• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns .500 S&W pistol

cp3head

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
I am in the market for a Smith and Wesson .500 and I was wondering about the pros and cons of the 8 inch model versus the 10 inch model. Any insight from owners would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: .500 S&W pistol

I can't attest to the 500 S&W, but I do have 454 and .460.

You will get slightly better ballistics out of the longer barrel. The additional weight and length, if you do not mind it, will help with muzzle flip and recoil. A 10 inch barrel on a pistol is not comfortable to carry in a holster, so I would recommend a sling.

almost everyone with the 10" have gone 8" , just a lot more useable
(unless you want to use it with a bipod)

I have the 4". Quite reasonable to carry while hunting or hiking.

350 XTP, 42gr H110 - 1550fps
350gr Berrys RS, 17gr Titegroup - 1200fps

Longer tube means better sight radius / picture and a tad more velocity. I like the 8". The 10" looks like a walking stick.

(Still a big gun)

IMG_1979.jpg

I have the 8" and have shot the 10". The 8 has more recoil but is much nicer shooting off-hand. The 10 that I shot belonged to a guy who could only shoot it from a bench due to it being front heavy. I could shoot it off-hand but I still like my 8" better. By the way it is an awesome gun. I took a whitetail 2 years ago with mine, pass through from front of the right shoulder out behind the last left rib (quartering towards me). That was my light target load and it fell where it stood.

i would go 10 inch but then again i would get the 460 rather than the 500 ammo is more cost effective
either way if you use them for hunting whatever you hit isn't getting back up

I think the longer the better as far as accuracy. the 8 inch is great to shoot and so is the 10. i dont think you can go wrong either way.

As far as accuracy I cannot tell any difference they are both super accurate, more accurate than most shooters. The lack of recoil in the 10" does help but I was offered a trade for my buddy's 10 and I declined due to the extra weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdog2084</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the longer the better as far as accuracy. the 8 inch is great to shoot and so is the 10. i dont think you can go wrong either way. </div></div>

Longer barrels are not more accurate - but they do make guns easier to *shoot* accurately.

I like my 8", I think the 10" would be a heavy sob since the 8 is already that way and I can't see why anyone would want to shoot a shorter one at all. It does have serious recoil and is not for the light hearted. I would have to say the 460 is a much better buy since its easier to hold, takes 460, 454, and 45LC, and the 460 is about half the price of 500 factory ammo.

I have the .500 in 4" and I love it.
im 5'7" 210 lbs.
I have a shoulder holster and a belt holster. I prefer the shoulder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the .500 in 4" and I love it.
im 5'7" 210 lbs.
I have a shoulder holster and a belt holster. I prefer the shoulder. </div></div>

You and I must have similar taste. Love my 4" 500.... Love my Glock 30 above all other pistols.

Ahhh So you have great taste too eh?
I also love the Glock 30 over all. Ive had it since 1997

I'm 50 years old 6 foot 250lbs, and mine is a pussy cat. I most shoot 200 yards at a steel ram, hit it as much as I miss. Recoil not too bad. Prefer it over my friends 8" . My load is 440gr gas check with 38grs of either H110 or W296, I think the powders are the same. Here is mine pictured with my Freedom Arms 6" 500 Wyoming Express. Now that lil fucker has recoil.

IMG_4031.jpg
IMG_1860.jpg

10" harder to shoot off hand. And you only get about 100fps more. Not worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10" harder to shoot off hand. And you only get about 100fps more. Not worth it. </div></div>

Yes but you are 2" closer to the target.....

grin.gif

Unless someone is a limp wristed sissy, the 10" is easier to shoot off hand for a 200 yard gong, IMHO. Better sight picture, little extra weight soaks up a little more felt recoil and I find the gun balances better.