• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 bmg API load data?

buckskin52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
western PA
I am looking for some 50 bmg load data for 647 grain silver tip API pulled bullets. I have been weighing these resized bullets and they are between 642 and 649 gr. I have 9 pounds of H50bmg powder and need some data. I am shooting an EDM windrunner. Thank you.

Re: 50 bmg API load data?

Nobody has anything on this? So far all I have is starting at 213gr and going up to 230 in 2 grain increments with H50bmg. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks.

I shoot 232 grains of H50BMG behind the API projos in both my Barrett M99 and Windrunner M96. They chrono about mid 2700's fps.

I took an advice from lr50bmg here on the Hide and started at about 215-220 and go up by increment of 3 grains until the bolt is stiff. After that, you back off about 5-6 grains and start looking for your nodes. Good luck.

You should also resize the projos yourself with a lee .510 sizer die.I've tested the "resized" projos and they're way out or specs to get even marginal accuracy with them.Some of the projos needed alot of force to get them thru the die.After sizing them again,accuracy improved alot.
STEVE

Don't waste h50 on api's get some 5010 or 860 surplus and start at 212 and work up.

I have run all my API's through a lee 510 resizing die. Hopefully I will get to the range today to shoot some. I will look into the other powders.
thanks

I have to agree, don't wast H50BMG powder on API as they will not shoot any better than with surplus powder. I have found that 220 grains of IMR5010 and 225 of WC860 seem to be the most accurate out of my rifles. 5010 is very close to H50BMG as far as powder charges go. I save my H50BMG and VV20n29 for match bullets.
I have found that when loading sized API, I am getting an OAL spread from 5.410 all the way out to 5.450. Some cannelures are completely showing and some are almost all covered by the case. API bullets very in length drastically. Some are more rounded and some are more pointed.
With all this said, I amazingly have seen instances of 1MOA out of a few of my rifles, 1.5-2 MOA is typical though.

EXCELLENT +1 advice from DesertHK!!!

I load 225 of H50BMG with ball. About 2650fps through a 29 in Lothar walther tube 29" with a 1x15 twist. (Ferret 50 supermatch) I found I'd always have to re-work loads using surplus canister powder. But the price is right.

I use VV24N41, US 869 and H50BMG. Although if I had to choose one it would be H50BMG.

I ALWAYS resize even "resized" pulled projectiles with a CH4D sizing die. It's a PITA-but I have caught oversized rounds that would have been loaded otherwise!!!

PS:don't set shit on fire. Tracer and API have run more 50's off more ranges than I care to mention.
mad.gif

Surplus 5010 or wc860 powder is definatly the way to go if you want to shoot for less $$,but those powders are dirty and they vary from lot to lot.The hodgdon powders are alot cleaner and burn more evenly,so it's not a whaste of powder if accuracy is the intended goal.Plus I love the smell of burnt H50bmg.
STEVE

When I picked up my 50 Bohica the only powder available locally was AA8700. I found 600 API bullets for $175 shipped and I sized them through a Lee .510 sizer die. I worked up a load of 218 grs of the AA8700 and I'm getting 2478 FPS with a Standard Deviation of 11 out of a 24" barrel. I've only got 3 lbs left of the original 5 lbs and it's no longer made so I'm going to have to switch. Too bad because I like it. Since my barrel is so short I don't want to go with a much slower powder. I figure H1000 much serve my needs.

I just purchased 16 lbs of WC870 government pulled surplus powder. It should fit well with my data I've worked out with the AA8700 but I'll still need to start from scratch and work my way up.

The WC860 powder I picked up has way to large of varation between loads. I"m trying to figure out what different powder to use. I did pick up some Hodgon 5010 for a good price. I wish I could still get the AA8700 I had a consistant velocity with it. Now I have to figure out how much H5010 to use on the 647 gr bullets.

I also use 220 grains of 5010 on my API reloads. Very little case stretching.

Are you smoking the necks or are they clean with you 220 load?