• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 50 Bmg project. . .

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Our first boomers here. Barreled action went together really well. The muzzle brakes were a little goofy. Quite a bit of runout on the bore. Was able to tune it up though.

I worked all weekend on my bullet trap. 16"x48" long piece of well casing stitched to a 2x4 frame and filled with sand about 2/3rds the way. We've shot a 300WM into it and lived to tell about it, so I think it'll be ok. Gonna move it outside today and try the 50 on it.

Woo Hoo!

Here's the first one. Just a barreled action. The other is a full build. Both using McMillan single shot actions, Brux barrels.

I don't have my press yet. Ordered on Saturday. I don't have bullets either so I turned some out of annealed naval brass. Took a picture of the Hornady Amax and imported it. Converted to geometry, generated code, and tried one out. I was -.0012" in diameter and -13 grains from the targeted 750 weight. I think when I buzz another one with a +.0012" offset it'll be much closer to making weight. We'll see. . .

Anyways, here' the bugger being fitted up. Took lots of one off tooling to make this work in our lathe the same we do everything else. Seemed to go well though. Takes about an hour to chamber one up.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

Re: 50 Bmg project. . .

We shoot our AP rounds into 55 gallon plastic drums filled with sand and topped with sandbags to keep the sand from flying out. We have to put another drum behind the target drum because a projectile will penetrate the first one every now and then. All this to help maintain the integrity of our main burm. A lot of energy there...

Here's my trap: Heavy biche!

Soon as I have some time I'll run it over to the powdercoater guys to give it a makeover.

I love my new TIG welder! Made pretty quick work of all this. Not as quick as a wire feed would have though!
    smile.gif

DSC_0052.jpg

LOL, the bolt handle looks out of proportion to the rest of that thing. Like an arm that never fully developed.

Post a pic of that dry erase board in the background. Itching to see if my name is on it with a rifle status next to it.

It's far enough down so that it doesn't blow back much. We also soaked it in water/antifreeze to keep it sticky. Really helps with reducing the dust mess.

That and we just have been keeping the muzzle outside the hole.

Well its about time you built that damn thing! Looks great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">doubles as a cock pump!</div></div>

Not for cinch it doesn't......

Way to big....

1st coat of paint.

This is going to be an alpine color scheme. Artic White, Timber green, some gray, and who knows what else. We've got a long leash on this one so were making it up as we go.

So far so good. We'll let this cook for a couple hours till the next color.

Enjoy and thanks.

C.

Primer/Sealer:

DSC_0037.jpg

1st coat with texture:

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg