• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 50 MOA internal adjustment + 20 MOA base?

Donut

Critical Thinker
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Prescott, AZ
With a scope with 50 MOA internal adjustment (specifically, I'm loking at the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14), that gives +/- 25 MOA from “center”, right?

Assuming a 100-yard zero requires ~4 MOA (3.935, according to JBM) that would leave me 21 MOA of drop compensation before the scope bottoms out.

So with the 20 MOA base, that would give me an additional 20 MOA of drop compensation, for a total of 41 MOA-worth of compensation from the 100-yard zero, correct?

So with a load that theoretically (according to JBM) has a ~39 MOA drop at 1,000 (from a 100 yard zero), the 50 MOA internal adjustment + 20MOA base combo should be good to go at 1k, right?

Or do I have my math all messed up?

Re: 50 MOA internal adjustment + 20 MOA base?

If all your assumptions are true and it all works out as intended, your math is correct.

But, Murphy has a way of showing up and squashing your assumptions....

I'd opt for a scope with more travel if you can. 1 or 2 MOA of wiggle room isn't much..

Just my .02

Scott

do you prefer steel or alum base??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If all your assumptions are true and it all works out as intended, your math is correct.

But, Murphy has a way of showing up and squashing your assumptions....

I'd opt for a scope with more travel if you can. 1 or 2 MOA of wiggle room isn't much..

Just my .02

Scott

</div></div>

That's exactly where my worries lie. The Nikon sounds like a great scope for the money, but it's RIGHT there at it's design limits.

I have the 20 MOA EGW base on order, but I haven't settled on a scope yet. Maybe I'll look at something like the Millett TRS-1 instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you prefer steel or alum base??</div></div>

Go with steel.
they make cans out of aluminum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you're putting way too much thought into this...just get the 20moa base.

</div></div>

This is truly a dumb comment.

Original poster, good for you to actually THINK about the issue. Goodonya. Short answer, you're right. As to the scope, be sure to get the mildot reticle version. This way, if you run out of "up", you can use the mildots for intermediate aiming points, i.e. holdover.

Works for me, when using scopes that won't dial up/down enough to get the zero necessary.

You're the kind of shooter -- one who thinks about solutions -- who can make that work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you prefer steel or alum base??</div></div>

Go with steel.
they make cans out of aluminum. </div></div>

Egads, another classic. What's with the dipshit factor on this thread?
smile.gif

One of the best benchrest actions ever built is the Stolle/Kelbly 'Panda'. Made of aluminum.

Badger Ordnance offers an aluminum base. My BR rifle features an aluminum base and rings. Scope tubes are aluminum. H-S Precision stocks feature an aluminum bedding block, as does my Mastin stock which mates to a Barnard action. Aircraft are made from aluminum.

The thing you DON'T want atop your rifle is more weight than necessary. Get the EGW aluminum base, and be happy. It's an excellent piece of gear, and for $40 it's quite a bargain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you prefer steel or alum base??</div></div>

Go with steel.

...and airplanes, and scope tubes....
Nothing wrong with a quality aluminum base.
Seekins Precision is where it's at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you prefer steel or alum base??</div></div>

Go with steel.

Egads, another classic. thank you What's with the dipshit factor on this thread?
smile.gif

One of the best benchrest actions ever built is the Stolle/Kelbly 'Panda'. Made of aluminum. not a base holding a scope

Badger Ordnance offers an aluminum base. and FNGs buy them My BR rifle features an aluminum base and rings.good for you Scope tubes are aluminum. the dont move H-S Precision stocks feature an aluminum bedding block, as does my Mastin stock which mates to a Barnard action. Aircraft are made from aluminum. ever lived through a planecrash?

The thing you DON'T want atop your rifle is more weight than necessary.if you have biceps like a 10 year old .Get the EGW aluminum base, and be happy.or not It's an excellent piece of gear, and for $40 it's quite a bargain.</div></div> you get what you pay for.

that was fun.

Now, back to steel bases vs. aluminum

The weakest part of any scope is the mount that attaches it to the rifle, if you want to listen to meathead, go ahead and get aluminum bases, save that whole 30.00 and buy yourself a night out for the whole family!
Then, one day at the range you zero will change for NO reason, youll tighten the screws again with the torxwrench model 1000.
next month it will do the same thing.

I hope you see the point here.

Buy the steel mount ONCE. or learn the hard way like knuckelhead

For what it's worth. I use a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 with a 20moa base on a 30-06 out to 1000. There isn't much left but it'll do it without a problem.