• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.50 BMG Optics

AK74U

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2021
Atlanta
Looking to purchase a Cadex Tremor .50BMG between Thanksgiving and March of next year. Looking to shoot 2,000 yards and beyond. I was looking at the Trijicon Ten-Mile 5-50x, but figure that around 30-40x it would start getting blurry. Also looking to use with a PVS-27, that will come later. Thanks guru's!!

What’s your budget?
  • March Genesis 6-60 or 4-40
  • March 5-42
  • ZC527
  • Nightforce ATACR 7-35
  • TT525P + Insert-TARAC-Here
The things you should care about are durability, tracking accuracy, glass clarity, and (for the Beyond) achievable elevation adjustment. Due to mirage you’ll rarely see much benefit from zooming too much further than required to identify the target.

Reactions: AK74U
$3,000 should be a good number. March 6-60x is a lot of magnification, can I use that much effectively? Never heard of them either.

What’s your budget?
  • March Genesis 6-60 or 4-40
  • March 5-42
  • ZC527
  • Nightforce ATACR 7-35
  • TT525P + Insert-TARAC-Here
The things you should care about are durability, tracking accuracy, glass clarity, and (for the Beyond) achievable elevation adjustment. Due to mirage you’ll rarely see much benefit from zooming too much further than required to identify the target.

$3,000 should be a good number. March 6-60x is a lot of magnification, can I use that much effectively? Never heard of them either.
March is a very good scope manufacturer that spends $0 on marketing. They started out in the elite benchrest world but have been expanding into other industries. Glass is slightly below TT and ZCO.

It’ll be a rare day that you go too much higher than 20x zoom, but something something have and not need. The main reason for the Genesis scopes is that you’re always in the optical center regardless of dialed elevation, and there is a lot of dialable elevation - best in class by a factor of around 2.

For $3k, I’d look for one of these used: https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforce-ATACR-7-35x56mm-F1-ZeroStop-1mrad-DigIllum-PTL-Mil-XT-C613.aspx

Alternatively, there’s a show demo here but I think you’d prefer the tree reticle and the finer milling scale: https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforce-ATACR-7-35x56-F1-ZS-1mrad-Illum-PTL-Mil-R-C570-Show-Demo.aspx

You think the NX8 4-32 would be me cheating myself? The other $1,000 can go to Hornady A-MAX?

March is a very good scope manufacturer that spends $0 on marketing. They started out in the elite benchrest world but have been expanding into other industries. Glass is slightly below TT and ZCO.

It’ll be a rare day that you go too much higher than 20x zoom, but something something have and not need. The main reason for the Genesis scopes is that you’re always in the optical center regardless of dialed elevation, and there is a lot of dialable elevation - best in class by a factor of around 2.

For $3k, I’d look for one of these used: https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforce-ATACR-7-35x56mm-F1-ZeroStop-1mrad-DigIllum-PTL-Mil-XT-C613.aspx

Alternatively, there’s a show demo here but I think you’d prefer the tree reticle and the finer milling scale: https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforce-ATACR-7-35x56-F1-ZS-1mrad-Illum-PTL-Mil-R-C570-Show-Demo.aspx

You think the NX8 4-32 would be me cheating myself? The other $1,000 can go to Hornady A-MAX?
Personally I’m not an NX8 fan based on my few minutes behind one, though I’m all for spending money on ammo. In particular: eye box and parallax are super finicky above ~25x zoom (which, as noted, isn’t a huge deal), the reticle is not fantastic on the low end, and the elevation adjustment is lower than I’d prefer - you need to have ~22mrad of usable elevation to get to 2000yd with the AMAX.

If I were going $2k or slightly below, I’d probably try this: https://www.gaprecision.net/bushnell-xrs3-6-36x56-g4-reticle.html

I’ve heard many things, all of them good. Elevation is still lower than I’d prefer, and I like illumination, but it seems possible to zero at 100yd and shoot at 2000yd once you account for manufacturing tolerances. I’m sure @Hollywood 6mm could tell you more.

Personally I’m not an NX8 fan based on my few minutes behind one, though I’m all for spending money on ammo. In particular: eye box and parallax are super finicky above ~25x zoom (which, as noted, isn’t a huge deal), the reticle is not fantastic on the low end, and the elevation adjustment is lower than I’d prefer - you need to have ~22mrad of usable elevation to get to 2000yd with the AMAX.

If I were going $2k or slightly below, I’d probably try this: https://www.gaprecision.net/bushnell-xrs3-6-36x56-g4-reticle.html

I’ve heard many things, all of them good. Elevation is still lower than I’d prefer, and I like illumination, but it seems possible to zero at 100yd and shoot at 2000yd once you account for manufacturing tolerances. I’m sure @Hollywood 6mm could tell you more.

Mine as it sits on my 6GT Tempest with a 20MOA rail has 19.5 mil from a 100 yard zero, and 29 mil total adjustment. Running a 30 or 40MOA rail/mount combo with an XRS3 would get you the 22MIL needed, with a little room to spare on the 40 - and that's not counting holdovers. The glass in the XRS3 is a pretty significant upgrade from the XRS2, and I have no doubt it would hold up great on a 50.

Reactions: AK74U and gnochi
Never owned any Bushnell products to be truthful. Nice to know about that scope. I would probably lean towards the NightForce ATACR/BEAST 7-35. Everyone runs the ATACR so I might run the BEAST to stand out. Could never figure out the difference between the two and why they favor one over the other.

What scope are you referring to? Good note on the MOA rail.

Mine as it sits on my 6GT Tempest with a 20MOA rail has 19.5 mil from a 100 yard zero, and 29 mil total adjustment. Running a 30 or 40MOA rail/mount combo with an XRS3 would get you the 22MIL needed, with a little room to spare on the 40 - and that's not counting holdovers. The glass in the XRS3 is a pretty significant upgrade from the XRS2, and I have no doubt it would hold up great on a 50.

Never owned any Bushnell products to be truthful. Nice to know about that scope. I would probably lean towards the NightForce ATACR/BEAST 7-35. Everyone runs the ATACR so I might run the BEAST to stand out. Could never figure out the difference between the two and why they favor one over the other.
The main reason for the ATACR is improved durability at lower cost without losing much of anything - the BEAST tries to do too much, but the comparisons to a pair of binoculars that you keep cased except when using is accurate. The BEAST and the 7-35 are optically similar, while the 5-25 ATACR lags behind a bit.

What do you mean? the BEAST tries to do too much, but the comparisons to a pair of binoculars that you keep cased except when using is accurate.

The main reason for the ATACR is improved durability at lower cost without losing much of anything - the BEAST tries to do too much, but the comparisons to a pair of binoculars that you keep cased except when using is accurate. The BEAST and the 7-35 are optically similar, while the 5-25 ATACR lags behind a bit.

What do you mean? the BEAST tries to do too much, but the comparisons to a pair of binoculars that you keep cased except when using is accurate.
The turrets are mushy and take up too much space, but you can dial in 0.1 and 0.2 MRAD increments.

The glass is super sexy, but the scope isn’t as durable as it should be (no pounding railroad spikes) and weighs a ton.

It loses zero and has a record of tracking relatively poorly. Oh, and it basically isn’t being made anymore.

So, it’s neat and sexy, but the overcomplication just isn’t worth the cost in dollars or usability.

• Haha
10-4. NightForce should give them away free if they're that bad.

The turrets are mushy and take up too much space, but you can dial in 0.1 and 0.2 MRAD increments.

The glass is super sexy, but the scope isn’t as durable as it should be (no pounding railroad spikes) and weighs a ton.

It loses zero and has a record of tracking relatively poorly. Oh, and it basically isn’t being made anymore.

So, it’s neat and sexy, but the overcomplication just isn’t worth the cost in dollars or usability.

Hi,

Curiosity question(s)....

Why get a 50BMG if 2000 yards and beyond is your desires? There are other cartridges that are substantially better at those distances than a 50BMG.

How much shooting experience do you have?

Do you have and/or have access to the support equipment to be successful at 2k+ distances?

Do you have the ammunition loading equipment and processes setup to give yourself the ammunition specifications and quality needed to be successful at 2k+ distances?

Sincerely,
Theis

Ok. About 2 years ago, a guy I met off GB years ago has been my can man and was able to find me 2 .50 cans for a great deal. (AAC Cyclops and AWC Turbodyne) So I always wanted a Barrett M107 and have on one of those on layaway also. Not too long ago this year, my powersports dealer called me to see if I wanted to sell them my ATV since the showroom floor was pretty empty. Long story short my friend wanted to buy it for $7,000, $500 more than what the dealer offered. So I figured, I'd get a bolt gun in .50 BMG to use the AAC Cyclops. I met a vet earlier this year local to me and he reloads .50 BMG. I dont have any experience past 700 yards, but there are 3-4 1,200+ yard ranges around me, 1 range goes out to 2,800 yards, so practice is not an issue. I don't have right now all the gear I need to hit even a mile. But will by the end of this year. I know other shooters who have gear that can get me to 2,000. I have in my stash 300 rounds of .50 BMG 200 FMJ 100 Hornady A-MAX. Thanks for the support.

Hi,

Curiosity question(s)....

Why get a 50BMG if 2000 yards and beyond is your desires? There are other cartridges that are substantially better at those distances than a 50BMG.

How much shooting experience do you have?

Do you have and/or have access to the support equipment to be successful at 2k+ distances?

Do you have the ammunition loading equipment and processes setup to give yourself the ammunition specifications and quality needed to be successful at 2k+ distances?

Sincerely,
Theis

If you want to keep it simple Vortex 4.5x27 h-59 its a tank and will handle the recoil and best of all if it fail they fix or send a new one.

Good luck shooting a 24# 50 BMG with a suppressor. I wouldn’t do it if you paid for the ammo.
I run a SFP ATACR on my DT HTI with 40” Lilja barrel.

• Haha
This summer I shot a friend of mines Armalite AR-50 with AAC Cyclops with no ears, first round of the day. To be truthful, it didn't hurt at all. Recoil was non-existent, due to shooting prone. .50 BMG Desert Tech?

Good luck shooting a 24# 50 BMG with a suppressor. I wouldn’t do it if you paid for the ammo.
I run a SFP ATACR on my DT HTI with 40” Lilja barrel.

the bare bones Armalite AR50 weighs 10# more than that Cadex; My DT HTI weighs 36.5# or so with scope, bipod etc. I would reserve my judgment about shooting 50 BMG with a can until I had shot several strings in the same session or 50 or more rounds. 50 BMG is not the unmanageable beast some have made it out to be, but it is widely recognized that recoil management is essential for comfortable sustained shooting and you do that with a heavy rifle and a good brake; a suppressor does NOT reduce recoil as much as a good brake; Dale at Elite Iron will tell you just that as will anybody with experience shooting suppressed 50s. With the smaller calibers the difference between can and brake is not as noticeable; with the 50 it certainly is. YMMV.

Having said that, if you're shooting a short barrel, the can will add weight and take care of the annoying blast which is closer to you with a shorter barrel. And I admit that out where I am in Utah, one of the biggest hassles of the 50 is all the darned dust it kicks up all over my equipment. Can will all but eliminate that.

Last edited:
the bare bones Armalite AR50 weighs 10# more than that Cadex; My DT HTI weighs 36.5# or so with scope, bipod etc. I would reserve my judgment about shooting 50 BMG with a can until I had shot several strings in the same session or 50 or more rounds. 50 BMG is not the unmanageable beast some have made it out to be, but it is widely recognized that recoil management is essential for comfortable sustained shooting and you do that with a heavy rifle and a good brake; a suppressor does NOT reduce recoil as much as a good brake; Dale at Elite Iron will tell you just that as will anybody with experience shooting suppressed 50s. With the smaller calibers the difference between can and brake is not as noticeable; with the 50 it certainly is. YMMV.

Having said that, if you're shooting a short barrel, the can will mitigate the blast and that is valuable; and if the base rifle kicks like a mule like the factory DT does (weighs about as much as the Cadex and has shit for a brake) then you will not notice the difference as much as you would with a longer, heavier barrel where the blast is out further from you.
+1^^^
My experience lines up with everything he said above.

For what it's worth, I have a Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27X on my 32inch braked Cadex Tremor 50 cal, mainly because:
1) It is one of the heaviest scope around, and helps weigh down the whole system and reduce recoil
2) It is a tough scope with a great warranty, which I expect to utilize since it is going on a 50 BMG

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I don't plan on shooting the gun more than 3 times a year at most. I don't mind recoil at all.

Having said that, if you're shooting a short barrel, the can will add weight and take care of the annoying blast which is closer to you with a shorter barrel. And I admit that out where I am in Utah, one of the biggest hassles of the 50 is all the darned dust it kicks up all over my equipment. Can will all but eliminate that.

How far have you shot your Tremor? How's the Razor? Accuracy?

+1^^^
My experience lines up with everything he said above.

For what it's worth, I have a Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27X on my 32inch braked Cadex Tremor 50 cal, mainly because:
1) It is one of the heaviest scope around, and helps weigh down the whole system and reduce recoil
2) It is a tough scope with a great warranty, which I expect to utilize since it is going on a 50 BMG

How far have you shot your Tremor? How's the Razor? Accuracy?
With the factory Hornady 750gr A-Max, I have taken it out to 800+ yds thus far with very consistent accuracy - definitely sub MOA if I do my job. Managing recoil "consistently" in a 50 bmg is not as easy as most make it out to be. Will take it out further when I get the chance. A lot of ranges and other fellow shooters are not too 50 BMG friendly, so that's something to be cognizant of. Hard to find the time and place to shoot it, unless you are out west in the desert...

The Razor has been working flawlessly thus far, no complains. BUT, I have it mounted on a MPA 1 piece mount, and had the rings torqued down to MPA recommended specs(I double checked). After 30 rounds, the scope shifted ever so slightly in the rings which caused the zero to shift vertically at range. I re-torqued everything and it shifted again after 20 rounds. This time, I over-torqued the rings by about 15% over specs, and it has been holding since - over 60 rounds with no shift.

• Sad
the OP is more of a man than I am regarding recoil LOL

And to clarify my reason for NF ATACR SFP - I find the eyebox more forgiving, the scope is mechanically simpler and theoretically less prone to breakage under severe recoil, and first and foremost, you don't need rapid mag changes and reticle ranging shooting a 50 BMG so I think FFP is superfluous for this application

• Haha
Reactions: AK74U and KZP
Sub-MOA is what I've been hearing about the Tremor. Not too many reviews or videos online about them. I bet with the Cyclops attached would calm the other shooters nerves about it being loud and obnoxious. Isnt the thread pitch 1/14?

With the factory Hornady 750gr A-Max, I have taken it out to 800+ yds thus far with very consistent accuracy - definitely sub MOA if I do my job. Managing recoil "consistently" in a 50 bmg is not as easy as most make it out to be. Will take it out further when I get the chance. A lot of ranges and other fellow shooters are not too 50 BMG friendly, so that's something to be cognizant of. Hard to find the time and place to shoot it, unless you are out west in the desert...

The Razor has been working flawlessly thus far, no complains. BUT, I have it mounted on a MPA 1 piece mount, and had the rings torqued down to MPA recommended specs(I double checked). After 30 rounds, the scope shifted ever so slightly in the rings which caused the zero to shift vertically at range. I re-torqued everything and it shifted again after 20 rounds. This time, I over-torqued the rings by about 15% over specs, and it has been holding since - over 60 rounds with no shift.

Im a hefty guy, I own a Desert Eagle .50AE and 8 3/8 S&W 500 so I shouldnt be scared of some recoil.

And to clarify my reason for NF ATACR SFP - I find the eyebox more forgiving, the scope is mechanically simpler and theoretically less prone to breakage under severe recoil, and first and foremost, you don't need rapid mag changes and reticle ranging shooting a 50 BMG so I think FFP is superfluous for this application

I've got a 5-25 ATACR F1 on a Tremor and it works well. I shoot out to 1k, usually keep it at 12-17 power depending on mirage.

You will have to do a follow up post on how you like the recoil with a suppressor. Mine with a muzzle brake was bruising my shoulder after 10 rounds, turning the shoulder pocket area yellow on my skin. This made long sessions not fun. I added 8lbs of weight and now I can shoot 50 rounds in a session without regret.

I can get 1 moa with hand loads using Cutting edge 720 tac solids, H50 bmg powder. M33 ball is pretty meh. Shot about 20 this afternoon and got an SD of 90, ES of 180. Sometimes you get lucky and a specific batch from the lot will group awesome, then it goes to trash. Haven't tried any true factory match ammo like the AMAX, but I did reload a few AMAX bullets. They didn't group as well, came out closer to 2 moa. I need to try them again and see if I can get it tighter. The cutting edge 660's tacs are decent too. Didn't like the Lehigh 650's, couldn't get better than 3 moa.

Getting the correct shoulder pocket and bipod height is important. I noticed if I don't have it just right, vertical MOA will be 4+, but they will all be lined up within sub moa horizontally. Recoil management with the Tremor in my experience requires more attention than say a 308.

Last edited:
Been shooting a 50 for 15 years now. Started with a 5.5-22x56 nxs. (Still have it, still run it on my 50 bench gun) run atacr’s on my 50 hunter gun and the other 416. No issues with them, they work and work well. My armalite pushes an 890gr solid at 2900fps, there’s a bit of recoil but not wild. You want the eye relief a nf provides. My light bench gun with 808’s is a much more potent recoil than the armalite. The 5.5-22 does well on there. All good. Buy what works and holds up to the recoil. Don’t rely on a warranty during a match.

I received my tripod Sunday, 2 Vets 40 Mike Mike with 55mm ball head. I will shoot off that to see how it feels. Will probably get an Accu-Tac bipod for bench and prone shooting. I got the FMJ for about $3.40 a round so its ok to have some plinking ammo on hand. Why not the 7-35?

I've got a 5-25 ATACR F1 on a Tremor and it works well. I shoot out to 1k, usually keep it at 12-17 power depending on mirage.

You will have to do a follow up post on how you like the recoil with a suppressor. Mine with a muzzle brake was bruising my shoulder after 10 rounds, turning the shoulder pocket area yellow on my skin. This made long sessions not fun. I added 8lbs of weight and now I can shoot 50 rounds in a session without regret.

I can get 1 moa with hand loads using Cutting edge 720 tac solids, H50 bmg powder. M33 ball is pretty meh. Shot about 20 this afternoon and got an SD of 90, ES of 180. Sometimes you get lucky and a specific batch from the lot will group awesome, then it goes to trash. Haven't tried any true factory match ammo like the AMAX, but I did reload a few AMAX bullets. They didn't group as well, came out closer to 2 moa. I need to try them again and see if I can get it tighter. The cutting edge 660's tacs are decent too. Didn't like the Lehigh 650's, couldn't get better than 3 moa.

Getting the correct shoulder pocket and bipod height is important. I noticed if I don't have it just right, vertical MOA will be 4+, but they will all be lined up within sub moa horizontally. Recoil management with the Tremor in my experience requires more attention than say a 308.

I was going to buy this McMillan TAC-50 that had a NXS 5.5-22 on top. Could get the lady to tell me what kind of reticle was in the scope. But wanting to drop a PVS-27 and cant get a hold of a NV rail for it ruined it for me. Also it didnt have the cheek piece on it either.

Been shooting a 50 for 15 years now. Started with a 5.5-22x56 nxs. (Still have it, still run it on my 50 bench gun) run atacr’s on my 50 hunter gun and the other 416. No issues with them, they work and work well. My armalite pushes an 890gr solid at 2900fps, there’s a bit of recoil but not wild. You want the eye relief a nf provides. My light bench gun with 808’s is a much more potent recoil than the armalite. The 5.5-22 does well on there. All good. Buy what works and holds up to the recoil. Don’t rely on a warranty during a match.

I received my tripod Sunday, 2 Vets 40 Mike Mike with 55mm ball head. I will shoot off that to see how it feels. Will probably get an Accu-Tac bipod for bench and prone shooting. I got the FMJ for about $3.40 a round so its ok to have some plinking ammo on hand. Why not the 7-35?

Tripod might help dampen it enough, so that's a good start. I'm using the ATLAS Super CAL and it works fairly well. I had to swap the plastic bushing for a brass one because the plastic one kept smashing itself out of shape due to the weight of the rifle.

You should order a second picatinny lower rail for the tremor. It only comes with one. Then you don't have to move it for use with tripod or bipod. It's a special type that only works on the Tremor chassis on the underside. The side picatinny rails are different mounting types and don't have the durability.

That's a reasonable price for M33. Some places you can get it sub $3. I picked up a bunch of PMC for about $2.50 a round. M33 is reasonable out to 700 yards on a full size IPSC plate. I'd say I get a 50% hit rate.

If you are plinking close range, just remember the mil M33 cores are mild steel and won't as easily disintegrate on impact like lead core. More chance of ricochet off dirt and objects, more penetrating power through whatever backstop you use. At 1k yards its still got 3,700 ft lb of energy, 500 yards is 6,500 ft lb, 100 yards 9,800 ft lb! It's not uncommon for me to knock down the local range steel targets. Thankfully the owner is all on board with people shooting 50's out there.

I've tried the 7-35 shooting another range members rifle. Unless you are shooting a low recoil caliber, it didn't seem helpful to go 35x. I almost never go 25x with my tremor because spotting hits becomes more difficult.

I think Cadex sells an arca rail for the rifle. I'm definently grabbing one of those. Heard many good things on the Atlas CAL. What's the price? I figure more magnification is never bad, rather have and not need, than to need and not have.

Tripod might help dampen it enough, so that's a good start. I'm using the ATLAS Super CAL and it works fairly well. I had to swap the plastic bushing for a brass one because the plastic one kept smashing itself out of shape due to the weight of the rifle.

You should order a second picatinny lower rail for the tremor. It only comes with one. Then you don't have to move it for use with tripod or bipod. It's a special type that only works on the Tremor chassis on the underside. The side picatinny rails are different mounting types and don't have the durability.

That's a reasonable price for M33. Some places you can get it sub $3. I picked up a bunch of PMC for about $2.50 a round. M33 is reasonable out to 700 yards on a full size IPSC plate. I'd say I get a 50% hit rate.

If you are plinking close range, just remember the mil M33 cores are mild steel and won't as easily disintegrate on impact like lead core. More chance of ricochet off dirt and objects, more penetrating power through whatever backstop you use. At 1k yards its still got 3,700 ft lb of energy, 500 yards is 6,500 ft lb, 100 yards 9,800 ft lb! It's not uncommon for me to knock down the local range steel targets. Thankfully the owner is all on board with people shooting 50's out there.

I've tried the 7-35 shooting another range members rifle. Unless you are shooting a low recoil caliber, it didn't seem helpful to go 35x. I almost never go 25x with my tremor because spotting hits becomes more difficult.

I think Cadex sells an arca rail for the rifle. I'm definently grabbing one of those. Heard many good things on the Atlas CAL. What's the price? I figure more magnification is never bad, rather have and not need, than to need and not have.

Make sure you get the correct model # ARCA rail. They have a few different ones depending on Cadex chassis type.

Super CAL price varies depending on the attachment bundle you buy. Runs 340-400

Same basic rational for my choice of the SFP ATACR. Went with the MORT reticle which works well for ELR on my 50BMG. For civilian use, its mainly fixed position shooting anyway. Scope cost is less as well.

Cant recall the MORT reticle. I'll look into this. Thanks.

Same basic rational for my choice of the SFP ATACR. Went with the MORT reticle which works well for ELR on my 50BMG. For civilian use, its mainly fixed position shooting anyway. Scope cost is less as well.

March looked like a nice scope at shot show but only three shooters used them at king this year. Not sure if it is the price or just being new to the market.

-Alex

Reactions: gnochi and AK74U
ATACR is a great scope for the money!
It is nice, isn't it?

7-35x would be ideal IMO. Have a USO 5-25x on an HTI with an Elite Iron suppressor and an Elite brake.

The M2HB is more fun with a 6x ACOG but BMG is just expensive, period.

Much better long range options that will cost less in the long run and see more use.