• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

50 bmg 2,300 fps

mosquitoshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
Hello 50 BMG shooters. Question for you, I'm loading 750 grain amaxes on top of 215 grains of h50 with coal of 5.750. I'm shooting an AR 50 and the velocity is only 2300 fps. Even though it's half moa at that velocity, isn't that slow? It doesn't seem to like the faster speeds!!!

Seems low to me. I was using 227 gr H50, wcc brass, cci primer and the 750 amax as well. Mine were up closer to 2750, don't have the data in front of me and can't remember exactly

I'm not a 50 shooter and can't offer anything terribly useful, but 2300 does seem very slow. Then again, you can't miss fast enough to make up for poor accuracy...

Have you tried any of Hornady's factory match ammo? They list it with 2820 as the mv. This would, at least, be a useful data point...

I was going to sau chrono too... sometimes they dont read right for whatever reason. Id say 2300 is slow as well.

A bit slow. I don't know about your rifle, but I was able to push up to 225gr of H50bmg safely (besides my shoulder hurting).

Obviously follow all reloading safety procedures and work your way up, paying attention to brass.

A bit slow. I don't know about your rifle, but I was able to push up to 225gr of H50bmg safely (besides my shoulder hurting).

Obviously follow all reloading safety procedures and work your way up, paying attention to brass.

Ledzep, question for you. Or anybody else that has guidance. What COAL are you seating your bullets at? I ask because I am seating mine at 5.750. This makes for a big velocity decline versus if I seated at the factory length of around 5.435". That extra .300" takes a lot of pressure away and thus velocity. Even with 224 grains of H50 seated at 5.750 I am still well under 2,500 fps.

I honestly don't remember. I'm about 7,000 miles from my records right now and it's been about a year since I sold my .50.

If seating longer takes pressure away, add powder to get back to the same pressures. The end result should be higher velocities at the same pressure because of increased internal volume.

If you are seating out so much longer than anyone else you should be hitting the lands pretty hard and jumping pressure....not reducing it. I'm shooting a Boys anti-tank rifle rebarreled in 50 bmg. I can't seat BMG bullets any further out then mil spec or I can't close the bolt. I've not used any of the AMAX bullets in this rifle so I can't give you any details on that but it sure seems like you should be getting higher velocity than you are. Barrel length on the AR is 36" or so if I recall the chamber should be standard. Have you fired any regular BMG type bullets that would help us figure out whether there is a problem somewhere else? How many rounds through the rifle too....is the throat worn so pressures are low? I've got about 2500rds through the current barrel on my rifle and throat erosion is making it harder to hit the lands. It keeps pressures down too though my velocities haven't dropped much. I've been running 235gr of WC872 with 650gr API and getting right at 2850fps.

Frank

222-227 H50, seated out as far as you can seat it without the projo falling out of the case. That's if you have an older AR50 that has a long throat. I call it a factory bore rider chamber. The newer national match chambers are a bit tighter. Your best bet is to seat a projo long and take an OAL measurement. Then chamber it and measure the OAL again. Most times it won't touch the lands, but if it does touch the lands, Make it a couple thousandths shorter and your good to go.