• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 500 yard cold bore shot.

58blackflag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2012
SC
Got the rare Monday off of work and an empty hunting club today allowing me to stretch out my little 18" SSC .308. I've been sort of practicing this type of situation in the event I drive up on some feral pigs while riding the club. I def need to work on speeding up the process...I certainly need to have a dope card ready and on the gun to save time. In any case, this is a way more fun than shooting at the 100 yard bench to check zero!

500 yard cold-bore shot. - YouTube

Butler Creek scope caps break easily, but they're cheap. So find the right size for the rear end of the scope and buy more than one. Get some white masking tape, cut it to fit inside the scope cap, write your DOPE chart on the tape. When you open the cap, you can easily reference the chart.

I'd recommend going to a 178 A-max or 175 Match King. Out of a 308 Win it is very consistent to 5-600 in all conditions. More so than the 168, and cuts the wind better. When you've shot enough, you'll eventually have the corrections memorized.

Keep the scope set at the lowest power setting, and parralax set for 100 yards, ALWAYS. Consistency is the name of the game, muscle memory will be developed if you know you are set on a low magnification, and parralax is always set for 100 as soon as you touch the scope. You will also be faster gaining the initial sight picture on a low magnification. Even with a tail wind you should adjust parralax to be able to see the mirage. You will have a left to right, or right to left deflection with a 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock wind. It's the type of wind I hate shooting in.

I work in the country quite a bit, and usually have a rifle with me. Rifle, ammo, range finder is all I take. Speed is of the essence when trying to get a shot on a hog or coyote, which I try to never let walk.

Sorry, I took for granted not everyone uses FFP. All of mine are FFP, is why I suggested it. Some shots are inside 100 yards, low magnification gets you closer to irons for a fast shot. But I agree, if you're running SFP you should be set at the magnification the reticle subtends if a distance shot is probable. I shot my elk, at last light, at 200 yards, on 6X. Though I had 24X available I didn't want it in low light, and I was shooting in an odd position. That's a much different scenario from hitting coyote or hog vitals, I realize.