• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing .50 cal Hunting

beretta_man11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
MS
How bad of an idea would it be to shoot something with my BMG? I am really tempted. Most of the time if you hit the shoulders of a deer or something like that with 30-06, they are ruined. How much worse will a BMG be? Obviously it will have more damage but will the entire animal be worthless? Tons of antelope out here just begging to be shot at 600yards with a 50 cal. Just sayin...

Re: .50 cal Hunting

Much of the ruined meat from a rifle shot at close range is the velocity involved. I've seen a 223 at 15yd with 45gr JHP's do a lot more damage than a 180gr Swift A-frame from a 30-06 do to a deer at 50yd.

The 50 is not going to have Hollywood type effects just because it's so large and such a heavy bullet. I'd gather it to be similar to a heavy caliber like a 300 Wby or 338 LM with similar bullet construction and distances for the simple fact that there is far too much energy for the animal to absorb.

There's a lot of guys who've been hit with 50 cal rounds that manage to survive, many obviously don't but it doesn't turn them into a fine mist showering down on empty boots.

The long and short of it is how much of the available energy/momentum is imparted to the target upon impact and bullet traverse. The 50 has lots of it on tap, the animal just won't provide a "hard" enough target to accept much.

I didn't really expect it to become a bloody vapor but I looks like to me that I just neeed to wack one and post some pictures!

I like the way you think.... blow the hell out of something and then you'll know what it'll do...
Just like a mad scientist! love it...

CWJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> many obviously don't but it doesn't turn them into a fine mist showering down on empty boots.

</div></div>

LMAO!

I think you should do it and get a high quality video so we can see what really happens.

May not have video but I promise to have quality pictures of it.

beretta:

Plowed a couple does (whitetail) with mine, not as much damage as you would think. ALOT of energy, believe me - they will hit the ground quick. But, there hasn't been the 'internal explosion' one might expect.

You will find skeletal damage away from the wound however. One from last year had a spine that felt like a logging chain even though the shot was behind the shoulder.

One hell of a good time though, make sure you have a spotter and trade off, it's almost as fun to watch as squeezing the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ace31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure to send some of those pics to Vicki. I'm sure she'll love you for it.

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2027443 </div></div>

+1
Damn it Ace, you beat me to it!
laugh.gif

That was great. That's what I am looking for!! anybody got anymore videos?

I was very surprised at how little damage ball ammo out of a .50BMG did to hogs. It made a nice hole, especially when it hit some bone but nothing jawdropping. We found a quick solution by hacksawing off the tip of the ball rounds and drilling a hole in the tip:). Can you say splat!!

I am planning on trying out some barnes hollow points on a pig or doe when I get the chance this season. Will try to get video when I do. If I don't get video I will have pics.