• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 reloading question

filmgear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Charleston, SC
New to reloading. I have a Rockchucker Supreme single stage aand a partner press that I use just for decapping. I have the carbide die set for .308/7.62, but I'd also like to reload 5.56mm since I also have several AR's that I shoot often. I don't have any bolt rifles so my usage is strictly semi auto 5.56mm.

I know I have to FL size each case, but I read conflicting information about getting short based AR dies, while others are dead set against them and some even recommend the RCBS X-die for this caliber. Most recommend not to crimp which is fine by me. Then others swear by Lee, Redding or other.

While I plan on buying a Dilling 550B in the future after I gain experience with the single stage press, which .223 die set should I get for my current setup? I have no problem buying carbide dies, but there is a 50/50 opinion on the benefits of them. And because of the tight tolerance of the small base die, I keep reading about cases getting stuck due to not being properly lubed.

Looking for a simple solution based on you guys experience and if you recommend one brand over another.... what makes them different? Thanks in advancde.

Re: 5.56 reloading question

Any full length die set should work. I use a small base sizer, but I've also used standard Lee sizer w/o issues. The only carbide sizers I've used in rifles are Dillon. Lube is still required! I think they're worth the extra $$$ if sizing a lot of MG fired 7.62 brass, but the 5.56 MG fired brass is easy enough to size with steel dies.

If you're going to load a lot of mil-surp 5.56 brass, go with the small base, IMHO.

never had any issues running my 550B with a Dillon FL die set... not one.

I have a Redding full length die for my 5.56/.223 and have loaded thousands of rounds on the same RCBS press you have. Stuck a case once and that was 'cause I screwed up. Learned how to build my own extractor and have used it just that one time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never had any issues running my 550B with a Dillon FL die set... not one. </div></div>

I've done a few thousand rounds with my Dillon 550b and Dillon .223 die set. Works great, and I have no complaints about it.

I do crimp my .223 since it all goes into autoloaders. The Dillon crimp die works well, as does the Lee factory crimp. Take your pick on them, I can't tell a difference in accuracy or consistency.

My other thoughts:

The Dillon carbide .223 die set is really a waste of money for the home reloader. If you're a type 06 FFL pounding out thousands of rounds a day on a 1050, it might be worth it... maybe. It is a bit smoother running than the normal die, but nowhere near enough to justify the increased cost for the typical user.

I've tried the X-die, and my opinion is that it was a waste of money. It did nothing my Dillon sizer didn't do already.

I've used LEE dies for 1000's of round's, with very little crimp. Just enough to lightly squeeze the bullet

I have been loading for my ARs for about 2 years and recently upgraded to the Small Base sizing die. I am using the RCBS one as it was what was available locally when I needed one. I started using this due to getting ahold of a lot of MG brass and it seems to work a bit better across the board in multiple chambers.
Best tip I have gotten for this that might be helpful is to use Hornady 1 Shot spray lube in a gallon ziploc, spray it well, mix it around, let it sit for a couple minutes a size away. I do spray the inside of the die as was suggested and make sure to clean it every 1k rds or so. Fastest way I have found without going to a Dillion since I dont have enough room in my reloading area. Also works great for my .308 brass, as it has more than trippled my resizing rate for that as well.
I use a Lee crimp die and it works great, FWIW. I use it due to local availability as well as price.

I have no complaints about Hornady, Dillon or Redding. All are tighter than sammi spec. by .001, so think about them being semi-small base dies.
The dillon's come with a carbide expander now, the Redding can be upgraded for $12, and I don't think there are any plans in the works for Hornady on the expander. If you really want to go whole hog, buy the dillon full carbide dies.

John Paul over at JP Enterprises (and he knows auto-loaders) strongly recommends a Dillon carbide die for loading .223/5.56 in his AR platform rifles; and recommends a Redding bushing die for bolt-action. I took his advice on both items and have been beyond pleased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John Paul over at JP Enterprises (and he knows auto-loaders) strongly recommends a Dillon carbide die for loading .223/5.56 in his AR platform rifles; and recommends a Redding bushing die for bolt-action.</div></div>

I’m curious about this. Did he say why? Was he talking about the standard Dillon sizer that has a carbide expander or was he talking about the die with a carbide sizer ring? Only advantage I could think of would be if sizing and charging in the same operation. The smoother operation of the carbide might give more consistent charges.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GentleBen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John Paul over at JP Enterprises (and he knows auto-loaders) strongly recommends a Dillon carbide die for loading .223/5.56 in his AR platform rifles; and recommends a Redding bushing die for bolt-action. I took his advice on both items and have been beyond pleased.
</div></div>

I did not know JP recommended this particular combination, but it just so happens that use it just that way. Dillon carbide F/L for 5.56 and Redding Type-S bushing die for my .308 bolt guns.

Both systems turn out very accurate ammo. I am well pleased with both.

Understand that with everything manufactured there are allowable "tolerances" for passing quality control and being sold.

Not every die is the same size inside. Not every chamber is the same size.

I used Pacific .223 dies for years (M700 Rem. and Ruger Mini 14) so I used them when I got into AR15's. Then I inherited a set of Lee .223 dies and they seemed to work fine, plus I like the decaping pin that "backs" up when a pesky berdan primed case sneaks into the pile of just cleaned brass.

I built 2 or 3 more AR15's or so and they all worked just fine with my reloads. Then I built my ultimate just like I want it AR15 carbine. Seven out of ten rounds made with the Lee dies wouldn't chamber. One or two out of twenty rounds made with the Pacific dies wouldn't chamber. I got a set of RCBS X dies and every round made with those feeds just fine in my carbine.

Okay, its the rifle. Five other AR15's don't care about which die set I use. My "ultimate" carbine is picky. Factory ammo works great in that rifle but the resized cases are touch and go unless I use the X dies.

Oh, headspace checked (on all of them just to compare) and the carbine checks out okay.

Every rifle is different than the one next to it.

I use a Rock Chucker and all RCBS dies and tools. I find there is no substitute for case lube and I belive that the old roll pad is the best vs spray on lube. The case just sizes easier with fewer broken de cap pins and stuck cases when they are lubed
I do not crimp any of them and have not had a problem. As long as they are Full length sized and not Neck sized you should be good in most all 556 chambered rifles. RCBS makes great products and they have great customer service.

TriggerHappy44

Military chambers are known for being slightly larger in diameter and longer in headspace. There is a mil-spec requirement that 5.56 brass be harder than .223 brass. When fired the brass will expand outward to meet the chamber walls and in length to chamber headspace length.

Bottom line, sometimes brass needs to be sized using a small base die,as an example if it has been fired in a M249 machine gun. BUT be fore warned you will be squeezing the base diameter smaller than normal with a small base die and the brass will have further to expand to contact the chamber walls when fired.

Over resizing the brass will shorten its reloading life and how many times the case can be reloaded. I have never used once fired 5.56 brass from a M249 SAW and in 45 years of reloading I have NEVER used a small base die.

Minimum resizing will extend case life which includes bumping the shoulder back .002 to .004 for a semi-auto gas gun.

A normal .223 die should fit your needs for your AR and I have two die sets, a RCBS for my AR15s and a Forster bushing die for my bolt action .223.

To keep things simple I would start with a standard RCBS die and then if you decide to buy once fired brass you can buy a small base die. In my opinion as long as your using brass fired in your rifle a small base die is not needed. Your using a .223 die which is already smaller than a military chamber and most of the time a small base die is overkill and is hard on your brass.

I have three five gallon buckets of once fired .223/5.56 brass and I haven't needed a small base die.

halfdone.jpg

bucketsofbrass.jpg

As you can see below a .223 chamber is slightly smaller than a 5.56 chamber. This means the .223 die is already making the brass smaller for a military chamber than it would for a .223 chamber.

762chamberreamer.jpg

223-556-b.jpg

556hard-a.jpg

hardness-a.jpg

I started with once fired military brass for reloading 5.56. I used the standard RCBS .223/5.56 die set. I have had good success with this simple set, and don't have feed problems or other problems with any of the finished product yet. For what ever it's worth....
I also haven't crimped any of the bullets, and haven't seen any bullet slippage problems yet either...