• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.50 Cal Recomendations?

Zion4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
New York
Today my dad told me that he was interested in getting some kind of .50 BMG rifle. Of course I immediately thought of Barrett, but I am fully aware that Barrett is not the only and not necessary one of the better .50's out there (it may be--I dont know much about .50's). He's not an extremely intense shooter and doesnt get to shoot often (because he works so much). But when he does get the opportunity to shoot, he tries to make the most of it and enjoy himself to the fullest by shooting nice and cool rifles. I don't think budget is much of an issue for him, but he won't spend something crazy like 15,000 on a gun that he will rarely be able to shoot.

What would you recommend he get?

Re: .50 Cal Recomendations?

Hmmmm I didn't think NY was a 50BMG friendly state. If you're ever in the Augusta, GA area let me know and I'll let yall shoot mine.

Second the windrunner or the DTA multi-cal platform. I have a windrunner on order from Bill. Great person to deal with thus far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm I didn't think NY was a 50BMG friendly state. If you're ever in the Augusta, GA area let me know and I'll let yall shoot mine.</div></div>

I know there was some attempt to try to ban them, but I dont think it got anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they banned them in NYC, but thankfully I'm right outside of New York City and their horrid gun laws dont apply to him or me.

Have him decide if he wants a bolt-action or semi.

I would also suggest EDM windrunner for a bolt-action.

Barrett 82a1 for a semi. A friend of mine has one and it is very fun to shoot. But you go through alot of ammo before you realize it...

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">RANGEMASTER .50 Sniper Weapon System</span></span>

rangemaster-50-tactical-rifle.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">COMPLETE PRICE $8740</span></span>

A high performance tactical rifle, with an effective range of up to 2,000m, manufactured from RPA's world beating products, designed for professionals and enthusiasts alike. The heart of the Rangemaster .50 is the RPA 4-lug Quadlock® action renowned for unrivalled accuracy, durability and safety.

CRAFTED PRECISION

Action, bolt and barrel coatings are extremely hard wearing, corrosion resistant and have a very low coefficient of friction; wear is therefore greatly reduced, with the major advantage that the rifle may be used in harsh conditions without lubrication.
Triggers are fully adjustable and easily maintained. We feature a two stage trigger operation with a pull weight factory set at 1.5Kg. The safety is incorporated into the trigger design and locks in two places.
An extremely fast lock time (time from trigger pull to detonation) is 1.5 milli-seconds. This further improves accuracy when shooting at long range.
Premium quality barrel chambered to internationally recognised specification. All RPA barrels are pre-machined to accept muzzle brakes or suppressors as standard.
Barrels are fluted for good balance with a length and twist to suit the distance required.

PACKAGE
The rifle kit is supplied with instruction manuals, along with tools and cleaning kit as standard. A full range of support equipment is available on request.

Caliber .50 BMG (12.7x99mm)
Barrel lengtd 32" (812mm)
Twist rate 1 turn in 15" (1 turn in 381mm)
Overall lengtd 60" (1520mm)
Length folded including muzzle brake 48" (1230mm)
Weight including bipod and leupold riflescope 37.3 lb (16.95 Kg)
Magazine capacity 5
Fitment for night vision Yes
Mount for light / laser designator Yes
threaded for muzzle brake or sound suppressor Yes
Muzzle brake included Yes
Sling attachment points Yes
Supplied witd hard waterproof transit case Optional
Drag bag Optional </span>

Please see our web site for more details on this system
www.DRAKEASSOCIATES.us

Edit///Barrett 98B for the bolt action.

The real deal. Chosen by the U.S. military since 1989- and I've yet to read a gripe from anyone- soldier or civilian.

It is my "if I could have anything" rifle, for sure. Why go with an imitation..."better out there", I doubt it.

shot the M82 in A-Stan, and love it as long as I wasn't paying for the rounds myself. Got a 98B when I got home and love it (and can afford to shoot it)

Do you feel like you're sacrificing too much accuracy with the Barrett M82, because I thought it was somewhere around 2-3MOA?

Edit: I heard elsewhere that it was 2-3MOA but now that I'm looking around I see that it may be 1 MOA or even sub MOA. Can someone clarify this?

armalite ar50, it is what i ended up, i think they are the best bang for your buck.

the single shot gives you time to wipe the big ass smile off your face!

The Barrett 82 is a awesome rifle and in my opinion is the only way to go if you want a semi auto system.

For a bolt action rifle, the EDM Arms Windrunner is top notch.

Desert Tactical Arms HTI also looks very interesting.

Best bet is to come up with a price point first. You can easily spend $6-10K for one if you have the cash but if you're looking for something in the $2-4K range don't waste time looking at the M82, M107, Windrunner etc. They aren't on the low priced schedule. For the guns toward the lower end of the pricing look at the single shot barret bolt gun, the Serbu BFG50, and possibly the Viper. The Serbus have excellent accuracy and the recoil is pretty low due to the great brake. The barret single bolt rifle is pretty good for accuracy as well but of all the .50's I've shot the barret is the hardest hitting to the shoulder. Not a big deal if you shoot much. Think back to when you thought a .308 was high recoil...
The Armalight AR50 has about the lowest recoil of all I've shot but they never had a very good feel to me. Personal preference only here...nothing wrong with the rifle.
I have no hands on experience with the Vipers but have heard good things.
I personally own a Boys MkI rifle in US .50 BMG rather than the original .55 round. Its a converted WWII Brit anti-tank rifle and while I love the thing I wouldn't put it up as a contender here. They're long and ungainly and probably in the middle of the price range due to the reinactors and other military collectors.
There are some even lower priced units out there but most are conversion uppers for AR's. Some seem to have some fairly good accuracy but once again for personal reasons I've never really looked at them.

Lots of choices to choose from and a real can of worms until you pick a price range to look at.

Hope that helps some.

Frank

What kind of Real-World accuracy can you get out of these less expensive single shot .50's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spaceman_Spiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you feel like you're sacrificing too much accuracy with the Barrett M82, because I thought it was somewhere around 2-3MOA?

Edit: I heard elsewhere that it was 2-3MOA but now that I'm looking around I see that it may be 1 MOA or even sub MOA. Can someone clarify this? </div></div>

2-3 MOA is about right. With the shorter barrel it may be better, but not sub MOA. It wasn't designed for anti-personnel use.

According to owner 1 MOA semi auto

50.jpg

I really would like to hear any experiences with the RND 3000

Hi,

I have a lot of experience with multiple 50s and am happy to share what I have learned and experienced for myself.

I have a McMillan single shot and have shot about 6 or 7 1000 yard matches with it. We shoot 6 targets with 5 rounds on each target and you are scored for group and score separately.

In this gun I shoot 808 grain Lehigh bore riders with 238 grains of VV20n29 and CCI #35 primers getting me 2700 fps.

My best results with this 50, at a 1000 yard match, was 6 record groups averaging 10.5 inches at 1000 yards with a smallest group at 5 and 1/8 inch.
My worst results with this 50 at a match was an average of 12.5 inches. So this is a very consistent, good shooting rifle in my book!

I also have a Barrett M82 I have shot at least a dozen matches with and every match has averaged between 22 and 26 inches at 1000 yards. My best group with this rifle was 11.75 inches at 1000 yards which was the FCSA semi auto record group for years! (not sure if it still is) This was with the Hornady A-max loaded at 220 grains of H50BMG powder. This load is too long to fit in the magazine however.

In my experience at the matches, my fellow competitors shooting the Windrunner never performed up to what some of the other rifles did. I know for sure they never placed! This is not to say they are not capable of better performance, just that they have never done well at any of the matches I have been to. This is what kept me from buying one.

My first choice for a fun, high fire power 50 would be the Barrett M82/107, There is nothing like rapid firing that thing!
If your looking for a more accurate platform that can be competitive at matches as well as be a good tactical rifle I would seriously look at the Tac-50, or if you don't mind spending the money the new Accuracy International AX50 looks awesome! These 2 would be my first choices for bolt action rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shedhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">armalite ar50, it is what i ended up, i think they are the best bang for your buck.</div></div>

+1. Accurate, reliable, low recoil. Proven design, holds value well.

I really like the ALS 50 conversions. They are heavy, but the most accurate of the single shots that I have fired including Serbu, Ligamec, Armalite, Bohica, and Barret. I do have one for sale on this forum, but I and not expressing my opinion in hopes of selling my rifle. It just seems like people forget about this brand and these rifles have set several world records.

Actually, if your looking for the best shooting rifle for the money I would have to agree! I have seen many AR-50s shoot really well in the matches! Last time I checked you could pick one up for under $3,000.

Spaceman_Spiff:

If you are looking for more opportunities, check this page for the pink #5 (indicates 50 BMG). There are 50+ opportunities.

http://elr-resources.com/page2.html

Before you get too serious, I'd develop a short list and then I'd spend some time using the Search feature on this site to see what other posters have experienced.

Also, there is a 50 BMG-focused shooting association, the Fifty Caliber Shooting Association (FCSA) - here's their link http://www.fcsa.org/wwwroot/index.php. While they have a "vendors" listing, you will not (IMHO) find any other companies than the ones found on the page I listed above (my website). [If you do, PLEASE let me know so I can add them.]

Beyond the rifle you can easily <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">double</span></span> your "package" cost by the time you add scope, scope base, scope rings, case, and the dedicated reloading gear you need for this cartridge. Beyond that, check here for where you can actually shoot a 50 BMG at or beyond 1000 yards - http://elr-resources.com/page8.html. Look for the pink tag, "50 BMG OK". [Again, if you find others, PLEASE let me know.]

Finally, I'd also check the Beyond 1000 forum on this site and the BIGGERHAMMER 50 BMG site - http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/. Use their search feature.

Best of luck, you are about to be overwhelmed with info - some good, some junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ELR Researcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spaceman_Spiff:

If you are looking for more opportunities, check this page for the pink #5 (indicates 50 BMG). There are 50+ opportunities.

http://elr-resources.com/page2.html

Before you get too serious, I'd develop a short list and then I'd spend some time using the Search feature on this site to see what other posters have experienced.

Also, there is a 50 BMG-focused shooting association, the Fifty Caliber Shooting Association (FCSA) - here's their link http://www.fcsa.org/wwwroot/index.php. While they have a "vendors" listing, you will not (IMHO) find any other companies than the ones found on the page I listed above (my website). [If you do, PLEASE let me know so I can add them.]

Beyond the rifle you can easily <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">double</span></span> your "package" cost by the time you add scope, scope base, scope rings, case, and the dedicated reloading gear you need for this cartridge. Beyond that, check here for where you can actually shoot a 50 BMG at or beyond 1000 yards - http://elr-resources.com/page8.html. Look for the pink tag, "50 BMG OK". [Again, if you find others, PLEASE let me know.]

Finally, I'd also check the Beyond 1000 forum on this site and the BIGGERHAMMER 50 BMG site - http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/. Use their search feature.

Best of luck, you are about to be overwhelmed with info - some good, some junk.</div></div>

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great information. That list of ELR guns you have on your website is great!