• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.50 BMG Scope Bite AND Shot w/o Ear Pro!

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Mark me stupid, certainly deserve an idiot award for that. I did it. So I'm tired, it's near the end of a long day, and we finally get around to firing the DTA HTI. It has a USO 5-25x on it, so it doesn't get harder or tougher. Recoil is intense, so the first time I fired it I forgot my ear pro and I literally screamed like a girl! DAMN, that was LOUD! Made me see lights! Probably the number one or number two loudest noise I've ever heard. Wow. Got ear pro, next shot I didn't have the butt seated tight enough and besides getting a shoulder jarring kick, I also got a .50 BMG recoiling a ~35lb. system right into the forehead, almost right between the eyes but a bit to the right on the brow. It's gonna make a nice bruise, it's already swollen. Funniest thing? My buddy did the same damn thing AFTER I warned him, and he got a matching one! I'm gonna look into moving it up one or two slots.

That DTA HTI is one brutal rifle, certainly not something you wanna fire all the time. The M2HB, now that's a different story. Giggled like kids all over again hitting that switch and watching red colored gallon water jugs explode. Chink. BOOM! Had to put the chrono on the ground, first time I ever tried that, and I got amazing results, that POS chrony worked like a champ. Got plenty of good data for loading belts now, next time will be FUN. Maybe a night fire. We used the irons under the KAC tri-rail but I'd like to see a Trijicon MRDS w/magnifier on it, or even a .50 BMG ACOG, whatever I can find for the best deal down the road I guess.
    Went looking for a clearcut and an area I found on google maps, but got out there and some guy said it was Indian land (maybe I had to pass through it but the NF isn't). Anyway, we got off on another road I hadn't been on in years and it had two shitty ranges, the first had a two fat know it alls and four Mexican gang bangers (they were going at it, we left) the second had a couple guys shooting who were leaving soon. We couldn't find anything else so we went back. It ranged to be 100m EXACTLY. Fuck. But at least I could use .50 and it still cost less than signing up for a different range. I got the data I needed. But to zero, I'll need to find a much longer, much better place. Would like to find one this side of the Cascades without having to go to Yakima.

So here are some pictures of my outing. I don't get to get out often and today was the first time we ever fired either of the .50's so I was pretty excited actually. Everything I took functioned flawlessly, not one hiccup from the M4 to the M2HB. The Ma Deuce was by far the most fun of them all. CWA (Central Wisconsin Armory) built this one, I sorta screwed up not dropping the extra $600 at the time and getting it Cerakoted. Oh well. They built it brand new, no used parts. So it was tight at first but broke in quick and easy. They make a fine M2 and they make an M3HB for less using USGI parts. They also make new M2's as well as the Dragon for the military, a super high speed, high rate of fire upgraded Ma Deuce. The Mk93 soft mount and the Mk123 tripod with the new style T&E is really solid but very lightweight. For an M2HB. Anyway, here's the junk spread out:

IMG_0888.JPG

Between belts. Only had five belts of four, along with one magazine of five for the HTI. Chrono'd 647gr. ball in LC brass on US 869, 240-260gr. in five grain increments. Velocities ranged from ~2800-~3200fps., best was a 4fps deviation! This thing is accurate and very powerful. Be nice to get a reflex sight one day.
    IMG_0891.JPG

All my shit laid out, but we didn't use all of it and didn't fire the SR-25 at all but did heat up that 11.5" 5.56. Note the chrono laying flat on the ground! Worked even if the barrel was tilted and off center! The tarp was to cover the gun in the truck, but also laid out here to stop dust from kicking up and giving false readings on the chrono, which has historically been very picky and a pain in the ass to get to work. Here lately it's actually been working for some reason. Go figure.
    IMG_0894.JPG

100m, that's it.
    IMG_0887.JPG

At least we had good scenery though, this creek was right next to us.
    IMG_0893.JPG

And this mountain was right behind the creek. We were surrounded by many peaks like this and all sorts of beautiful WA scenery. At least we were alone and had a good time.
    IMG_0896.JPG

I feel ya, dawg. About 10 years back I took my M 82-1 out to shoot with some friends. In the business of setting up, first shot I forgot the hearing protection. Ive had this high pitched ringing in my ears ever since. Fuck that was loud. The recoils is rough, not something you'd want to shoot all day (I put about 60 rounds through one day at the NRA Whittington Center and that was plenty) but doable.

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Strykervet
    Stryker, nice setup you've got there. All you need now is a post mount on the back of that truck and you'll have a "Technical" (that's the term, right?) HA.

I couldn't imagine shooting my 50 bmg without hearing protection. I run ear buds AND ear muffs. It's a brutal sound to be sure. The recoil is about like a 12 ga shotgun, but the blast is massive. Hopefully, you recover from your outing.

Just remember a bad day with the 50 bmg is better than a good day at work......

Glad to see you're getting back to what's important in life, Stryker =)

I can imagine a .50BMG without earpro is pretty fucking unpleasant. I know when I shoot my .460SW without anything on, it hurts pretty badly. Really makes you do your best to ensure 1st round success.

First, the double ear pro mentioned above is 100% the ONLY way to shoot a braked .50 cal.

I'm definitely not a fan of the DT HTI. Shooting a Barrett 82/95/99 is a joy, the HTI is punishment in comparison. You definitely have to have your body set up right for it. And it's 19.9 lbs slick, so definitely not a 35 lbs system as you have it decked out, instead it's a lightweight, heavy recoiling bitch with a way too small brake for what it spits out.

As for the ear pro, that's a self correcting problem in my experience. I once shot the M82 indoors in a MOUT town with a blank and no ear pro, I never made that mistake again and I wholly expected pus to be seeping from my ear immediately after I did it. I'm amazed I can still pass a hearing test with only mild loss in the left ear after all the shit I've been through.

Stryker, nice setup you've got there. All you need now is a post mount on the back of that truck and you'll have a "Technical" (that's the term, right?) HA.

Yep, I considered it but it's not 4x4 and so it'd be a pain to get it to some places. One day I'd like to get an LMTV on auction, they usually sell for pretty cheap. I saw one chopped up into a "war pig" and figured it'd be the perfect mobile firing range. Or if one of you guys actually does score that helicopter, stop on by and we can have some real fun!

The Mk93 soft mount was really awesome. Didn't have those in the army, they mostly went on the RWS anyway, but we did have a tripod and pintle on hand, and you needed the sandbags, it'd make the steel tripods jump. Really didn't need the sandbags even with the aluminum tripod!

Hi,

O man....looks like he has posted his HTI for sale/trade lolol.
    1 outing with 2 different scope bites will definitely make you rethink some things.

Now, firing the 50 from prone with no hearing protection...that is a big ouch.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Trade only, not sale! I doubt anything will come of it anyway, mostly because of the can and ATF transfers. I like the DTA, but yeah, I would prefer a more traditional setup. I'm not fooling myself into thinking the recoil will be anything better, I expected the recoil to be what it is --on par with a 12ga. (3" mags though!). I wasn't expecting the scope bite, but I should have been more wary of it. I guess that's the lesson in complacency! Haven't had that happen since I was ten or twelve! And NEVER that hard. It was just insult to injury to make that dumb mistake after the no ear pro. My buddy did the SAME damn thing and he got a warning!

Glad to see you're getting back to what's important in life, Stryker =)

I can imagine a .50BMG without earpro is pretty fucking unpleasant. I know when I shoot my .460SW without anything on, it hurts pretty badly. Really makes you do your best to ensure 1st round success.

Thanks! It was the first time out with those and second time shooting since the divorce; figured I'd take all my coolest shit at once and do it up right, only wish we could have went to the spot I had picked. Nobody nagging to leave really made it all magical. Wish I could just live out there. The whole trip there and back I was thinking about when I have to leave this place, that I'd like to find something that abuts to the NF. But preferably near a better area to shoot. I wouldn't mind a clear cut in the back yard (which should make property cost less I'd imagine). I don't need much, a nice shop with a studio apt. in the corner would actually be the ideal.

You guys with the land or the back yard access to it really don't know how lucky you are to have it until you have to go without it.

First, the double ear pro mentioned above is 100% the ONLY way to shoot a braked .50 cal.

I'm definitely not a fan of the DT HTI. Shooting a Barrett 82/95/99 is a joy, the HTI is punishment in comparison. You definitely have to have your body set up right for it. And it's 19.9 lbs slick, so definitely not a 35 lbs system as you have it decked out, instead it's a lightweight, heavy recoiling bitch with a way too small brake for what it spits out.

As for the ear pro, that's a self correcting problem in my experience. I once shot the M82 indoors in a MOUT town with a blank and no ear pro, I never made that mistake again and I wholly expected pus to be seeping from my ear immediately after I did it. I'm amazed I can still pass a hearing test with only mild loss in the left ear after all the shit I've been through.

Yeah, 35lb. was off the top of my head. Don't know what it actually weighs in total, but it's not a whole lot. The can and scope do add some weight. The recoil is actually a bit less with the can than the brake I think, but it kind of makes sense (though I've also heard it can go the other way with the .50 somehow). No way I'd shoot that bastard indoors if I didn't HAVE to.

I half expected the hearing to be worse, I got off lucky or else the damage is already done. I pass the hearing tests too, but I also have chronic tinnitus. Used to drive me batshit. I got that the day I blew a bunch of daisy chained claymores from only 20' away. Wasn't all THAT loud, but apparently it's the blast wave that destroys the "hairs" in your ear and they don't grow back.

Yep, I considered it but it's not 4x4 and so it'd be a pain to get it to some places. One day I'd like to get an LMTV on auction, they usually sell for pretty cheap. I saw one chopped up into a "war pig" and figured it'd be the perfect mobile firing range. Or if one of you guys actually does score that helicopter, stop on by and we can have some real fun!

The Mk93 soft mount was really awesome. Didn't have those in the army, they mostly went on the RWS anyway, but we did have a tripod and pintle on hand, and you needed the sandbags, it'd make the steel tripods jump. Really didn't need the sandbags even with the aluminum tripod!

Trade only, not sale! I doubt anything will come of it anyway, mostly because of the can and ATF transfers. I like the DTA, but yeah, I would prefer a more traditional setup. I'm not fooling myself into thinking the recoil will be anything better, I expected the recoil to be what it is --on par with a 12ga. (3" mags though!). I wasn't expecting the scope bite, but I should have been more wary of it. I guess that's the lesson in complacency! Haven't had that happen since I was ten or twelve! And NEVER that hard. It was just insult to injury to make that dumb mistake after the no ear pro. My buddy did the SAME damn thing and he got a warning!

Thanks! It was the first time out with those and second time shooting since the divorce; figured I'd take all my coolest shit at once and do it up right, only wish we could have went to the spot I had picked. Nobody nagging to leave really made it all magical. Wish I could just live out there. The whole trip there and back I was thinking about when I have to leave this place, that I'd like to find something that abuts to the NF. But preferably near a better area to shoot. I wouldn't mind a clear cut in the back yard (which should make property cost less I'd imagine). I don't need much, a nice shop with a studio apt. in the corner would actually be the ideal.

You guys with the land or the back yard access to it really don't know how lucky you are to have it until you have to go without it.

Yeah, 35lb. was off the top of my head. Don't know what it actually weighs in total, but it's not a whole lot. The can and scope do add some weight. The recoil is actually a bit less with the can than the brake I think, but it kind of makes sense (though I've also heard it can go the other way with the .50 somehow). No way I'd shoot that bastard indoors if I didn't HAVE to.

I half expected the hearing to be worse, I got off lucky or else the damage is already done. I pass the hearing tests too, but I also have chronic tinnitus. Used to drive me batshit. I got that the day I blew a bunch of daisy chained claymores from only 20' away. Wasn't all THAT loud, but apparently it's the blast wave that destroys the "hairs" in your ear and they don't grow back.

-That thing mounted on a Helo would be good for hunting feral hogs. Use APIT's and you'd cook and butcher it all in one shot.

-What happens is the little 'hairs in your ear get permanently bent so they are always firing. It sucks and there is no fix.

I did pretty good at ITS and was chosen to shoot one of the two Dragon Anti Tank missiles we were alotted to fire at the end of our 0351 training. Its a $5-6K missile at the time.

960513-M-3983O-004.jpg

Stock photo - not me....

Nervous as fuck, never having fired anything that big I forgot to put in ear pro. The only thing louder at the time in the man packed infantry arsenal was the SMAW.

I hit the tracker lever on that thing than pressed the fire button and that all I remember as hell was unleashed beside my head.

The missile has to travel so many feet before it arms and I think I made it a centimeter beyond that distance before it dove into the dirt and exploded.

I think I probably blacked out from the over stimulation of the noise that close to my head.

I didn't pass out or anything but after the violence beside my head next I remember is two or three training NCOs speaking at me with no words coming out of their mouths asking what happened and I was like "Huh?"

Only when I walked back to the reviewing stand and sat there with ears banging did I realize I had forgot my earplugs.

Just one of those life moments that when we look back on them we wish we had a do over.

Last edited:
    That's funny, first time I saw an AT4 fire I figured it'd go "WHOOOSH" but it went "BANG" and took off. I've had my bell rung more than a few times but some were more memorable than others.

-That thing mounted on a Helo would be good for hunting feral hogs. Use APIT's and you'd cook and butcher it all in one shot.

-What happens is the little 'hairs in your ear get permanently bent so they are always firing. It sucks and there is no fix.

I saw something about that in a documentary, cilia, that's what they're called. Yeah, they're ALWAYS firing, it's always "tea o'clock" in my head! Sucks and never goes away but you get used to it. Gone is total silence though, being in a completely silent room is now torture.

Got plenty of API/T to load up! It would be fun to mount in a helo… Who was it that was wanting one a while back? Was it you? I'm game for it anyway, just need a to get a brass catcher, a Hughes Aircraft feed chute and a swinging pintle mount and we're golden.

Reactions: Maggot