• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 77grn hunting bullet selection and reloading advice.

Unclesmack

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
So I just got done building a precision AR in 5.56 and im trying to find a factory load the rifle likes but im finding it hard to find heavier ammo other than hornady. Black hills is sold out everywhere. So ive decided im going to start reloading my own hunting/match ammo. The bullets I choose need to do both interchangeably if possible. Need some suggestions on bullet seating depth, bullet selection, powder etc. not super new to reloading but ive never reloaded for a semi auto platform.
E88617D0-AD08-4672-BEAF-D5AD3F67DAEA.jpeg

For factory loads I'd look for some Federal Gold Medal Match 77gr also Norma Match 77gr is pretty good. both are loaded with 77gr SMK's.

Many have tried to clone the Black Hills 77gr load (Mk 262 Mod 1), but the powder they use for that load is not available commercially. You can get close, but many run into pressure issues before they achieve the velocity. Johnny's Reloading bench has something like a 15 or 17 part series on all the permutations he has tried. Lots of info out there via Google.

IMR 8208XBR is a good powder choice for .223 / 5.56 loads as is Ramshot TAC in my experience. TAC is plentiful currently but 8208XBR is shipped in from Australia and is very scarce. Mid South Shooter Supply will allow a back order and should be able to fill it in 1-3 months. They just fulfilled my back order today actually.

Bullet selection can vary from the 73/75/77 offerings.

What barrel do you have? (maker, length, twist, chamber)

I have a noveske 18” lightweight spr barrel. 1-7 twist. 5.56 chamber its actually cut for the mk262 round

I have a noveske 18” lightweight spr barrel. 1-7 twist. 5.56 chamber its actually cut for the mk262 round
The 77gr SMK's will serve you well then.

I've had great terminal performance out of the Hornady 73gr ELD-M's in my bolt gun, but the bullet appears to be a be hit or miss (accuracy wise) in AR's even though it was designed to be seated a AR mag length. If you can get it to shoot in your barrel, it should work nicely on yotes, but it might be a little too light for larger pigs.

There are several threads on the Hide about the 73gr ELD-M's:

Reactions: UState48
I have had great results with the IMI 77gr Razorcore that uses the SMK and is supposed to be the Israeli version of the mk262. I am shooting it out of a 18" 1-8 AR.

I have had great results with the IMI 77gr Razorcore that uses the SMK and is supposed to be the Israeli version of the mk262. I am shooting it out of a 18" 1-8 AR.

What velocity are you seeing? I was getting 2850 on a 80ish day. I wasn't expecting that velocity. Shot well too.

24 to 24.5 Varget, I shoot 24 grains.
24 grains is 2700 fps, 24.5 is 2750.

I haven't loaded it yet but 23.2 of IMR8208 is in the same ball park.

What velocity are you seeing? I was getting 2850 on a 80ish day. I wasn't expecting that velocity. Shot well too.
That stuff can vary greatly depending on lot. Had one lot that was 2770 out of a 20" barrel. Next lot was 2880.

77gr SMKs have worked well for me. 77gr Lapua Scenars are extremely accurate, but not sure how they perform on game. Load to max mag length with either Varget or VVN-140.