• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 BMG Loading set up

thedude824

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2020
Tampa FL
ive looked for days and haven't found an answer. Hopefully one of you fine gentlemen can help. I recently purchased a Barrett M82. Ive got an S&B 5-25 I think? I just bought the RCBS 50 BMG ⁸Ammomaster 2. I did not buy dies. My goal is load "mil spec" AP and API rounds. First, can someone recommend dies? The CH4D dies were like $360. I get the feeling those are designed for a gun with much better accuracy than mine. I WAS HOPING for dies that can make safe shootable AP and API. Im still looking up case trimmers, calipers, and ultrasonic cleaners, but would appreciate the help. Lastly, I see H50BMG powder is gone. What powder do you all suggest? I was going to use the CCI #35 primers. Ive got about 400 rounds loaded so as they go, I'll start reloading that brass. Is there anything I missing as far as reloading mil-spec cases? If this information is available somewhere already, a link would be GREATLY appreciated. I really appreciate any help you guys can give.

Last edited:
If you’re just loading milsurp then the RCBS AmmoMaster is a bit too good for what you want. What’s more, you’re stuck with 1 1/2” dies. Not a great choice.
For the price of a set of RCBS or CH4D dies you could have got the entire loading kit (press, dies, primer head, shell holder etc) from Lee.
Their 50BMG reloading kit is fine, not match grade, but suitable for your above mentioned requirements.
I’ve been running this set up for years loading 1945 LC brass with pulled 660gn tracers (222gn N170). Excellent out to 2,500yds.
Watch out for primer crimp on milsurp brass. A 1/2” drill bit works fine for that.
If you’re using different brands of brass, weigh them and batch them. Heavier brass means less case capacity which in turn will give you higher chamber pressures.
Finally, crimp on the cannelure, particularly as your rifle is a self loader (something we’re not allowed here in the U.K.).

Good luck, and have fun

Get the lee 50 bmg set up, GIbrass.com for pulldown 50bmg powder, you will need a lot. Projectiles i get off gunbroker. Almost all 50bmg brass have a military crimp, so I would get a rcbs 50bmg crimp remover.

Reactions: thedude824
Couldn’t agree more about the RCBS crimp remover, but bear in mind that a £1 1/2” drill bit will deal with both star crimps and ring crimps with equal aplomb.
we’re not talking match grade reloading here, and judging by your reluctance to invest in a good set of dies for your expensive RCBS press, then I see no point in spending the extra money on a crimp removing tool, when a drill bit will do the job. You’ve only got to do it once, then your tool will become obsolete.

good luck and have fun

Joined a month ago and your first post is about loading AP and API in .50BMG?

So, whose side ARE you on anyway?

Edit: Also, doesn’t even know what scope is on his rifle.
just a cheap sweatshop European scope; how unpatriotic.....
As a European, I’ll generously offer to exchange it for a more suitable Leupold Mk2 1.5-6x42 with API reticle. I’ll even throw in a pack of Tactical cotton wool ear defenders.
My generosity knows no bounds.

Everything about 50 BMG is expensive. I would rather spend the money once (Buy once Cry Once) on reloading equipment and know that I am not leaving anything on the table. The Barrett M-82 is a very capable platform and will appreciate consistent ammunition.

I really wish I would've asked here first. The only person I know personally that reloads stated that the RCBS was the only reliable system.
Joined a month ago and your first post is about loading AP and API in .50BMG?

So, whose side ARE you on anyway?

Edit: Also, doesn’t even know what scope is on his rifle.

Is this referring to me? I've been in Law Enforcement since 2006. SWAT team since 2008. Granted, SWAT isn't what movies make it out to be. To be clear, I am on the side that upholds the Constitution and I always will be. I know exactly what scope is on this rifle and every other piece of equipment I own. I should've been more clear.. the S&B went to the 260 Remington, but I considered replacing the Vortex with the S&B. The Barrett has a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 mounted in Barrett rings. I served in an "anti-sniper" capacity when the President that wont be named visited our city. As many of you know, civilian marksman are many times superior to LE and Military. We don't train past 200 yards.. and even then its only 308. Ive competed in the SWAT roundup 4 times and occassionally do Run and Gun type stuff locally, but no real precision shooting like many of you. Im certainly not as knowledgeable as many of you, but Ive got a solid base.
I really wish I would've asked you all first. The RCBS was the only press my uppity relaoder friends said was acceptable and I normally invest in good equipment. Perhaps I'll buy the Lee setup for the 50 and use the adaptor for the Ammomaster 2 to load other calibers? Given the Lee setup costs as much as the RCBS 50 BMG dies? I'm not trying to cheap out. If you guys think that the Barrett will perform better using high end dies, then I will go that way. I just don't see how a semi auto gun with a recoiling barrel can be all that accurate. If you guys say it can be I will invest in some Amaxs or solids! That would be awesome. I'll happily invest in the RCBS or CH4D dies in that case. Everyone speaks poorly of the M82s accuracy.
I just purchased the crimp removal bit and the primer pocket bit. Thank you.
Ive read that pull-down powder is usually close to its expiration date? I planned on using 24N41, as long as it is temp stable. But I will happily defer to everyone's experience. I greatly appreciate all the responses!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the Lee set up whatsoever. As mentioned before, for what you’re planning on shooting, you wouldn’t notice the difference whether loaded from RCBS kit or Lee.
It’s when you move on to single shot match loads that you may (or may not) notice; such as run out etc.
We don’t get pulled powder here in the UK, but a couple of years ago I bought over 2,000 rounds of 1945 (yes, that old) Lake City link ammo in sealed 260 round tins, in lovely wooden crates. Never had a squib round. In fact, I reckon it was better than any modern milspec ammo, and shot consistently out to 1,000yds through my M99.
If you want to splash out a bit, then invest in a Turban 140 (or 170) Prazipress. Top German quality. Reassuringly expensive, and comes with reducers to allow 1 1/2”, 1 1/4” and 7/8” dies.
Good luck and have fun.

I've been in Law Enforcement since 2006. SWAT team since 2008. Granted, SWAT isn't what movies make it out to be. To be clear, I am on the side that upholds the Constitution and I always will be. I know exactly what scope is on this rifle and every other piece of equipment I own. I should've been more clear.. the S&B went to the 260 Remington, but I considered replacing the Vortex with the S&B. The Barrett has a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 mounted in Barrett rings. I served in an "anti-sniper" capacity when the President that wont be named visited our city. As many of you know, civilian marksman are many times superior to LE and Military. We don't train past 200 yards.. and even then its only 308. Ive competed in the SWAT roundup 4 times and occassionally do Run and Gun type stuff locally, but no real precision shooting like many of you. Im certainly not as knowledgeable as many of you, but Ive got a solid base.

26A31675-3AA2-413E-AC30-457589BE0497.jpeg

I smell bullshit. Maybe you are what you say you are, but I don’t believe you at all.

Once you fireform the cases from the loaded ammo you have you should just be bumping the shoulders back, I am on the third reload on some of my brass that came from a commercial reloader loaded rounds i got with my rifle. Couple cases i had to trim because they didnt want to chamber smooth. Maybe someone will chime in on how many firings before they had to trim cases, I have the 50 bmg specific trimmer from lyman I use but like the primer pockets there might be a way to use common tools. The pulldown powder recommendation was based on weapon platform and reasonably expected accuracy. I have loaded hodgens h50bmg and the pull down powder and shot on the same day, my SDs and accuracy between the two to ME didnt warrant the cost difference. As long as powder is stored in dry places it should be good just like Robinireland's 1945 ammo.

Once you fireform the cases from the loaded ammo you have you should just be bumping the shoulders back, I am on the third reload on some of my brass that came from a commercial reloader loaded rounds i got with my rifle. Couple cases i had to trim because they didnt want to chamber smooth. Maybe someone will chime in on how many firings before they had to trim cases, I have the 50 bmg specific trimmer from lyman I use but like the primer pockets there might be a way to use common tools. The pulldown powder recommendation was based on weapon platform and reasonably expected accuracy. I have loaded hodgens h50bmg and the pull down powder and shot on the same day, my SDs and accuracy between the two to ME didnt warrant the cost difference. As long as powder is stored in dry places it should be good just like Robinireland's 1945 ammo.
That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I will keep an eye out for the pull down powder. What you were saying about powder was exactly why I was originally avoiding better projectiles. The threads I read said that the M82 was still a 2 MOA gun at best even loaded with precision ammo. With Mil-spec Ive seen estimates of 2-5 MOA. Ive read the m99 is a different story though. Thank you for bringing up cases. Ive read a bunch on cases. Im not going to buy expensive Lapua cases, but should I be trying to buy ammo with Lake City cases exclusively? It seems as though people prefer those. Does it make a difference? My PMC ammo cases are marked PKD I believe and one other I believe.
And last thing I cant find info on. As far as rounds chambering and fitting in the chamber correctly, is there something extra I should do other than run them through dies and get the correct total length and ensure tip to shoulder is uniform? Ive read about guys measuring something is the chamber? Hopefully its not necessary on my semi auto. Ive literally shot 15 rounds through this gun so I'm still very inept with its functioning. Well.. I'm inept at reloading entirely. I cant tell you all how much I appreciate the help.
Last question.. Assuming I do my part, at what range would I possibly see the benefit of going to a nice solid versus a pulled and resized AP round?
We literally shoot 1 round in our ARs (some kind of soft point junk) and 1 round in our 308s so Ive never seen what kind of difference a solid match round would make at a given distance.
We don't get to shoot very often and as ridiculous as this sounds I'm far more competent with this stuff than all but two other guys on the team. In fact, I just put together an SBR for one of the guys.. he literally didn't know how to install a drop in trigger or swap out the safety.
I'm hoping to do a course around January or February, but it seems like most precision courses require a gun that is 1/2 MOA. Im not sure my Remington 700 will do that, so I may send it out to be worked over. Long range precision is still very new to me.

I don't know where the threshold for more precise ammo is, most of the time im shooting m33 ball at steel at 300 yards. I have taken my 50 out to 700 but just tree stumps using Amaxs at a standard FPS, I have not worked up a load yet. I tried hitting it will m33 ball and it was tricky, but expectidly the Amaxs increased the amounts of impacts. You say you have 400 loaded rounds already that is the brass id be using. If you want my honest opinion, shoot your 400, hold onto your cases, be patient and look for deals on reloading components. Its hard to beat target sports 3 bucks a round m33 in a ammo can shipped in stock. A little math with a little google foo, $36 a pound for powder, 225ish grains of 24N41 thats about 30 rounds to a pound, $1.20 powder a round. 50 cents a round m33 bullets, 40 cents a round primer. Hornady Amaxs are 2 bucks a bullet. Pull-down helps the numbers.