• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50 Hushpuppy, 50 WSM, 50 Thumper?

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
Anybody running something similar? Just trying to get some loading data using 649gr API`s. WSM case cutoff at shoulder (1.650-1.700" case length).

Thanks

Somebody else is gotta be shooting this neat little cartridge. Need some loading data please with the 649gr API`s faster than subsonic.

Here are some loads and info:

510 WSM Article - Topic

This round is very sensitive to seating depth, as you might imagine. I've had good luck with 296, and 297. Peak velocity with API is 1700 using 680, which is also nice because the bullet is sitting against the powder and can't get pushed deeper in the case when chambering. It is really fun to go out in the desert and bust rocks at a mile with this thing, and really easy to spot too!

2cr3ekj.jpg

How about another CHEEP 50 cal "Whisper"

Here are some loads and info:

510 WSM Article - Topic

This round is very sensitive to seating depth, as you might imagine. I've had good luck with 296, and 297. Peak velocity with API is 1700 using 680, which is also nice because the bullet is sitting against the powder and can't get pushed deeper in the case when chambering. It is really fun to go out in the desert and bust rocks at a mile with this thing, and really easy to spot too!

2cr3ekj.jpg

:confused: First HOW do I post a new thread???? Can't find a "Post New Thread" link!!!

I finally had enough surfing the forums...so I'm doing ANOTHER 50 CAL Whisper...I started the process of digging up the pieces and parts about 2 weeks ago.

I'M TOTALLY CHEAP!!! I'm tired of paying 2-300 bucks for a set of wildcat dies from CH4D and waiting a year for them as was the case for the last wildcat I did.

So this time I started looking for a case with about the same H2O capacity as all the other 50's being done and found one that's been around a long, LONG time...the 50-70. 1.75" long, ~75 gr H2O, plenty of capacity for 900-1500 fs with 450 - 800 gr bullets, brass is PLENTIFUL and cheap...dies are cheap....I have a 50-90 so all I did was shorten the expander die to work with the shorter case and open my QUICKLOAD to develop the loads...the sizer works as is and the seater will need a longer seating punch(no problem)

While I was at it I went to work on 3 - 50-90 JAMISON cases and shortened one to 2.00"( same H2O capacity as the 510 Whisper, ~85 gr), one to 2.125", ~90 gr H2O(half way between the 50-70 and the 50-90...a 50-80 if you will), and one to 2.250", ~98.5 gr H2O. Starline case will give different weights I'm sure...BUT I CAN'T FIND ANY FOR SALE!!!!

My McGowan barrel is on it's way here, hopefully by next Monday...I have an Accurate Molds cast lead bullet mold coming in about 5 weeks, and another design waiting. I designed the lead bullet as an A-Max wannabe, something in the 750 +/- 50 gr range and I have designed a brass bullet tip that will increase the BC by ~.2.

This project is on a NEF stub barrel platform, but the rim of the case could be modified with an extractor groove and smaller dia for use in a bolt/semi rifle.

MUCH easier than doing a WSM case...nothing more than grinding a tool bit to trim the rim and cut the groove all in one pass...I've done that to 45-70 cases for another project back in the day. Chuck the case up in a collet, a 14mm will do fine and cut away...takes longer to describe it than...a d trimming the case down from 2.5 to whatever length you want is just as easy by making a "Wilson" type case holder and chucking it up or using a hack saw or many other easy to do ways...IF you are doing it for a rifle platform.

I'm doing the chamber with a 50-90 rental reamer, that way the case taper stays the same and I can use the $50-60 dies for both my Quigley and this project...I just have to cut the rim recess with a tool bit. I'm starting with a 2.00" chamber so I can test out both the 50-70 and "50-80" iterations.

The pressure range will be from ~11KPSI to ~35KPSI. The Sharps Quigley is rated at 28KPSI and the NEF with the large rimmed case shouldn't go much over 35KPSI.

This is a "Whisper" project tho' with velo's running in the 1050 +/- 50 fps...the extra velo's are as an adjunct...my 50 Rigby will handle the heavier stuff. An 800 gr bullet with a BC in the .85 range at 1000-1500fs, the velo between a 22 short and 22 LR and the energy of a magnum is a terrible thing to contemplate.

This project is SO SIMPLE AND CHEAP I should have done it years ago. My costs...Barrel and mold $300...Dies $25(split with the Quigley)...brass $1.30 each...reamer rental $50...$50 misc new tooling(three collets and a tool bit).

I will call my toy a 50-80 Shhhhhh. :rolleyes::cool::eek: lol

I will also do a LEGAL suppressor in time.

I LOVEIT