• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 BMG subsonic rounds

Re: 50 BMG subsonic rounds

Be careful if you are working one up. If you stick one of those big suckers in the barrel from too low a pressure, you'll need a huge hammer, a long rod, and lots of short words to get it out. What distance and useage for that round do you plan?

LOL! That's why I'm asking, so I don't have to go down that road! I have looked up a few loads, but like to see what others have tried that worked with different bullets in 660, 661, 690, and/or 750 grains.

Just poor some butter down the barrel, that'll assure no stuck rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just poor some butter down the barrel, that'll assure no stuck rounds. </div></div>
In Fabio voice- I can't believe it's not butta.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just poor some butter down the barrel, that'll assure no stuck rounds. </div></div>

That's a good one.

Sure would hate to have one of those big ass bullets stuck in the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It can be dangerous as detonation can result. I have seen them for sale a couple places.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=220096
I can only assume they use a filler to keep powder at primer.
also they will not stabilize well in normal barrels. </div></div>

Hey, they're on clearance! Only 108 bucks for 15 rounds! What a deal.
CW

Ok. Let's pretend I have a bolt action 50 BMG rifle, and I want to shoot a subsonic round. What bullet are you using and what is your SS load? Does this help!

I feel like Arnold Swartzenager in Kindergarten Cop when he asks, "who's your daddy and what does he do!" It's not a tumar!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzukGfdgPCM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzukGfdgPCM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

The force is strong with Chad. I have taught him well.

Have you considered the 416 Barrett?

laugh.gif

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
750 AMAX
32 to 34.0 gr RE7
mean vel: 1057
from quickload.
with a buffer puff
<span style="font-style: italic">[/i]may cause tumors.</span>

Shouldn't hurt to go over. Just the chance that you will go supersonic. You could use RE10 it is a little slower so you will need a little more but stand more chance of muzzle noise. RE7 should have a near pressure dump by the end of the barrel. This load was taken from a hunting website about a year ago and I have not tested the load or personally know anyone that has. It is supposed to have a very low impulse and sound like an anvil dropped from a building when it hits anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have any good subsonic loads for the 50 BMG? I've found a few, but was curious on some with other bullets. Thanks!

Chad </div></div>

Chad, I made several .50 Subsonic rounds a few years ago. I bought some atomized aluminum epoxy. Comes in a dual tube thingy. I placed a spent primer in backwards then filled the case up to the neck with the epoxy. then tapped the case to release bubbles. Let sit for 1-2 days, be careful the case will be hot from the epoxy curing. I used a 1/2 in drill bit to drill out the epoxy.(using a lathe) I swaged my own .50 cal. bullets at the time so I made a few 800gr. projos. and I had a suppressor on my .50 I used about 85gr. of 5010 surplus powder. the first rd. I got in my car and used a string to pull the trigger. All I heard was the bullet strike the dirt bank. the cases last about 6-7 loadings. If you have a neck sizer I am sure they will last longer. be careful not to drill too deep I dont know if a drill press could be used ??? I did the same thing with .308 cases .300 mag cases and .223. I may have a few cases left if you want them. Everyone Be careful if you decide to do this. Not responsibel for any stuck bullets or ?? R/ Mike