• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s .50BMG and Youtube

Chiller

Minuteman
  • Dec 18, 2008
    Sole resident of Mt. Crumpit.
    I happened on to a interesting Youtube Vid and felt compelled to respond. While I understand that the range may “allow” this and it is his “right” to own a .50 it would seem that he has a responsibility as a gun owner to act responsibly.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z82o_pYdQWQ&feature=email"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z82o_pYdQWQ&feature=email" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Barret M82 Rifle

I am curious what your thoughts are on the subject. Not a discussion of “rights” more a discussion of responsibility and considerate to fellow shooters. A 50BMG with a Brake would seem to violate both responsibility and consideration.

Your thoughts?

Re: .50BMG and Youtube

Holy fuck that's loud!

Not a mystery though as it's not even close to invisible; set that baby up next to me and I get to shoot it a couple times or I'm going to go into rifle range pester mode!

We all know the type!

My brother and I were sighting in his 243 at an outdoor range with a covered roof.

After the penial deficient clown next to us touched off one round from his AR-50, it was time for us to leave.

Personal responsibility and consideration matters all the time -- not just when there's firearms involved. My range is open 8am to sundown every day of the week. From the firing line, between the impact and lateral berms, a shooter at a firing position can see the steeple of the local church. Now, while it's not against the club rules to go shooting on Sunday morning, it falls to the courtesy and responsibility of the shooter to not act like a tool and schedule shooting times on any part of the week that's not Sunday morning.

Personal feelings -- anything bigger than .308 should not be shot indoors. Even a .308 with a brake probably should not be shot indoors. Bottom line is, the shooters each pay for the use of the range. If one shooter wants to act like a jackass and ruin the experience of everybody else, then the rest of the shooters will leave. Enough shooters leave and don't return, the range will be shut down. That's reason enough to not shoot the 50 inside. If it were my range and the facilty could support it, I'd allow anything over .308 only at certain times, for the enjoyment of all shooters.

I shoot my BMG indooors on a regular basis but this is my private range but would never subject it to others in/on a public place.

The 50 BMG is daunting to say the least, indoors or out the muzzle blast is stout 5ft either side of the shooter.

I would never shoot my Windrunner indoors. At the range I will choose a spot as far from everyone as possible, but this is rare to say the least. The partitions only act to amplify and direct noise to the shooter. Of course it is not just the noise it is the concussion also that puts the smack down.

I'll proffess ballistic ignorance here but after watching that one video where the guy shoots a steel silhouette with a 50bmg and the ricochet knocks his ear muffs off...don't think I'd ever feel comfortable shooting a .50bmg at 25yd.

As far as the muzzle brake indoors goes, total dick move. I had a muzzle braked .221 Rem. Fireball split my ear drum once at an <span style="font-style: italic">outdoor</span> shooting range and let me tell you 2 months of tinnitis symptons will drive you insane. I understand the application and use of a muzzle brake, but the trade-off is a health risk to yourself and others. A Rifle report is loud enough to cause hearing damage, using muffs drops that report 19-30dB lower. But when a brake is fitted to a muzzle the overpressure and report go up even further, well over 160dB in most cases, and thus even with hearing protection on insufficient reduction in noise is achieved and hearing damage occurs anyway. To willingly shoot a rifle like that at an indoor shooting range with other patrons present is reckless behavior and the range owner is irresponsible at best for allowing that to take place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let me tell you 2 months of tinnitis symptons will drive you insane. </div></div>

Two months????

Lightweight
    laugh.gif

I'm in year 10 and if I live to be eighty that'll make it an even 40! If it doesn't get worse that is!

In the video you hear them call "Fire in the hole" letting everyone know it was going to fire. Its not like he sneaked it in there and lit one off without anyone knowing.

In my experience, those talking about responsibility are the same ones acting like Charles Manson showed up on the line when they see a muzzle brake at a competition. Its a gun... they make noise... get over it. I was at the indoor range last night shooting my 308 with a brake, at the same time the guy next to me was shooting slugs out his shotgun. No biggie.

I get a VA disability for tinnitis, so two months would be an improvement for me

Powder burns, I understand the .50BMG is field artillery and everything but I have many .50 rounds downrange and my work is much more damaging to my hearing than shooting. The use of good ear protection and even muffs and plugs will do wonders. As for shooting a .50 at steel at less than 200 yards is as stupid as shooting a .308 at 200 yards. 25 yards is just stupid. Splashback happens I have been peppered many times shooting pistols You won't see me shooting steel with a pistol without good eye, ear protection, and adequate clothing. Don't be so scared of the bullets bigger than a .22 they won't hurt you.

My buddy brought his AR50 to my range a couple times. We made sure it wasn't going to bother anyone before firing. He also normally has about a dozen or so extra rounds to let whoever is there shoot it too. We only shot when no one else was trying to concentrate, sight in, or whatever.

Only one guy got pissy, packed up his stuff and left. I don't think it was the .50 so much as there were three other people other than himself there (He was at the far end about 60ft down from us). Again, with him we didn't fire while he was but waited until he got his group shot. The rest of them all shot it, turned around, and smiled. One guy said he might need a couch to sleep on after his wife finds out he's going to buy a .50 for himself.

I would like to see what that did to the bullet trap.

If I saw you walk into a indoor range with a .50BMG, that would be my queue to pickup and leave for more reasons that I care to divulge here. I have shot a M82A1A inside a room before. It was due to necessity, not enjoyment and enjoyable it was NOT.

I wonder if we can do HE grenades at that range too.

LoneWolfUSMC brings up the 2nd point, about the bullet trap/berm. An indoor range just isn't set up to catch 750gr bullets at 2800fps. A lot of indoor ranges have a .30 cal limit. Dunno what that guy is doing differently, but either way its still a braked .50 indoors.

I took the time to expand a bit of my thinking on the matter. The answer I received was stereotypical for someone in their early 20 (his profile says he is 23). His comments were that;
    • Nobody died in the filming.
    • To not spam his video. Last time I checked this is why we have the option to add comments. If he did not like it then I would recommend the video to be private or to not accept comments (both are available on Youtube)

I discussed all the points discussed here.

• Firing a 50BMG on a indoor range is foolish and disrespectful to anyone near the muzzle blast (it does have a brake so a lot of the energy goes sideways)
    • The potential damage to the bullet trap
    • The concussion effect of the 50BMG
    • Etc.

I have never said it was not his right to own a .50, I did comment that in my opinion that with rights come responsibility and I feel he is demonstrating irresponsible actions.

The indoor range I used to go to didn't allow any centerfire rifles period.

Having once gone deaf for 24 hours from shooting a braked .308 inside a 3 sided structure with foamies and ear plugs I would have to say that shooting a .50 indoors "is not very polite".