• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 to .22 conversion

weston

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2008
Kentucky
I thought I might post this in the rimfire sectiion also,please let me know if this not cool.

I was doing some reading on converting my STAG-15 5.56 into a .22. I understand that it is fairly easy to do, and apparenty all you need it a bolt carrier assembly and magazine. No barrel change? Is this ok to do? It seems like a fairly inexpensive way to make another rifle. Opinions please.

Thanks

Re: 5.56 to .22 conversion

Several companies make drop in adapters that fit in your existing chamber and fire the .22 out of your existing barrel. I've heard some complain that it is not as accurate as a dedicated upper but it did fine enough for me while plinking. I had a CMMG style conversion for awhile.

Just be aware that it may be finicky with ammo selection, or at least mine was.

I have a spikes tactical conversion kit. It came with the bolt carrier assembly, a magazine and some extra springs for the carrier. Its a blast to shoot...Gotta clean thoroughly so there isnt too much fouling with the .22...

i have a ceiner kit and love it. i have read plenty of complaints about it being finicky and only working when it was clean but haven't had a single problem. i think i shot at least (3) 550 round boxes of federal bulk ammo without a single malfunction. it was dirty as sin but i just kept adding break-free and shooting it more. i did clean it really good before shooting 5.56 through it again.

it was accurate enough to easily and quickly hit a soda can sized target at 25 yards or so. i never shot it for groups since i don't shoot my ar for groups.

I have a chrome CMMG. Works great with the Right ammo. just have to try a few brands and you will be fine. 22lr ammo is cheap enough to experiment with so have at it.

I have the polished stainless CMMG bolt kit (did they ever make a chrome one?) and it works great. Some uppers experience a bullet-up jam that's annoying - the fix for that is their poly anti-jam charging handle.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/Anti-Jam-Charging-Handle-for-Drop-In-Conversion-.22-1531
1531-2267_th.jpg

Very easy to convert, takes all of 30 seconds on the range. I do not fire 223 again until I brush out the bore a bit.

The polished stainless model has been more reliable for me than the earlier Ciener and CMMG parked models that I had. The polished finish seems to pickup less crap than the parked models did.

I have a ceiner one. It looks very close to the CMMG ones they are putting out except they use Stainless Steel. I have not had any problems with mine at all. I use the cheap federal 550 boxes. It is not as accurate as the models that built as a dedicated 22lr upper but I can bounce a pop can at 100yds. That will not win any SR comps but still very fun. I would think I have over a full case down range with this kit. Just remember if you are using it for training you will want to pop off a few 223 every now and again. The reason I say that is I was so used to shooting 22lr when I tapped off my first round of 223 is was a shock. The noise and muzzle blast was a wakeup call. My first round went right where I wanted it and fast. It took a while to fire the second round because I was not ready for the shock of 223. Now I still do run and gun stuff and shoot a lot of 22lr for training but I always shoot at least 30 rds of full pressure 223. It really helps me stay sharp and it saves a tone of cash.

Only if there was a cheaper mag that was good. Those blackbog mags do not hold up to ND winters. The ceiner mags are spendy and do not convert to a standard 223 mag easily.

The welds on my older cmmg conversion gave out after 1k rounds or so. I welded back up myself and haven't had any problems since. The newer stainless ones look to be of much better quality. They feed the wally world value pack .22 with an occasional jam. But I can deal with that with the cash you save plinking .22 all day.

I've use a ciener kit and it seems to work fine still jams when dirty. The dedicated upper I bought from Spikes seems to work better. Then again it is chromed. .22 can get real dirty sometimes. I would get a dedicated upper rather than use my 556 barrel.