• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5 Year Old Broke My AR-50A1 in 5 Minutes!

ssnfa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Let my 5 year old boy "familiarize" himself with my new AR-50A1 and here is the result.

Should be a 2 minute fix with a new part but I wonder if this is going to be a repetitive problem? It appears to me to be made of cheap cast metal.

Last edited:
You peaked my curiosity... How did your 5 year old brake it? Stupid question, what part is that? The bolt release?

Did he pull the bolt back hard? It says in the instruction manual "that" can cause damage. I catch myself doing that too when shooting and keep thinking I need to slow down but have not broken it yet.

It's the bolt stop. I have no idea how he could have done it. He was cycling it, but not hard. I can't imagine he has the strength to have broke it if it was made as it was supposed to have been.

I would call the MFG on that one. Could be defective if a 5 yr old broke that.

Well, they have a limited lifetime warranty so contact them and have the part sent out. If they refuse, tell them you are going to discuss in forums how their rifle is such a piece of junk that it can be disabled by a 5 year old without even trying.

Certainly not something I would except but kids can break anything. Isn't it Pelican who's warranty statement says something to the effect of, "excludes shark bite, bear attack and children under 5".

Did he pull the bolt back hard? It says in the instruction manual "that" can cause damage. I catch myself doing that too when shooting and keep thinking I need to slow down but have not broken it yet.

I can't imagine having to worry about cycling my bolt too hard at risk of damaging something. I run all my bolt guns (Savage 10, Tikka T3, AE MKIII) like I'm trying to rip the bolt out of the rifle, and none of them have shown the slightest hint of damage from it. But then again, kids have a certain way of breaking things that otherwise can't be broken....

Inspiring considering that such quality is what you're going to use to touch off a small bomb inches from your brain bucket.

I can't imagine having to worry about cycling my bolt too hard at risk of damaging something. I run all my bolt guns (Savage 10, Tikka T3, AE MKIII) like I'm trying to rip the bolt out of the rifle, and none of them have shown the slightest hint of damage from it. But then again, kids have a certain way of breaking things that otherwise can't be broken....

There is a difference an AR50 bolt is the size of a small drive shaft it literally weighs about 2-3 pounds and is long, you can really get some momentum going with it. I am not saying that it is not a defective part but it does take significantly more abuse than a standard bolt action.

Mine broke as well. Routine use at the range. They sent me the part with no trouble but obviously not an isolated incident

Certainly not something I would except but kids can break anything. Isn't it Pelican who's warranty statement says something to the effect of, "excludes shark bite, bear attack and children under 5".

lol I was thinking the same thing, and you are right on the quote

Just got off the phone with Armalite customer service. Very nice lady took my info and said a replacement part would be in the mail tomorrow morning. She offered to send the replacement from the get go, no questions asked.

+1 for Armalite as long as it doesn't break again and again.

if they are that quick to send the part, guess what. . . . . should have told them to send you 3 more.
first gen ar50's had a 1/4 bolt holding them in.

I've been around a lot of the newer style AR50's and never saw one broken bolt release.
That'll teach you for letting your 5 year old play with your rifle.
I hope you learned a lesson.

And you wonder why I'm nervous with SuperNick in the shop.....

send me the broken part or bring it out next time and maybe we can build a good one with real metal.

Frank

when you get it take it to a machine shop and get one milled up out of a more quality material?