• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5/8-24 Thread Bell Mouth

Id rather know if those are quality stress relived barrels or a green mountain or other cheapy. Looks like an ar handguard all of em are passing through so Id guess they are cheap barrels and a quality barrel wont bell under the threads to nearly that degree.

But removal of material has long been known to let stresses relieve like that.

Yup nobody should get their muzzles threaded because a 7 year old video on YouTube using unknown barrels says so. Lol I’ll stick with my own experience and thread my muzzles for brakes. Thanks.

Hahaaa this exactly what I didn't need to see! I've been asking around to see if I should be worried about having my m700 barrel threaded

This topic comes down to bore diameter, and more importantly barrel stress relief.

Can't remember how many muzzles I've threaded 5/8-24 and gauge pinned, sometimes even with .0001" pins and seen no bell. The ONLY one that has ever belled was a "gunsmith special " green mountain button barrel ($40).

Keep .100" side wall and a decent pipe and all is good in the hood.

Not saying this happens in every case, but it is odd to me seeing a lot of rifles with heavy contours and puny 5/8 threads on the business end.

But how do they shoot?
Exactly! That's what it comes down to. All this fear mongering about threaded barrels giving accuracy issues cracks me up when a vast majority of barrels people post pics of and groups from on this site have threaded muzzles.

Reactions: rydah
I’ve had a few gunsmiths warn me against 1/2x28 on certain situations, as well as have mentioned 5/8x24 but said it’s a lot less common of an issue with a quality barrel. I’ve threaded most of my barrels 5/8x24 cause that is what is most popular with muzzle brakes for availability. That’s said I won’t be threading my new rimfire barrel at first to test accuracy and going to thread later to see if it effects it

Reactions: Stoweit
This has been proven and debunked a load of times. Addequately stress relieved barrels should never bell-mouth.

Does it effect accuracy ? Does it effect ES / SD ? Does it induce fliers ?

Why is no one asking "what is the bearing surface of the bullet, in measured distance, VS the bellmouthed distance ? Might be important.. 😉

This has been proven and debunked a load of times. Addequately stress relieved barrels should never bell-mouth.

Does it effect accuracy ? Does it effect ES / SD ? Does it induce fliers ?

Why is no one asking "what is the bearing surface of the bullet, in measured distance, VS the bellmouthed distance ? Might be important.. 😉
Are all barrels adequately stress relieved though? People get all kinds of factory barrels threaded as an aftermarket service: Ruger, Remington, Savage, etc.

I've heard cut rifled barrels wont do this, but some button rifled barrels can do this. Same with fluting a barrel, okay to flute a cut rifled barrel, probably not a good idea to flute a button rifled barrel.

I flute button rifled barrels, no issue. The ones i do it to are stress relieved, so never had a problem. Ive yet to have a cut rifled barrel open up, however i have not machined one and tested it in a while.

@crick24 good question. Factory barrels are rarely post stress relieved (to my limited knowledge), and will have a bell mouthing effect.

Reactions: rydah
Are all barrels adequately stress relieved though? People get all kinds of factory barrels threaded as an aftermarket service: Ruger, Remington, Savage, etc.

Do you know how many people get factory barrels threaded or shortened or threaded? There are quite a few I see on forums that do and never seen a person come back on complaining about pins fitting in the muzzle. They shoot their rifles and have fun. You should do the same if you want to thread the muzzle for a brake or can.

Reactions: westsidecamper
Now I'm over here Thinking things...... lol

Mike R.

Seems to be some conflicting info here haha

I guess the question then becomes: does bell mouthing have a major effect on accuracy, or is it something that's minor and most people never notice?

Last edited:
Seems to be some conflicting info here haha

I guess the question then becomes: does bell mouthing have a major affect on accuracy, or is it something that's minor and most people never notice?
I don’t see anything conflicting.
Belling can have a big effect in accuracy. Good barrels don’t bell though. Shit barrels do. Shit barrels don’t shoot great to start with so the real question is: can the shit barrel shoot well enough in the first place to notice a difference in belling.

And most shooting factory barrels won’t see the difference with that barrel and when they rebarrel it won’t be an issue. That is why all this worry is a waste of time.

Reactions: Ibex24
Old anschutz rifles had a bigger diameter on the end of the muzzle. Thr original claim was for iron sight mounting, so it would align with the receiver easier.

Turns out (supposidly, old folk lore) that anschutz lied. They drill, profile, then button reamed their barrels. The lump at the end would have half a thou or so constriction, acting as a choke.

As for bell mouthing, as i said, many people have "proved" it makes a difference, and many people have "proved" it doesnt.
1903MSR.jpg