using LC 1x brass, R7-1/2 srp…tricky part is finding the stuff if you don’t already have some…

Reactions: 264Proto
AA2520, between 24.5-25g should give you nice velocity with no pressure. Im using LC 1x brass, R7-1/2 srp…tricky part is finding the stuff if you don’t already have some…
Powder actually hasn’t been very hard to find lately. PV had a bunch of stuff in stock this morning. I scored 8# of 8208. They have cfe223 and aa2520 at the time also

Powder actually hasn’t been very hard to find lately. PV had a bunch of stuff in stock this morning. I scored 8# of 8208. They have cfe223 and aa2520 at the time also
That’s good news…i havent looked real recently but glad to hear powder availability is improving..

Reactions: BlueLacy
That’s good news…i havent looked real recently but glad to hear powder availability is improving..
I gave up for a while and started looking again the past week and got everything I wanted. I’ve seen just about everything come instock and stay there for more than 45 seconds all week long. Pistol powder of all flavors, every hodgdon extreme powders, retumbo/h1000 included, and all the good 223 powders

Yep, AA2520 will give you the higher velocities, but I got more consistency with TAC (and PV has some in stock)

Reactions: bunsen27
I gave up for a while and started looking again the past week and got everything I wanted. I’ve seen just about everything come instock and stay there for more than 45 seconds all week long. Pistol powder of all flavors, every hodgdon extreme powders, retumbo/h1000 included, and all the good 223 powders
Im somewhat in the same boat but bought a bunch of high demand powders I didn’t use in early 2020 just as everything was going Covid ape shit and was able trade them all for a while bunch of AA2520 and Varget. Prior to AA2520, i was using TAC for my 77smk/tmk loads…good consistency but velocity wasnt there. Plus, you have to run TAC to pressure to get the most out of it.

Ill start checking the usual vendors for supply more frequently.

23.5 gr H4895 in mixed brass FGMM primer and MY barrels over RL15 and Varget.

Yep, AA2520 will give you the higher velocities, but I got more consistency with TAC (and PV has some in stock)

Thats interesting

My observations were different

16" barrel

77gr OTM shoot very consistently with 24.8gr 2520

Inconsistent results with a variety of loads with TAC

I have great results with TAC with 55gr FMJ and 26.8 gr TAC

Very consistent and capable of impressive velocities.....

24gr 8208XBR and the 77gr SMK has been magic in about 10-15 different ARs that I have shot this load in. It's a little hot but works and have never blown a case with this load. Most people should get that combo to group at 23.4-24grs.

Agreed... tac all the way if you have it. Powder measure eats it well too.

Got some great speeds with it and acceptable accuracy in 69 and 77 flavors, but it needed to be loaded hottish, say between hot 223 data and 5.56. So we ll say it seemed best in 5.56 level loads in several rifles here.

I had got some stupid velocity with 25.6gn of cfe223 with a 75bthp . Damn near 2900 FPS with a 18” barrel. Yes it was a little warm

318F4631-5F38-485C-9602-9D37F4D8B1A3.jpeg
7833DC06-91DB-46FD-A516-3DA53885A082.jpeg