• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

$5-7000 Night Vision

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    I would appreciate some guidance from any of you NV sluts. I’m bogged down in the technology and what I really need vs want. I think my budget is fairly decent. I can maybe stretch it a little higher.

I want some NV capability. I hunt mostly in the PA mountains / forests. Also some farms I have access too. Would like to add night scouting for whitetail, Fox, coyote, bobcat to my skill set. Also have the capability to shoot at night.

I would also likefor whatever I buy to be useful for tactical night shooting courses and the like.

so far what I can come up with is some type of Gen 3 Autogated white phos goggles on a helmet mount. am I on the right track here?

I have aplenty of custom bolt guns and a few custom ARs. And thought about adding a Dbal or MAWL to one of my gas guns to accomplish the night time predator hunting.

Reactions: TheHorta
    When you hunt, do you pick a spot and sit, or do you move around a lot?

If the former, I'd invest in the new N-Vision Nox, probably in 35mm. If the latter, I'd still recommend a thermal spotter, PVS-14 on some type of melon rig, a Surefire Vampire of some sort on your rifle, and probably a TNVC/Steiner TOR IR aiming laser (for inside 100 yards).

The nice thing about the Nox is it can go from being helmet-mounted to weapon-mounted very quickly. There are still a few unknowns about it in regard to how reliable RTZ is when swapping between head and gun, but I have high hopes for it.

If you’re in PA I’d caution against many of the laser units. After checking with some up to date game warden friends they’re totally cool with either LED or laser illuminators for lighting stuff up, but zeroable targeting dots are a no-go. It’s forbidden to have something on the gun that can be zeroed and used as an aiming device. How that applies to illuminators you can tighten way down and even zero they weren’t sure... LUNA is what I had in mind but is probly a little borderline. D2 and MAWL unfortunately out.

Reactions: TheHorta
    That’s odd. Because they readily sell pistols with crimson trace laser grips on them. Do you mean just for hunting purposes?

Just figured that’s what you wanted to do with your lasers when you said “To accomplish the night time predator hunting”...
    I’m not saying lasers are illegal to possess or use for non-hunting purposes in PA. Rock on for those. Just passing along some recent feedback now that things are open to use NV/Thermal for yotes here.

Yeah I figured I could use a Dbal or MAWL to target yotes through Nods. I’ll have to look in my PA hunters manual.

The thermal/NCC language hasn’t been added to the guide yet - will be in next year’s printing. But the language on aiming lasers is pretty clear in both the game commission and state legislature codes of PA law. I’d avoid them and go illuminators only if you want to stay legal. Then clip-ons or passive aiming.

my current thought is to do bridged photonis tubed PVS14s in Vyper Housings on a Wilcox L4 shroud and G24 Mount via dove tails. Then possibly down the road swap off one of the PVS14S and throw on some type of thermal device to have bridged NV/Thermal nods.

my other option is to just buy dedicated RNVGs now and lose the modularity of a dual PVS14 setup.

🤷

• Love
    Reactions: Eliteuas
    You can get in to what you need for the price, but maybe not what you want ? As stated above, for hunting purposes the lasers are out and a no-go here in PA. You'll have to sort out the hunting vs tactical classes/shooting needs first. grab a used PVS 14 ( 1800-2000 ish) , a good helmet and mount ( 500ish) find a D760 or armasight unit online, ( 3500 ish) a decent IR illuminator , and a steiner otal c IR, and can prob get it all for your price point. and you can do both of what your looking for or just for jumping into NV. Binos are great for scouting/walking/ shooting laser guns, but prob really tough to hunt with here in PA ?, SO your into a dedicated NV scope, or a clip on. pvs27s running about 4500 ish are a great option for hunting, but may not leave you enough for the helmet/14. You may have to decide what type of shooting you want to do more of? my .02 is not worth anything though lol. Good luck . Long time man hope all is well.

Not sure if your still here local to Pgh or not, if you are you should come out to a night shoot and try some stuff out? Get a feel of what you want/need ? shoot a pm if your still in the burgh.