• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 50% off a Minox scope with purchase of a M18 rifle at EO

Ok so I had noticed this since I first mounted and zero'd my scope but still not too sure. It seems I can dial all of the adjustment after setting my zero stop. I haven't actually looked through the scope and dial all the elevation to see if the reticle actually moves down all the way. Is this scope designed to be able to use all the internal adjustment after zero'd? If so, I've never seen that before on any other scope, pretty cool feature.

I do however find the glass isn't the best at high mag. It starts to lose contrast and looks rather milky or white-ish. The best way I can describe this is as if there was a drop of water that dried out on the objective but I have already cleaned it and wiped it with no change. Aside from the image losing contrast, it becomes very blurry around the edges, sometimes the whole picture, if I'm not exactly perfect behind the eyebox.

Does anybody notice finicky eyebox on the 3-15 model? This is really bothering me and it's pretty bad to the point where I think it might something wrong with the scope.

Got my new ZP5 5-25x56 on Friday, wow, just as good optically as my other ZP5 (which is the best glass I've seen, maybe ZCO edges it out ever so slightly but they are neck and neck), but nice surprise, the turrets are MUCH better, almost Kahles like in feel. Glad I went the 50% off route, all in all I spent under $2000k for a brand new ZP5, crazy, the only other scope I'd want is the ZCO and I like the MR4 reticle better than the ZCO MPCT2 so at almost half the price and now better turrets, I'm happy!
Can you post a video of the newer turrets? I looked at one a while back and the turrets were not very crisp.

Ok so I had noticed this since I first mounted and zero'd my scope but still not too sure. It seems I can dial all of the adjustment after setting my zero stop. I haven't actually looked through the scope and dial all the elevation to see if the reticle actually moves down all the way. Is this scope designed to be able to use all the internal adjustment after zero'd? If so, I've never seen that before on any other scope, pretty cool feature.

I do however find the glass isn't the best at high mag. It starts to lose contrast and looks rather milky or white-ish. The best way I can describe this is as if there was a drop of water that dried out on the objective but I have already cleaned it and wiped it with no change. Aside from the image losing contrast, it becomes very blurry around the edges, sometimes the whole picture, if I'm not exactly perfect behind the eyebox.

Does anybody notice finicky eyebox on the 3-15 model? This is really bothering me and it's pretty bad to the point where I think it might something wrong with the scope.

The 3-15 reticle will stop moving when it's out if adjustment but the turret dials all the way through the range. It will pick it back up when you come back down. Only the 3-15s do this. All 3 of mine did this. I would say that the eye box is not finicky. They do take some time to set the diopter perfect and with a new one I had I thought something was wrong with it and soon as I got it dialed in, all was well.

Talk to @jwknutson17 as he's had several ZP5 3-15's, but I can tell you the one we used for the Ultra Short review was stunning optically all the way through the magnification range, nothing like what you describe. I would definitely contact Minox for warranty service.

EDIT: Looks like jwk beat me to it :D Also, make sure your diopter is set properly as he mentions, that can make a world of difference if it is way off.

Can you post a video of the newer turrets? I looked at one a while back and the turrets were not very crisp.
I do not have a youtube account and don't care to get one either. I posted a video of turrets a while back I think using my Dropbox account; however, if anyone knows of another video hosting provider that does not censor gun related videos please let me know.

Talk to @jwknutson17 as he's had several ZP5 3-15's, but I can tell you the one we used for the Ultra Short review was stunning optically all the way through the magnification range, nothing like what you describe. I would definitely contact Minox for warranty service.

EDIT: Looks like jwk beat me to it :D Also, make sure your diopter is set properly as he mentions, that can make a world of difference if it is way off.

I would also say that optically it is very clear and crisp on all mag settings. I would second that he has an issue.

I'll try to see if I can get some pics through the scope on lower mag with bright colors versus high mag with washed out color, bad contrast!!!
I'll play around with diopter as well although I do think it's set up good!!

I'll try to see if I can get some pics through the scope on lower mag with bright colors versus high mag with washed out color, bad contrast!!!
I'll play around with diopter as well although I do think it's set up good!!
Is this one of the brand new scopes from the 50% off deal?

So I'm out in the field right now and I had planned to try to capture what I describe in pictures. Yeah, that's not going to happen. No way my shitty phone camera will capture anything the way it is in reality. However, the more i study this glass, the more disappointed I become.

For the record, I've already messed with the diopter by going to max mag and infinity parallax. I aimed at the sky, closed and opened eye repeatedly while adjusting, and left the reticle as crisp as possible. Any more tweaking will leave my reticle unadjusted to my eye and will make my viewing experience worse.

I've been messing with the parallax adjustment while looking at some dried up misquite logs sticking out of a pile of dirt and more wood. The pile is on a hill, so behind it there is terrain but it is hundreds and hundreds of yards away. I find this is easier for me to finely adjust and be more detail oriented because the background becomes very blurry or out of focus as I try to observe the tiny details on those misquote trunks (different focal planes due to a significant change in distance from my scope).

The blurryness is still there if i move the slightest bit off center and some opacity seems to come in as well which I describe as a lack of contrast. I've also noticed that at times, the right side of my image can become crystal clear but not the left, or vice versa. When I focus on a specific white spot on the trunk, I start messing with the parallax until I find I am parallax free. I do this by shifting my eye around a bit and look for no movement in the reticle in relation to the white spot. I can get the image crystal clear but again, I would have to be dead center. Aaaannnd, a small buck just popped out of the brush. Anyhow, this is really such a let down as I am not perfect and it is nearly impossible to always have the exact perfect cheek weld. I know the idea is to always be dead center but that isn't always the case.

I really wanted to like this optic a lot, as it is my first scope ever which I think could be up there categorized as "alpha glass" but I don't think it's working out for me. I've used weaver tactical, LRHS, and second gen Tango6 scopes which are significantly inferior scopes but did not have such problems with them. The image is still pretty damn good when I can get it really crisp, but I shouldn't have to be digging around and looking for that sweet spot all the time.

I'll be calling minox about it and see if maybe I can get a replacement but that won't be until hunting season is over. I don't want to be scopless and I don't want to use my back up rifle lol. The longest I'll shoot a deer here is about 300 yards, and I'm not going for head shots so I'll be good. I'm not exactly sure if this is one of their older scopes from earlier batches but I did receive it in a black box. Would anyone care to tell me the difference between black box and white box?

**edited for spell check lol**

^^^
It definitely sounds like you got a dud unfortunately. The strange thing is that I thought all the "new" ZP5's were white box units, but maybe it's different for the 3-15. I think JWK's 3-15 was a black box, but again, his 3-15 performed extremely well optically once we dialed in the diopter, it exhibited nothing like what you mention here. I would ask Minox to replace your scope since you literally just got it through their program. Minox customer service seems to have stepped up in recent years so hopefully they'll take care of you quickly.

I just got a bum Burris XTR III and it's a pain to have to ship a scope back that you just purchased, but they had a replacement to me in under a week, the new scope performs much better optically than the first one I had. Unfortunately, sometimes scopes slip through the QC cracks and make it out when they shouldn't, I've even seen this with other "alpha" class manufacturers.

Reactions: psychosniper
So I'm out in the field right now and I had planned to try to capture what I describe in pictures. Yeah, that's not going to happen. No way my shitty phone camera will capture anything the way it is in reality. However, the more i study this glass, the more disappointed I become.

For the record, I've already messed with the diopter by going to max mag and infinity parallax. I aimed at the sky, closed and opened eye repeatedly while adjusting, and left the reticle as crisp as possible. Any more tweaking will leave my reticle unadjusted to my eye and will make my viewing experience worse.

I've been messing with the parallax adjustment while looking at some dried up misquite logs sticking out of a pile of dirt and more wood. The pile is on a hill, so behind it there is terrain but it is hundreds and hundreds of yards away. I find this is easier for me to finely adjust and be more detail oriented because the background becomes very blurry or out of focus as I try to observe the tiny details on those misquote trunks (different focal planes due to a significant change in distance from my scope).

The blurryness is still there if i move the slightest bit off center and some opacity seems to come in as well which I describe as a lack of contrast. I've also noticed that at times, the right side of my image can become crystal clear but not the left, or vice versa. When I focus on a specific white spot on the trunk, I start messing with the parallax until I find I am parallax free. I do this by shifting my eye around a bit and look for no movement in the reticle in relation to the white spot. I can get the image crystal clear but again, I would have to be dead center. Aaaannnd, a small buck just popped out of the brush. Anyhow, this is really such a let down as I am not perfect and it is nearly impossible to always have the exact perfect cheek weld. I know the idea is to always be dead center but that isn't always the case.

I really wanted to like this optic a lot, as it is my first scope ever which I think could be up there categorized as "alpha glass" but I don't think it's working out for me. I've used weaver tactical, LRHS, and second gen Tango6 scopes which are significantly inferior scopes but did not have such problems with them. The image is still pretty damn good when I can get it really crisp, but I shouldn't have to be digging around and looking for that sweet spot all the time.

I'll be calling minox about it and see if maybe I can get a replacement but that won't be until hunting season is over. I don't want to be scopless and I don't want to use my back up rifle lol. The longest I'll shoot a deer here is about 300 yards, and I'm not going for head shots so I'll be good. I'm not exactly sure if this is one of their older scopes from earlier batches but I did receive it in a black box. Would anyone care to tell me the difference between black box and white box?

Don’t hold me to this but my understanding is the black box were early production. White box is current production. I have both 3-15 and 5-25. My 3-15 is a black box and the 5-25 is a white box. Both are brilliant. It’s difficult to get a poor image from either unless parallax is set to close range while looking further out. The eye box on both is quite good so proper eye placement is not as critical as with some optics but it is very important to maintain proper cheek weld/eye placement for clearest picture. At higher mag this is even more important.

It does sound to me like there must be something wrong with your ZP5 for it to act that way. Both of mine were very easy to set up and have been nothing short of amazing.

If you read through this, The MD80zR is the best thing to buy with a coupon. I absolutely love mine. At twilight looking through it, it looks like daylight.
Paul, could you elaborate on the spotter. How is the eye relief? There is apparently an older reticle and now the MRS-2. If you have the new reticle how do you like it? Is finding focus forgiving or critical. Anything else you can comment on would be appreciated.

The 3-15s I got this year are still black box. I have never seen a white box 3-15. Maybe the new ones from this last 2-3 or months are white, but I've yet to see one.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I would have them send you another before you use it. Only takes a day or two to receive. They are quick. If your using it and need a replacement they are just going to warranty it back overseas.

I'm not exactly sure I follow what you're saying. Are you implying I get them to send me another one before I send the one I currently have? I'm already using it out in the field. I figured I'll just let this season go by and send it back if needed once I'm done hunting.

I actually didn't get to speak to anyone today because by the time I called it was 17:15ish and well of course, they were closed. I'll try to speak to someone tomorrow...

I'm not exactly sure I follow what you're saying. Are you implying I get them to send me another one before I send the one I currently have? I'm already using it out in the field. I figured I'll just let this season go by and send it back if needed once I'm done hunting.

I actually didn't get to speak to anyone today because by the time I called it was 17:15ish and well of course, they were closed. I'll try to speak to someone tomorrow...

I guess I just didnt read your post all the way through. I was thinking you haven't used it in the field. I had a new 5-25 I sent back that I had not used other then just fondling it and they sent me a replacement immediately.

Reactions: stello1001
So I spoke with their customer service today. It seems there is absolutely no difference between scopes packaged in white vs black boxes per the conversation I had. The rep told me that Minox is simply changing their packaging for 2020 and have started putting some of their scopes in white boxes.

As far as my problem, I was quotes about a month and a half in turnaround time. This is considering the scope would be sent back to Germany, disassembled, have someone inspect all the lenses, prisms, etc. I'm actually OK with that turnaround time being that I once had to wait like 3 months on a Bushnell scope. I will have my scope sent in after hunting season as I know I'll be fine with if for deer hunting as of now. My biggest concern would be sending it in, waiting that month and a half, then have one of their reps tell me nothing was wrong and are shipping my scope back the way it was. Anyhow, I'll carry on for now.

Last edited:
So I spoke with their customer service today. It seems there is absolutely no difference between scopes packaged in white vs black boxed per the conversation I had. The rep told me that Minox is simply changing their packaging for 2020 and have started putting some of their scopes in white boxes.

As far as my problem, I was quotes about a month and a half in turnaround time. This is considering the scope would be sent back to Germany, disassembled, have someone inspect all the lenses, prisms, etc. I'm actually OK with that turnaround time being that I once had to wait like 3 months on a Bushnell scope. I will have my scope sent in after hunting season as I know I'll be fine with if for deer hunting as of now. My biggest concern would be sending it in, waiting that month and a half, then have one of their reps tell me nothing was wrong and are shopping my scope back the way it was. Anyhow, I'll carry on for now.
Honestly if that happens.... sell it and buy something that your eye likes better.

You can honestly say, that the scope has been inspected by factory and found fine. Put it up for sale at the price you got it and move on.

So I spoke with their customer service today. It seems there is absolutely no difference between scopes packaged in white vs black boxed per the conversation I had. The rep told me that Minox is simply changing their packaging for 2020 and have started putting some of their scopes in white boxes.

As far as my problem, I was quotes about a month and a half in turnaround time. This is considering the scope would be sent back to Germany, disassembled, have someone inspect all the lenses, prisms, etc. I'm actually OK with that turnaround time being that I once had to wait like 3 months on a Bushnell scope. I will have my scope sent in after hunting season as I know I'll be fine with if for deer hunting as of now. My biggest concern would be sending it in, waiting that month and a half, then have one of their reps tell me nothing was wrong and are shopping my scope back the way it was. Anyhow, I'll carry on for now.
I think this if one of the biggest detractors of buying from companies that do not have full service centers in the states. In this day and age, a month and a half is too long and I think a lot of manufacturers are getting dinged for this (by lack of sales) due to their poor warranty. Name almost any other brand besides Kahles, March or Minox and they have lifetime warranty's with quick turn around time that is usually days or weeks instead of months. If I have any gripe with Minox it is that.

stello, it stinks that you have to use a scope you feel is inferior through the hunting season because of this, sorry to hear that.

Got a call from Yim today, they got another batch of ZP5 MR4s in. Mine ships Monday— I’m stoked!

I’ve talked to at least three people at Blaser in Texas during this process and they’ve all been super nice and helpful, Yim in particular. Cant wait to try out the scope.

Not sure about buying 2 the official rule is one per household but people have been buying code from others which is OK.

Not sure about buying 2 the official rule is one per household but people have been buying code from others which is OK.

Where are you getting this from? That’s not how I read the terms and conditions.

The relevant part seems to be this so it seems to me you can buy as many times as you want?

“Limited to one OPTIC Item per firearm/serial number purchased.”

Last edited:
Does anyone know the retail price of the MD 80 ZR? I’m trying to figure out the cost with the 50% off coupon as sites selling it seem to list different retail prices so I’m not sure what it is directly from, Minox.

Does anyone know the retail price of the MD 80 ZR? I’m trying to figure out the cost with the 50% off coupon as sites selling it seem to list different retail prices so I’m not sure what it is directly from, Minox.

When you click buy now it only lists the MD 60 which I why I am asking as I know there have been some purchasers of the MD 80 ZR on this thread.

When you click buy now it only lists the MD 60 which I why I am asking as I know there have been some purchasers of the MD 80 ZR on this thread.
It says x60. *face palm* Another mark for my dyslexia. Instead, I thought I was reading 60x, as in 60x zoom for the MD 80. My bad. As you were.

I bought one.
It is $1008 plus $10 shipping.
No tax for me.

Reactions: psychosniper
I recall reading it from this thread but I never read the official rule.
May be you are right.

Where are you getting this from? That’s not how I read the terms and conditions.

The relevant part seems to be this so it seems to me you can buy as many times as you want?

“Limited to one OPTIC Item per firearm/serial number purchased.”

I bought two rifles at one time and ordered both scopes at the same time and had them delivered to my house at the same time. This was the two zp5 5x25 mr4 I later purchased an MD 80zR. I had it delivered to my house as well. Three scopes the same address.

Go to MinoxUSA if you would like to see the price. Click the line of scopes you desire and click the specs line. It will be listed at the bottom.

If anyone is interested in selling a code please PM me, don't need a rifle right now.

I bought one.
It is $1008 plus $10 shipping.
No tax for me.
I bought two rifles at one time and ordered both scopes at the same time and had them delivered to my house at the same time. This was the two zp5 5x25 mr4 I later purchased an MD 80zR. I had it delivered to my house as well. Three scopes the same address.

Go to MinoxUSA if you would like to see the price. Click the line of scopes you desire and click the specs line. It will be listed at the bottom.

Any further comments on the MD 80ZR would be appreciated.

@QuarterHorse other than not being an angled spotting scope, the glass is better than my Nightforce scopes, on par with my Schmidt and I can see a 4-inch orange sporting clay at a mile. It's extremely well made. I have nothing but great things to say about them. i have used it to groundhog hunt out to 1100 yards on hogs and shooting clays at thunder valley.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
@QuarterHorse other than not being an angled spotting scope, the glass is better than my Nightforce scopes, on par with my Schmidt and I can see a 4-inch orange sporting clay at a mile. It's extremely well made. I have nothing but great things to say about them. i have used it to groundhog hunt out to 1100 yards on hogs and shooting clays at thunder valley.
How is CA controlled with the MD80? The Minox ZP5 line is stellar when it comes to CA control, but that was designed by GSO and I'm not sure who designed the MD80, but it sounds like resolution is top tier based on your sporting clay at one mile!

Any further comments on the MD 80ZR would be appreciated.
I got mine this afternoon and have it sitting atop my INNOREL RT90C tripod and N52 panoramic ball head. I am sitting in my living room on a hazy/breezy day with fair mirage. I can read a stop sign 4,534 yards (2.58 miles) distant. Through the scope photo doesn't do it justice, have to wait until the mirage settles intermittently but it is readable. Very impressed so far.
9851F92B-D195-44E0-9CB8-31FEFB9C3EBC.jpeg

Attachments

• 4CC93611-96DF-4703-91D6-B1AE20FC991D.jpeg
    4CC93611-96DF-4703-91D6-B1AE20FC991D.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 117
Interesting, since the scope impressed me so much I was wondering how their spotting scope options are. Are these also labeled as "Made in Germany"?

Okay, let me know if this works, I tried to do a video of both the old (purchased Sept. 2016) and the brand new (Nov. 2019) ZP5 and compare the turrets between the two. I always thought my turrets on the old ZP5 were decent and even though they had some play they always landed on their mark, but the new ones remind me of the Kahles scopes I've had which have very distinct clicks and very little play.

Got my new ZP5 5-25x56 on Friday, wow, just as good optically as my other ZP5 (which is the best glass I've seen, maybe ZCO edges it out ever so slightly but they are neck and neck), but nice surprise, the turrets are MUCH better, almost Kahles like in feel. Glad I went the 50% off route, all in all I spent under $2000k for a brand new ZP5, crazy, the only other scope I'd want is the ZCO and I like the MR4 reticle better than the ZCO MPCT2 so at almost half the price and now better turrets, I'm happy!
Glad to see they’ve got the turrets figured out. It’s the same with my most recent one the turrets are top notch. If they can keep that level of quality control there won’t be any faults to the ZP5, especially for how cheap one can be had right now. That was really the only lacking aspect to me. I was not fan of the turrets of the one i traded my friend for. But he just got another ZP5 similar serial to mine and like yours the turrets he says are as good if not better than the k318i i traded him. So it’s good to see them paying attention.

Glad to see they’ve got the turrets figured out. It’s the same with my most recent one the turrets are top notch. If they can keep that level of quality control there won’t be any faults to the ZP5, especially for how cheap one can be had right now. That was really the only lacking aspect to me. I was not fan of the turrets of the one i traded my friend for. But he just got another ZP5 similar serial to mine and like yours the turrets he says are as good if not better than the k318i i traded him. So it’s good to see them paying attention.
This was the case with a new ZP5 3-15 that @jwknutson17 bought recently, very nice turrets, so was hoping the new 5-25 would be similar and I'm not disappointed. The big question is whether or not "all" the new ZP5's are coming out this way. If any other new purchasers of the ZP5 would care to comment on the quality of your turrets based on my video, I'd be curious if the majority are being manufactured this way. I have seen this before from other manufacture's and its encouraging and frustrating at the same time - encouraging because it shows the mfr is paying attention and improving their product, but frustrating because if you buy used you're not quite sure which "version" you might be getting. Again, for me personally I was not bothered by the turrets on the old ZP5 because they always landed where I dialed, but I do like the fact the new ones have less play and are more distinct in their click-click-click between .1 mils.

This was the case with a new ZP5 3-15 that @jwknutson17 bought recently, very nice turrets, so was hoping the new 5-25 would be similar and I'm not disappointed. The big question is whether or not "all" the new ZP5's are coming out this way. If any other new purchasers of the ZP5 would care to comment on the quality of your turrets based on my video, I'd be curious if the majority are being manufactured this way. I have seen this before from other manufacture's and its encouraging and frustrating at the same time - encouraging because it shows the mfr is paying attention and improving their product, but frustrating because if you buy used you're not quite sure which "version" you might be getting. Again, for me personally I was not bothered by the turrets on the old ZP5 because they always landed where I dialed, but I do like the fact the new ones have less play and are more distinct in their click-click-click between .1 mils.

If we are just going based on sound, mine sound closer to your older one. However, the amount of play in my turrets is extremely minimal if any, so it compares more to your newer one in that aspect.

As far as tension between adjustments, well I just don't know as there is no way for me to tell just off a vid...

Reactions: nfoley

I just got the call that my scope will ship today. I hope my turrets are very similar to yours. I'll be sure to follow up and let you know how mine feel.

I have 2 new ones coming and will be here Friday. I will let everyone know how they feel

I have a new ZP5 and the turrets are like your new scope. There's no play in them.