• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$500 Budget

mattyb

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
I would like to get started with a bolt action .22. I would be in need of everything, and would like to keep it under $500. I want a rifle, scope, bipod, cleaning kit, and some money left over for ammo.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks

Re: $500 Budget

Savage MarkIIBV $300
Mueller APV scope $115 shipped
Burris Signature Rings $35 (rifle comes with bases)
Patchworm Cleaning kit $10.50

That leaves about $40 for your sling, bipod and ammo. I've got the above, except for the Mueller, had a Leupold but it got promoted to my new Anshutz, so now the Savage is getting the Mueller.

As for the rings, I went with the signature so I could get the offset inserts to get some elevation to shoot distance. Have shot this rifle to 225 and been accurate enough to hit clay pigeons at that distance, not every shot mind you but enough to make me giggle like a little kid!

Hope this helps.

I have the Savage Mark II FV and it is a tack driver. Want to get a 10/22 for the repeater and ability to add accessories.

Thanks for the replies so far. Any other suggestions, or different opinions than Rolex24?

Some more info, it will be used mostly for fun target shooting at 50 yards, and up to 100 max. I might do some small game hunting.

Thanks

For your $500 budget, Rolex got it about 100% right on the money.

If you can go slightly over budget, I would get a EGW picatinny rail (preferably 20MOA) and appropriate rings. I think the one-piece rail is better than the two-piece ones that come with. But that's just me.

Well all these folks were rantin and ravin awhile back abot these Savage rimfires so I went out and bought one and honestly for the money... You just cant bitch about em good.. no damn good gun for the $$$ and I have the Mueller Tactical 8.5x25x44 and its an awesome set up Although I will add I have somewhat became a traitor to my Savage I bought CZ 452 just to see if I could out shoot my Savage with it..... Simple comparison reasons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireman610</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well all these folks were rantin and ravin awhile back abot these Savage rimfires so I went out and bought one and honestly for the money... You just cant bitch about em good.. no damn good gun for the $$$ and I have the Mueller Tactical 8.5x25x44 and its an awesome set up Although I will add I have somewhat became a traitor to my Savage I bought CZ 452 just to see if I could out shoot my Savage with it..... Simple comparison reasons </div></div>

Fireman, send me a pm if you want to shoot rimfire or get a tactical rimfire match setup. I'm in Louisville but shoot over in Indiana....New Albany area.

I think Rolex is on the money. I agree with Buffy and would get the EGW rail.

If you get the Savage, bring a straight edge to the store with you and make sure the holes that are drilled and tapped into the receiver are straight. Some people have had problems. I had a 17HMR that was ok, but the bases were drilled off center.

If you can spend more $ I would also consider the CZ, but for your stated budget the Savage is the way to go.

I went with the EGW 20MOA rail. Very nice piece. My holes were/are drilled off center and I ended up using the Burris ring bushings to bring the windage back in once I had my extra elevation taken care of with the rail. I needed the high rings on the stock bases but only needed the med on the rail as it's pretty beefy/tall. Scope was Leupold 6-20X40mm.

WITH YOU ON THE MKII, WITH ACCUTRIGGER OR OLDER ONE WITH A RIFLE BASIX TRIGGER. THE EGW BASE IS A MUST HAVE. ROCK RIDGE (I THINK THAT'S THE NAME) BIPOD, WHICH IS A HARRIS KNOCKOFF WILL SAVE $. I HAD TO PUT BSQUARE RINGS ON MINE AS THEY WERE THE LOWEST I COULD FIND FOR A GOOD CHEEK WELD / EYE ALIGNMENT. I DON'T HAVE A SLING ON IT BUT I USE A CHEAP ASSED BUTLER CREEK ON MY HUNTING STUFF, THE NEOPRENE STRECHY ONE. SCOPE, (I HATE TO SAY THIS) IS A CHEAP ASSED BSA 8-36X TARGET DOT PLATINUM, WHICH WORKS DECENT AND DOUBLES AS A SPOTTER AT PAPER TARGETS TO 200 YDS. FOR HUNTING, I'D GO WITH A MILDOT SCOPE, IF YOUR LOOKING FOR CHEAP GLASS TO PUT ON IT, TRY A CENTERPOINT. AVAILABLE AT WALMART, 4-16X ILL MILDOT, TURRETS, ADJ. OBJ AND EYEPIECE. PRETTY CLEAR FOR THE LOW PRICE. OTHER WISE A BETTER ONE WOOD BE A BARSKA SWAT SERIES, AND YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH CERTAIN BUSHNELLS OR NIKONS IF YOU HAVE ANY $ LEFT.

Savage MKII-F $249 list, this is the rifle I use.

Weaver windage adjustable scope rings. In the vicinity of $30. The Savage bases can be temporarily remounted using shims under the rear base to establsh a reasonable degree of slope, then remounted permanently with bedding compound to permanently lock in the slope, do both bases to eliminate angular stress on the scope tube.

Tasco 6-24X42 Varmint/Target/MilDot scope$68.95, A/O, 1/4MOA Clicks, Focuses down to 15yd, 1" tube, minimum of 75MOA of vertical adjustment. I own four on all sorts of rifles including my 1000yd precision F Class rifle.

Hoppe's #9 cleaning kit for .22-25 caliber around $14.

This comes to about $360-$370, assuming you are forced to pay full list price for the Savage MKII.

Wolf Match Target .22LR, (not Match Target Extra) lists at $45 a brick of 500rd, and two of them will leave you with enough spare buckage to buy lunch for two.

Greg

Do some shopping around. There was a CZ452 HB sitting used in a local shop with a leupold rifleman sitting on it for $375. That would leave you plenty of shooting money and if you wanted to get something higher power you could trade it off.

Tax season always seems to be a good time to be out in the local shops. Hunting season is pretty much over and people are trying to pay off christmas and have to pay taxes.

Nothing used? Mark II all the way.

I second the CZ 452. I have one and for the money its hard to beat. I had a trigger and spring put in it from brownells.

I paid $369 new for my CZ 452 varmit. The 6-24 Tasco scope referenced above at $70, $30 in rings, and a $15 Brooks trigger kit will make you a killer rig. It will cost you well over $1000 to get a better one (cough - Anschutz 1710)

+1 on Rolex's comment, but I'm not sure I'd go with his choice of Savage. I'd probably skip the glass and go to the FVT. That's just me.

CZ Varmint, Brookes trigger kit, Hotrod9mm's 20MOA rail and your choice of scope.....

TC