• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 5 for 5 Black Bear trip

inspcalahan

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2005
The Last Frontier
Went out with five friends for five bears in five days. We did it. Here's mine.
IMG_3471.jpg

Re: 5 for 5 Black Bear trip

Where in AK were you? Musta been a few weeks ago? Nice job on the bears. A co-worker and another friend each got theirs in the last 2 weeks. Game cams are showing more browns than blacks though.
Again, congrats on a good hunt!

Scored a nice Cinnamon as well last week - Getting a half mount on it cause of a white blaze on its chest
smile.gif

Tis the season - Though its been hot and they are sure to be rubbing...

Awesome looking bear. Congratulations. Fill us in on the story of the hunt.

Nice bear! What did he weigh?

Not sure, but don't taxidermists use "forms"? So couldn't a guy get the skull whitened? They look great sitting on a book shelf, in my opinion. The wife doesn't mind 'em either....uh, 'cept the house is getting kind of full.....
crazy.gif

Congrats on a great bear! Taxidermist do use forms, I have my skulls on display.Spruces up the trophy room.

Great Bear! really like the black colored ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inspcalahan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went out with five friends for five bears in five days. We did it. Here's mine.
IMG_3471.jpg
</div></div>

Great job !

Bear hunting is a blast. Nothing like spot and stalk hunts !

To answer some of the questions and IM's - it was out in Prince William Sound - we boated out of Whittier until we got to a new hunting area that turned into a large bear denning area.

Don't know what he weighed = he squared at 6'6" with a 19" skull. Good bear for this area. It doesn't help in the pics that I'm 6'5" 250 myself
smile.gif

The hide was awesome!!! the hair was 5 1/2-6" long in places and thick as shag carpet.

I originally took my Smith Performance Center .460 to hunt with, but the first few bears with the other guys were all at distance. ( we decided early on that the first bears went to those that had never gotten one before) So, I switched to a rifle - I've always wanted to use a can when hunting just because - and I had a new Noveske N6 that needs a good break in. Couldn't think of a better way to do it.

Dropped him right where he stood with both lungs, heart and the far shoulder gone. He was just out late right before sundown munching on some salt grass along the beach. Interesting to note that the second largest bear of the trip, right behind this guy, was taken about 9 hours earlier less than 200 yards from this place.