• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .50 BMG effects on target?

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
So last night in our defensive position another student and I got into an arguement about the effects of a .50 BMG or 12.7mm at close ranges. He argued that the bullet wouldn't have to actually hit a person to cause a lethal effect, basically stating that the bullet passing with a couple inches of a person would be effect to harm or kill them. He said it was because of when the bullet broke the sound barrier.

I argued that it would be impossible simply becuase if that was the case all my paper targets would get destroyed everytime I shot once. Now I assume I'm right cause I have the experience, though not with a .50 or 12.7mm, to back up what I'm saying. Here's the catch though one of our 0331 instructors said he's tested the theory on a frozen pumpkin and it worked. I find that hard to beleive.

Basically I want to know whether or not the first arguement is valid

I apologize ahead of time cause I know this has been asked before, I just don't have time to search on my own. Thanks for the replies.

Re: .50 BMG effects on target?

Myth busted:

The MythBusters got their hands on a Armalite AR-50 .50 caliber sniper rifle, one of the most powerful rifles available. They then lined up two rows of glass objects, such as windows, wine glasses, cups, and lightbulbs and fired the rifle so that the bullet would pass between both rows. However, the bullet's sonic boom failed to break any of the glass, no matter how close it passed by.

I mean think about it. Think how much energy that supposition implies the bullet is transmitting to the air. The bullet doesn't wait until it's within striking distance of the target and then send it out -- <span style="font-weight: bold">ZAP!</span> -- like some death ray, it's pumping it out all the way from muzzle to impact. What do they think, there's a teenie nukular reactor inside the bullet to keep it pumping out that level of energy?

Recockulous.

I wonder how big the projectile would have to be.. too bad Mythbusters didn't keep going..
grin.gif

I think even artillary wouldn't kill you if it passed over ypur head, but you might lose an eardrum!

Maybe they should redo the test with an APFSDS round from an Abrams? MV of almost 6000 fps might make a difference.

I think the issue here is where the bullet achieves its supersonic status. As previously mentioned, it doesn't wait till it passes the target, then ZAP, goes supersonic and wreaks havoc. The projectiles are supersonic at the muzzle. Speed of sound is around 1100 ft/s depending on temperature and altitude.

Stick the muzzle of that .50 up between the glass objects and the pumpkin head and I think you will see a different result entirely. The muzzle blast is what will mess you up. I don't know if it would be fatal, even from a fifty, but easily deafening and then some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...depending on temperature and altitude.</div></div>

The speed of sound in air is a function only of temperature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...depending on temperature and altitude.</div></div>

The speed of sound in air is a function only of temperature.
</div></div>

Yup. You wouldn't believe how many arguments I've had to that effect. It would seem basic, but somehow otherwise smart people seem unable to grasp it. Essentially, air pressure is different than air density. Understand that, and it makes perfect sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So last night in our defensive position another student and I got into an arguement about the effects of a .50 BMG or 12.7mm at close ranges. He argued that the bullet wouldn't have to actually hit a person to cause a lethal effect, basically stating that the bullet passing with a couple inches of a person would be effect to harm or kill them. He said it was because of when the bullet broke the sound barrier.

I argued that it would be impossible simply becuase if that was the case all my paper targets would get destroyed everytime I shot once. Now I assume I'm right cause I have the experience, though not with a .50 or 12.7mm, to back up what I'm saying. Here's the catch though one of our 0331 instructors said he's tested the theory on a frozen pumpkin and it worked. I find that hard to beleive.

Basically I want to know whether or not the first arguement is valid

I apologize ahead of time cause I know this has been asked before, I just don't have time to search on my own. Thanks for the replies. </div></div>

You must have been talking to the same guy that told me a 50 would take the hide off a sheep if the bullet passes close enough, and take off a human arm without even hitting it.

the mythbusters are punks , i agree a 50 round passing by you wont kill you.

I gotta admit, i cringed a little when i saw the second deer get blasted while it was basically silhoutted. those fifty's go for a bit in the open air....

especially since the first shot was a "gimme", from prone, and he missed the entire deer..........

anyways, if ya miss it won't even knock over the soda bottle you were trying to hit......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armymedic.2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">especially since the first shot was a "gimme", from prone, and he missed the entire deer.....</div></div>

This is what amazed me. 200 yds. Prone. How do you miss that shot? And guys wonder why they get dogpiled when they ask about hunting at 6-800 or even 1000 yds.

John

My goodness, that certianly dont help the image of the longrangehunting crowd. He completely missed the first one and crippled the second one and then these other two honyocks has the audacity to tell him it was a nice shot on camera AND then be stupid enough to display this piece of lunacy to the world. These guys have no business shooting at a Jack rabbit with a 10/22 at 20 yds let alone big game with a .50. What a bunch of Goobers.

Agreed...what a bunch of dimwits. They should have their hunting licenses revoked(if they have any that is).