• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 bmg reloading?

bigdog2084

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2009
blue bell, pa
I am just getting started on reloading 50 bmg rounds. I order the lee press kit from midwayusa. What else I'm i going to need to get started reloading? I know i need a scale and powder measure, but what other special 50 bmg tools will be needed? thanks for the info. also is loading 50 bmg rounds any different from loading other rifle calibers?

Re: 50 bmg reloading?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdog2084</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just getting started on reloading 50 bmg rounds. I order the lee press kit from midwayusa. What else I'm i going to need to get started reloading? I know i need a scale and powder measure, but what other special 50 bmg tools will be needed? thanks for the info. also is loading 50 bmg rounds any different from loading other rifle calibers? </div></div>

You are kidding me of course right? No disrespect intended. But have you had any reloading experience before?

You need lots of powder for sure. A pound of powder just doesnt go far with the 50 BMG. You need a special case trimmer also.

7000 grains in a pound. Figure one pound per 30 or so rounds.

If you get military brass, you will need to uniform the primer poackets to get rid of the crimp. Best way to do it is with a primer pocket swager. Some people uses a pocket uniformer (for the 50) to cut the crimp out.

You will need a way to trim your brass, to uniform the primer pockets and to check OAL. There are tools for all of these.

I do have experience reloading just not 50 bmg. I just wanted to know if there were any special 50 bmg tools that you need to reload them?

I'm in the same boat as you with just starting to load for the 50bmg.

I modified my RCBS trimmer to trim 50 brass and it works fine.

You will need a larger deburring tool for the case mouth.

The first batch all fired.
smile.gif

The CCI primers don't go in very smooth. They leave a bur if you don't bevel the edge of the pocket enough

I would use a "Military Crimp Remover" (RCBS). It removes the crimp and also puts a little bevel on the pocket at the same time.
myerfire

Reactions: Osceola Outback

The brass I used already had the crimp removed but it didn't bevel the edge.

From what I can tell loading the 50 is no different than any other. It is just bigger. UPS is delivering my stuff today. I got a set of equip that guy guy had set up with a rifle. It is RCBS and CH4D. I do need to get a larger scale because my RCBS beam scale will not weigh 750gr bullets. like they said bevel the edges of the primer pocket and inspect everything carefully. Also double measure the powder. If shooting pulled pullets make sure you re size them before loading.

Another good thing is a standard punch. The kind about 6 inches long with a straight head about the size of a thicker pencil lead. I drop the punch into the round until it drops into the primer flash hole. You can feel it. Then put the round in the shell holder on the top of the press and whack it hard once with a good hammer and give 2 or 3 taps to drop the primer out. I cut a platic bottle and wedge it between the three legs on my RCBS press to catch the used primers.