• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 cal reloading supplies

Re: 50 cal reloading supplies

Graffs
Widners
Polygunbag
Hi Tech
Pats reloading
Ten X
Lehigh
Amer-I-Can
Da Plane
50bmgsupply

It depends on what you are doing. If you are just plinking I would go to wideners and get the primers, surplus powder and their south african surplus bullets and find some lake city cases from gunbroker. If you are more serious about shooting then I would go to wideners again for Hornady a max bullets and or primers. Go to powder valley for H50bmg powder and or bullets. And get some good new brass either winchester or CBC.

1+ for Crod1972 on the 50 BMG brass. I got a bunch from him. Great quality and price. Can't beat that.

Bought a bunch of LC brass from him and there was a bunch of IMI brass mixed in with it. IMI is like gold. Hard to get and the best military or commercial brass you can find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought a bunch of LC brass from him and there was a bunch of IMI brass mixed in with it. IMI is like gold. Hard to get and the best military or commercial brass you can find. </div></div>

Check Barrett's e-store they sell their once fired brass in 50,338 and 416.On the 50bmg brass they sell milspec stuff and Barrett headstamped cases made by IMI.They go for $20 for 20 cases,I got 80 and they are real nice.

what makes imi the best brass ? something in particular ?

Quality, its the Lapua equivalent for BMG's. It holds up better and is more consistent than the other bmg brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quality, its the Lapua equivalent for BMG's. It holds up better and is more consistent than the other bmg brass. </div></div>

+1,It is the absolute best to work with and is extremely consistent.If you are just now starting with 50bmg reloading you will quickly find that consistentcy in everything is more important than most other calibers.

Thanks for all the info; I wanted to see what the real cost to reload is on this round, because I'm on the path of buying a California 50 DTC and I want to know what I'm getting into first. I've always wanted a 50, just depends on the manufacture to come up with a rifle now.

All we are gonna do is shoot a steel plate at 600 to 1500 yards unless there was a 50 cal match somewhere near San Diego, then I could get into that.

Since all you guys seem to have a bit of knowledge on the 50cal, I was thinking of a Barrel of 29". Is that too short and what distance would that barrel be good to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gordyd4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info; I wanted to see what the real cost to reload is on this round, because I'm on the path of buying a California 50 DTC and I want to know what I'm getting into first. I've always wanted a 50, just depends on the manufacture to come up with a rifle now.

All we are gonna do is shoot a steel plate at 600 to 1500 yards unless there was a 50 cal match somewhere near San Diego, then I could get into that.

Since all you guys seem to have a bit of knowledge on the 50cal, I was thinking of a Barrel of 29". Is that too short and what distance would that barrel be good to?
</div></div>
Shooting the .50 cost a friggin' fortune and takes a long time.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...793#Post1162793
Even when you are shooting pulled mil surplus. But it still works pretty well. This is about 180 yards with pulled and sized from HiTech
Don't think your plate will last long at 600.
DSC07528.jpg

As to matches, Tom used to put some on at the Desert Marksman
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2072025#Post2072025
I have not been to this but from what I have heard it is VERY well done and a lot of real good guys to shoot with, very well organized and new shooters are welcomed. It is a bit farther to go but seems to be well worth the drive.

Have not been to this one but the restrictions seem to make it for "girls only" club.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2237345#Post2237345
Nothing above .338 and the way the web site is laid out it seems like you will be thrown out if you sneeze to loudly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gordyd4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info; I wanted to see what the real cost to reload is on this round, because I'm on the path of buying a California 50 DTC and I want to know what I'm getting into first. I've always wanted a 50, just depends on the manufacture to come up with a rifle now.

I use a Lee reloading set for the 50 with great results.Get the K&M flash hole uniformer,the Lee trimmer set up and the K&M primer pocket cleaner/uniformer.I load South African 690gr ball from Wideners for plinking and various Lehigh match bullets for competition.I can load plinking ammo for $1.70 a round and match for $3.80 or so.Join the FCSA and you will have access to a ton of info and nationwide matches.29 inches is not to short and will work well with lighter bullets will most match rifles go 32-36 inches to get the most out of 800gr match bullets.
</div></div>

Ditto on the FCSA. The info there has saved me a bunch of time going down dead ends. As far as cheap goes, there's a guy on arfcom that shoots cast out of his. I'll admit that I'm thinking of trying it myself, just with paper jacketed cast. The real trick is to buy your components in bulk. I bought a crapload (more than 3K) of virgin AP back when it was cheap. Just wait for a good deal, and jump on it hard. That's about the only way to afford shooting a fifty unless you're wealthy.