• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 BMG brake

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Got an AI AX-ELR in 50 BMG. Recoil is broo-tuhl. Anybody make a better performing brake I could acquire?

Reactions: Sharp Shooter
You need weight more than a new brake. Adding 10 lb makes a world of difference.

Reactions: Hairball
Ok what’s the best way to do that?
Couple options:
  1. Sell your rifle and get a heavier one
  2. Learn a CAD program & design some chassis weights
  3. Befriend a machinist who can do option two, pay them with lots of 50 BMG sessions
I went with option two, but it is not compatible with the AI platform or I would forward you the plans. A a few members on here helped me get them machined and gave tips on drawing plans.

20220505_205601.jpg

Unsure which exact brake it is, but the brake on the aw-50 made it quite pleasurable to shoot, could even pick up the bullet in flight and watch it all the way to target….. otoh, trying to act as a spotter a bit to the left and back of the shooter, every time he fired it was like getting kicked in the face by a horse.

Got an AI AX-ELR in 50 BMG. Recoil is broo-tuhl. Anybody make a better performing brake I could acquire?

I have the AX-ELR and an AR-50 and was surprised how well the AX brake performed on the lighter rifle. There are not too many people making brakes threaded M24x1, I did find this one https://terminatorproducts.co.nz/t6-brake/ but their own video shows that it actually increases recoil over the factory brakes tested...

I could pull the barrel, cut the threads off and re-thread and crown it.

I could pull the barrel, cut the threads off and re-thread and crown it.
Or sell barrel and have a custom one spun up. I don’t think you would want to go below 29” on a 50

You might consider a Terminator T7 brake besides adding some weight.
The standard T7 thread is M36 x 1.5
The dimensions are 62mm, 2.44 ” diameter, 180mm, 7.09” long, weight is 1.695 Kgs, 59.78oz

A 50 BMG round above & 308 round below.
T7-Brake-768x527.jpg

Last edited:
Eye protection is always recommended shooting. I feel those shots in my teeth after some of my hotter loads using the AR50 break.

You might consider a Terminator brake besides adding some weight.
The standard T7 thread is M36 x 1.5
The dimensions are 62mm, 2.44 ” diameter, 180mm, 7.09” long, weight is 1.695 Kgs, 59.78oz

A 50 BMG round above & 308 round below.
View attachment 7901232
And I thought my Terminator T6 was badass… you win. :)

K&P clam shell IS the best. The armalite brake is next and a FCA suppressor with indexable muzzle brake is easy on the ears and recoil at the same time.

Attachments

• 6CCBC2EC-3F0B-4FB7-9CDD-580C45A6CFF5.jpeg
    6CCBC2EC-3F0B-4FB7-9CDD-580C45A6CFF5.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: 232593 and Geno C.
Couple options:
  3. Befriend a machinist who can do option two, pay them with lots of 50 BMG sessions
I went with option two, but it is not compatible with the AI platform or I would forward you the plans. A a few members on here helped me get them machined and gave tips on drawing plans.

View attachment 7899467
i used to do the same but different.

i had some old 1" scope rings laying around

i bough some 1" steel shaft and would attach the scope rings to the pic rails

Reactions: KZP
K&P clam shell IS the best. The armalite brake is next and a FCA suppressor with indexable muzzle brake is easy on the ears and recoil at the same time.
I sent k&p an email. No reply. Anybody got a contact?

I sent k&p an email. No reply. Anybody got a contact?

Ken’s number is on the website. He has the brakes running again and is producing them. (New mill and programming) Call him, it’s the best option.

VHP had an article years ago where a pile were tested side by side. The AR-50 brake is the best but it has 45 degree ports which are loud. The Serbu 3 gill brake is slightly less effective but it 30 degree ports which are quieter for the shooter. Also looks better and fits in a case easier so on balance I think that is the best choice. There may be newer options that are better but they are mostly variations on a theme.

-Alex

VHP had an article years ago where a pile were tested side by side. The AR-50 brake is the best but it has 45 degree ports which are loud. The Serbu 3 gill brake is slightly less effective but it 30 degree ports which are quieter for the shooter. Also looks better and fits in a case easier so on balance I think that is the best choice. There may be newer options that are better but they are mostly variations on a theme.

-Alex
I have Marks 1st and 2nd Gen muzzle brakes. Neither are as effective at recoil management as the AR50. Mark was cool enough to give me one of his Shark Brakes and it was a definite improvement over his previous brake but still, after a long session of shooting the .50 BMG you felt it.

I have Marks 1st and 2nd Gen muzzle brakes. Neither are as effective at recoil management as the AR50. Mark was cool enough to give me one of his Shark Brakes and it was a definite improvement over his previous brake but still, after a long session of shooting the .50 BMG you felt it.
I can't remember which generation the 2" diameter three gill shark brake was but I feel it is fairly comparable to the AR50 brake. both my 50s weigh about the same and side by side the differences isn't much.

-Alex

I can't remember which generation the 2" diameter three gill shark brake was but I feel it is fairly comparable to the AR50 brake. both my 50s weigh about the same and side by side the differences isn't much.

-Alex
2nd Gen. 1st gen looked like holes drilled/machined in it.

Couple options:

View attachment 7899467
I would check out a terminator T5 or T6 brake have guys shooting sub 15LB cheytac s with these without complaint

I would check out a terminator T5 or T6 brake have guys shooting sub 15LB cheytac s with these without complaint
The terminator marketing videos show terminator brakes aren't the most effective. They are a compromise to reduce blast on shooter. Which is fine for certain rifles or calibers.

The most effective brakes may offer a slight percentage reduction at cost of blast in the face and louder report to shooter, which is no fun on a 50.

Adding 10lb was about a 40% increase in mass on my rifle. I can also run a more pleasant brake. No brake change I've seen can give that effect. Swapping brakes is no match for added mass at the end of the day. Especially with the energy output of 50 bmg.

Terminator brakes are definitely some of the most effective brakes ?
I’m sure they are brakes the are also very effective but I can’t think of any big bore brakes that are commonly known to be more effective than the T5 or T6
I’d be interested in other brakes that are more effective
I have two builds in progress ?
Which I why I think you see so many big bore rifles with terminator brakes.
The apa fat bastard gen 1 is Common too but terminator out performs them

The terminator marketing videos show terminator brakes aren't the most effective. They are a compromise to reduce blast on shooter. Which is fine for certain rifles or calibers.

The most effective brakes may offer a slight percentage reduction at cost of blast in the face and louder report to shooter, which is no fun on a 50.

Adding 10lb was about a 40% increase in mass on my rifle. I can also run a more pleasant brake. No brake change I've seen can give that effect. Swapping brakes is no match for added mass at the end of the day. Especially with the energy output of 50 bmg.
My comment encouraged the op to find ways to increase weight as well but I think if one or the the other for recoil reduction I would the choose a good brake
For example:
A 40LB 50BMG rifle 32” barrel with no brake vs
a 20LB 50BMG with a T5 brake
The 20LB rifle would be much more pleasant to shoot IMO

My comment encouraged the op to find ways to increase weight as well but I think if one or the the other for recoil reduction I would the choose a good brake
For example:
A 40LB 50BMG rifle 32” barrel with no brake vs
a 20LB 50BMG with a T5 brake
The 20LB rifle would be much more pleasant to shoot IMO
Yeah. A good brake will reduce perceived recoil by upwards of 70%

-Alex

Terminator brakes are definitely some of the most effective brakes ?
I’m sure they are brakes the are also very effective but I can’t think of any big bore brakes that are commonly known to be more effective than the T5 or T6
I’d be interested in other brakes that are more effective
I have two builds in progress ?
Which I why I think you see so many big bore rifles with terminator brakes.
The apa fat bastard gen 1 is Common too but terminator out performs them

Here is a test. The brakes that have more angle and surface area perform better, but downside is noise and blast on shooter.

Best solution is pick a low blast brake and add weight. 50 bmg in a 36+ lb rifle with low blast brake is way more enjoyable than 26lb with a m99 style brake. My shoulders are no longer bruising yellow after 5 rounds, no muzzle blast goes up my nose, and the noise is perceived lower.

Cadex tremor brake looks like a great brake
Good for recoil. Horrible for pressure wave. After 8 rounds I can’t keep shooting. Needs some type of barricade or a suppressor. The pain in the head is much worse than recoil with my Tremor.

Good for recoil. Horrible for pressure wave. After 8 rounds I can’t keep shooting. Needs some type of barricade or a suppressor. The pain in the head is much worse than recoil with my Tremor.
I swapped mine for the surefire brake. Way better at managing blast wave.

So K&P or Armalite then for .50 brakes? Or has industry produced something better?

4116.jpeg

I thought I had more pics of this brake but I guess I don't. They were pretty effective. I have smaller versions on my winmag and a couple other rifles.

If it’s good, the video doesn’t do it much justice. I’m no expert in the physics of these matters, but it seems like the volume within the break in addition to its ports and their angles determines the recoil reduction. That break is longer than the AR 50 brake, but shallower and about the same width so my guess would be if the volume comes out to be approximately the same it will probably have similar recoil reduction.

For a while, you couldn’t get the AR 50 break. I don’t know what the current status is.

Reactions: 232593
If it’s good, the video doesn’t do it much justice. I’m no expert in the physics of these matters, but it seems like the volume within the break in addition to its ports and their angles determines the recoil reduction. That break is longer than the AR 50 brake, but shallower and about the same width so my guess would be if the volume comes out to be approximately the same it will probably have similar recoil reduction.

For a while, you couldn’t get the AR 50 break. I don’t know what the current status is.
There was another video of it somewhere but I can't find it. I'll admit, it did not look all that impressive in the video I posted.

I know/knew the guys in the video, one of them has passed on. The one that designed the brake. They all said it made it much more pleasant to shoot. They said you felt a lot less pressure in your sinuses when you were shooting. Admittedly, I've never shot a 50 so I don't have a clue.

I thought I had a side view of that brake showing the ports. It has five ports from 0 to 25 degrees I believe. Back port was 0 to sweep the gasses away from the shooter. They are actually a little easier on the shooters ears also. At least that's been my experience with the scaled down versions on my 300, 308 and 223. My 308 had a three port brake on it originally that were all angled back the same and that thing would give me a headache. My 300winmag went from 30 ft-lbs of felt recoil down to 10. The 223 was 1.2, I think it actually jumped forward when you pulled the trigger.

From a 2022 article. Reminds me of the Badger Ordnance FTE except bigger.

1695061394409.png

1695059614763.png

1695060944453.png