• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 / AR Load Development

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
I have an AR with a red dot on it. I'm trying to do some sort of load development for it, but it's much different than bolt guns. I can hardly tell where I'm aiming at 50 yards, trying to shoot groups with it. I guess if a red dot is my sighting system, I can't be too worried about precision. But at the same time, I don't want it shooting 8" groups because of the load at 100 yards either. Any tips on how to do load development better? I don't really want to add a magnifier to it, or buy one. I thought about using my cell phone or some other device to get a better sight picture for load development. Mounting my cellphone up on a tripod and using the camera might work. Hopefully I'm not the only one that is this crazy!

What do you look for in AR load development? Just creep up to the max book load, shoot it over a chronograph, and watch for pressure signs? Pressure signs are different than in a bolt gun - what are they?

I know many people go over the book max with bolt guns. Is this a bad idea with an AR?

I have a 14.5" barrel and a 10.5" barrel, shooting 77 grain TMKs. What should be my goal?

Thanks!

You need a scope to do load development if looking for accuracy.

Reactions: simonp
You are not crazy, just frustrated.

Most important unanswered question is.....What profile are you going to shoot once you have this load developed--plinking, 2 MOA steel, paper, competition?

Scope is the best course of action. Alternatively, depending on what discipline you will eventually shoot, get a 3X magnifier.

You could do a 100 yard load development with just your red dot with one of the following methods:

1. What ever the MOA of your red dot is, use a same size target. If your dot is 2 MOA use a 2 MOA target. Dim the red dot to the point that you can still see it as it covers the target. Red dot covers target and shoot.

2. Target is a black +. Each strip is 1 inch wide by 6 inches long. Again red dot dimmed, aim for the cross.

I developed a very nice consistent MOA + load on an SBR with a Delta Point Pro.

Good luck

Reactions: ShtrRdy and mettee