• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .50 Beowulf vs .50 cal muzzle loader

MontanaKid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Body:Washington. Soul: Montana
I couldn't find much comparing the two. I don't have any experience with either and was hoping someone could give their opinion on ballistics, etc. It would be for blacktail deer if that helps.

Re: .50 Beowulf vs .50 cal muzzle loader

They're not even in the same ball-park. Worldly different in every regard but each has it's place. The .50 black-powder would be far more useful in terms of hunting.

An accurate, scoped inline muzzle loader loaded warm pushing a quality bullet combined with a little practice makes a viable 200 yard deer killer.

My preferred load for my CVA .45 MagBolt is: 100 grains of Pyrodex Triple-Seven pellets pushing a 200 grain Hornady SST/ML sabot. Absolutely devastating on whitetails.

For my T/C Renegade flintlock, I shoot 100 grains of black powder pushing a patched lead round ball and it is extremely effective out to 100 yards. People that haven't seen game killed with lead round ball are amazed when the first see it in action.

I don't know much about the .50 Beuwulf, but I imagine it would be a fun gun for up close and personal work.

I'd definitely be reaching for the inline, if I was interested in efficiency.

-The Kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the end result of a well placed muzzleloader shot? I guess I just worry about overkill. </div></div>

Na, if you place your shot right you won't have to worry about losing meat and that goes for any bullet. My point of view is that the black powder is not only far cheaper but you're also up in the hills with relatively little pressure on the game.

Like with a rifle, it depends on what your bullet hits on the way through the body. I've seen some weird stuff when shooting deer with relatively soft lead round balls and sometimes it's absolutely crushingly destructive. Tuck your shot in just behind the shoulder and meat damage will be minimal, most times. You will probably have to track the critter a hundred yards though.

-The Kid.

Just remember that in Washingfornia you can't hunt during Muzzle Loader Season with a scope. You can in Modern Season though. The rifle has to have an exposed primer and no 209 primers.

I have both would consider performance to be equal. Beowulf being a little better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: polter71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both would consider performance to be equal. Beowulf being a little better. </div></div>

Really? Wow. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just surprised to hear that. I'll have to do some more reading on the available loadings for the .50 Beo.

Depends on bullet selection they're about equal. The advantage goes to Beowulf for being shorter and easier to handle. 30 Ar mag holds 10 rounds of beowulf ammo + one in the chamber if needed. Talk about hog control.

Muzzleloder Ballistics

50 Beowulf Ballistics

I guess I'm a little bias....but muzzleloaders to me are lame, and I've owned both and multiple beowulfs and 458socoms. Love big bore ar's, and plus you have 10rds as fast as you can pull the trigger (Exp. for hogs) if need be.
The Beowulf is effective up to 200yds max, if you can make the first rounds count...either one will work. Check this future weapons eps. On the beowulf , not only will kill anything living on earth, also kills engines blocks in autos (passes all the way through a station wagon )
http://www.alexanderarms.com/index.php/p...sode-video.html
Heres my new custom 50 beowulf pistol ar, better man up to shot this cannon with no buttstock lol
05299292.jpg

985af402.jpg

4ece7543.jpg

I think the load I'm using for hunting is superior to the beowulf. It's 150gr of pyrodex and a 450gr swagged by myself.

I'm not sure of the speed or energy, but I'm sure that bullet alone is bigger than what is loaded in the wolf.

The key disadvantage of the frontstuffer is the unavailability of a quick followup shot.

When our local Wildlife Management Area was recertified from Slug Shotgun/Muzzle Loader to Centerfire; Muzzle Loaders pretty much disappeared from the regular season, and most hunters were successful enough with the centerfires that the later muzzle loader-only season become very sparsely populated.

For some time, Savage offered the 10ML .50 caliber Muzzle Loader, but firearm that has disappeared from their website's product line.

It was advertised as being capable of employiong loads using smokeless powders. The loads and smokelesspowders recommended tended to use shotgun/handgun powders.

A friend and I experiments with rifle powders, and the rifle becoame a much better performer, driving powerband style bullets well up into thehe 2000+ fps range. Sabots will not work with smokeless powder in this rifle.

Without much else to go on, we would 'read' the fired #209 shotgun primers for pressure signs. It shot far, flat, and hard. Terminal performance was admirably adequate at distances of several hundred yards. He died from Prostate Cancer, the gun 'disappeared' from the hands of his gun-unfriendly Wife, and that was the end of the experiment. I cannot to this day make knowledgable comment on the wisdom or safety of our experiments.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key disadvantage of the frontstuffer is the unavailability of a quick followup shot.

When our local Wildlife Management Area was recertified from Slug Shotgun/Muzzle Loader to Centerfire; Muzzle Loaders pretty much disappeared from the regular season, and most hunters were successful enough with the centerfires that the later muzzle loader-only season become very sparsely populated.

For some time, Savage offered the 10ML .50 caliber Muzzle Loader, but firearm that has disappeared from their website's product line.

It was advertised as being capable of employiong loads using smokeless powders. The loads and smokelesspowders recommended tended to use shotgun/handgun powders.

A friend and I experiments with rifle powders, and the rifle becoame a much better performer, driving powerband style bullets well up into thehe 2000+ fps range. Sabots will not work with smokeless powder in this rifle.

Without much else to go on, we would 'read' the fired #209 shotgun primers for pressure signs. It shot far, flat, and hard. Terminal performance was admirably adequate at distances of several hundred yards. He died from Prostate Cancer, the gun 'disappeared' from the hands of his gun-unfriendly Wife, and that was the end of the experiment. I cannot to this day make knowledgable comment on the wisdom or safety of our experiments.

Greg</div></div>

Fascinating story Greg! I wish you could get your hands on the rifle both to use and for the sake of remembering a comrade.

I'd be comfortable with either, but more so/farther with the inline muzzle loader. That's just me though. I'm sure either weapon system would do fine.

I have a .50 Beo and I love hog hunting with it, within 100 yards it dose a world of hurt, but for deer, I would go with the muzzleloader, just because it is more accurate at longer distances. My .50 starts throwing rounds past 100 yards.