• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 AR-15 build advice

wackedoutstudios

Private
Minuteman
Hello, everyone. I've been thinking of building an AR-15 in 5.56 and have come up with an initial build list. My list comes to around $1800 without sights or optics and that's about the top, although I'm open to at least considering more expensive options. I've decided on a 16” barrel, and would like it to be as accurate as I can get it, while not being too expensive or ridiculously heavy. Other than that, I'm open to any suggestions or even not building and buying assembled if I can get considerably more for my money that way.

I'm pretty new to semi autos, and this will be my first build, so I was hoping some of you would just look over my list and tell me if you see any issues or weak links. I also have a number of more general questions.

When a gunsmith builds an AR, what goes into it besides assembling the parts? I have a basic understanding of what goes into a custom 1911 or custom bolt gun, but am not sure what a custom AR would have done that would not be done in a normal factory build or non-gunsmith assembly.

Similarly, I believe I have chosen mostly high quality parts below, at least where I understand it would lead to accuracy and reliability. What type of accuracy would I expect from this build.
At the end of my list are some uppers and full weapons. Would I be better off just buying one of those? At the low end I could go with the LWS for around $1375 and have guaranteed MOA accuracy maybe better? At the Upper end, outside of the budget but still somewhat of a consideration, the Les Baer at $2350 guarantees 10 shot .5moa accuracy. Would I be out of line to expect somewhere around .5moa for the Vtac/Noveske and .5 to .75 for the Rainier upper?

Rainier Arms UltraMatch Billet Upper - 180
Young National Match Chrome BCG – 230
Noveske 16” Recon Barrel - 455
Vortex Flash Hider – 55
Spikes Ejection Port Cover and Kit – 14
Spikes Forward Assist Kit – 12
Gunfighter Charging Handle – 45
Loki Weapon Systems M4 Free-Float Modular Handguard and Rails – 200

Spikes Tactical Forged Lower - 100
Geissele, ssa-e or sd-e – 225
Spikes Standard Lower Parts Kit – 70
Magpul MOE Pistol Grip – 21
Spikes Collapsible Buttstock Kit – 62
MOE mil spec Buttstock – 60

Upper Total - 1191
Lower Total - 538
Grand Total - 1729

Other Considerations
Upper: High Caliber REECE – 1510
Upper: Rainier Arms UltraMatch 5.56mm 16” - 1195
16” LaRue Tactical PredatAR 5.56 – 1495
Loki Weapons Systems M4 Forged Tactical Rifle, Geissele upgrade – 1375
VTAC/Noveske 16” Stainless Combat Carbine – 2080
Les Baer Custom Special Tactical Rifle .223/.556 - 2350

Thanks everyone for the help.

Re: 5.56 AR-15

If you ever plan to sell it, I would buy a complete upper/rifle from one of the builders you listed. Home builds dont seem to retain value as well.

The upper receiver already comes with a forward assist and ejection port.

If getting the Noveske barrel, I would get a matched bolt from them too. Otherwise I would get a normal BCG from Colt, LMT, BCM, or DD.

If I had that budget I would get the PredatAR and call it a day. I would've gotten it if they sold the uppers separately (I use two uppers on a single lower). Keep in mind that the accuracy will drop as the barrel heats up though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you ever plan to sell it, I would buy a complete upper/rifle from one of the builders you listed. Home builds dont seem to retain value as well.</div></div>

^^ This right here is the reason I chose to purchase a top shelf AR (twice) rather than build my own. With a known builder (POF, GAP, LWRC, LMT, Noveske, KAC, BCM, Larue, etc) you can typically get most of your investment back if you ever decide to sell it whereas a custom built setup is harder to move.

In addition to that, with a complete AR you'll have a warranty if something malfunctions whereas if you build your own, it's coming out of your own pocket.

As I'm sure you've read on the Hide; buy once, cry once. Save your money and purchase exactly what you want instead of what you can afford for the time being as it will save you money in the long run.

I'm in the middle of building a cheapy (750 worth of parts to re-do an existing rifle) one that is as you describe. Should be done + range report next week. Using a 225$ rainier match 16" if it doesn't shoot I have a 90 day return guarantee will get one of their match 365$ instead.

Homebuilts don't generally hold their value in comparison with a known builder or company but either way you'll still lose money.

edit: look at bravocompany for a pre-built upper as well should be able to get something for sub 1k complete.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I think I may just hold off on building the upper, for now. I noticed a Noveske group buy going on that really pushes me in that direction. I'm currently thinking of building the lower I have listed above and buying the Noveske 16” Stainless Combat Carbine upper.

Which leads me to another question, if you don't mind. How much does the lower receiver affect accuracy of the upper? In other words, are there any other lower parts I should consider to get the most accuracy out of the rifle?

Thanks,
Matt

To further clarify my last question. Would upgrading the stripped lower to a Seekins or using a different lower parts kit or buttstock kit in any way affect accuracy? How about durability or reliability? I'm under the impression that the advantages of going with a different lower receiver would be things like, aesthetics, quick access mag release, large front grip, and beveled mag well opening, but not actually any potential gain of accuracy or durability.

The lower wont help you accuracy wise. A good trigger will. The uppers and barrels will effect accuracy more than anything else. Also a loose/floppy stock doesn't help. Ar's are a bit harder to drive than a bolt rifle so keep that in mind when you shoot your first group.

Not saying that people do or don't know how to assemble a accurate and reliable AR, they are the leggo gun parts wise. What you will get from a complete rifle from a manufacture is tested parts that work well together.

I built this one last year but, solid rifle. May be a little over the budget, but you can at least see some of the parts I used, hope it helps, good luck.

Noveske N4 16" Recon 5.56mm Rifle 11" split rail w/Switchblock
SOPMOD Buttstock
GAS BUSTER PRI Charging handle
Ambi Selector
MIAD Pistol Grip
Troy/Noveske BUIS
magpul ladder rails x2
Tango down rail covers x2
Shmitt&Bender short dot LE 1.1-4
American Defense mount recon
Geissle SSA trigger
SUREFIRE 556K MB