• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 BMG

s4b1106

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2009
Idaho
So, it looks like I am going to start reloading for 50 BMG soon. Loads will be for a bolt rifle (EDM Windrunner). I don't have an established load yet. Will likely be using Hornady bullets, at least to start. I have only seen CCI arsenal primers. Does any other commercial primer manufacturer make primers for it? By the way, I am a fairly experienced reloader, having reloaded for rifle, pistol, and shotgun for many years. Any of you who reload 50 have any advice before I start screwing up expensive components?

Re: 50 BMG

I have an EDM Windrunner as well. I use cbc brass neck turned with cci primers and 225gr H50BMG powder with Amax Bullets seated .070 off the lands.

I have heard the new Reloader 50 powder is pretty good from the 50bmg benchrest guys. I will try that stuff when I do my next powder order.

I just put an order in from TENX bullets and got my hands on some RWS brass and primers.

Tula now makes .50 cal primers, I hope they are as good the large rifle primers! Really good prices too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like using Lehigh bullets.

http://www.lehighbullets.com/

I haven't tried RWS (the best) or Tula primers yet. </div></div>

What exactly is your favorite load for the Lehigh bullets?

Bullet?
Brass?
Powder?
Primer?

Rifle and accuracy achieved?

Not sure I have a favorite yet, but this was how I scored at the Williamsport, PA match in June. I have an LAR Grizzly. My load was 228gr of H50BMG. COAL was 6.100. I'm using the 510-170 match bullets. LC brass, and CCI primers. I'm going back next week with a load of 229gr.

Light gun
Score Group
41 21
40 22.75
45 11 7/16 (1x)
41 19 7/8
43 15 1/8 (1x)
39 28 3/8

Hunter

40 9 7/8
41 11 9/16
47 17.25 (1x)
37 32
49 10 13/16 (2x) (new best on one target)
41 19 7/8

Thanks for the info, everyone. On a side note, to those of you with Windrunners, what is the trigger weight on your rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s4b1106</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info, everyone. On a side note, to those of you with Windrunners, what is the trigger weight on your rifles? </div></div>
Not sure on mine as I have the Kepplinger trigger on mine. It is somewhere between light on regular to "did I even touch the trigger?" on "set" position. Actually think I am going to increase it a little.