• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50bmg API airburst problem???

edm714

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
Indiana
Wanted to ask about a situation I encountered today while shooting with a friend. We were shooting his 82A1 at a distance of about 420 yards. My friend and I usually shoot API rounds from DSarms. Good plinking stuff to shoot. Never had a single problem with it until today.
My friend was shooting and I was next to him watching. On one of his shots the round actually exploded in midair about halfway to the target. No damage to the rifle.
Has anyone every experienced this? I would never have expected that to happen but apparently it does.

Thanks for any help,
Joe

Re: 50bmg API airburst problem???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edm714</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanted to ask about a situation I encountered today while shooting with a friend. We were shooting his 82A1 at a distance of about 420 yards. My friend and I usually shoot API rounds from DSarms. Good plinking stuff to shoot. Never had a single problem with it until today.
My friend was shooting and I was next to him watching. On one of his shots the round actually exploded in midair about halfway to the target. No damage to the rifle.
Has anyone every experienced this? I would never have expected that to happen but apparently it does.

Thanks for any help,
Joe </div></div>

Maybe you guys should wear a face shield when shooting that batch of ammo. I have this clear plastic face shield I wear when using a die grinder or the like, with a headband that you tighten, sort of like on a welding mask, but the shield is all clear. Have you seen the movie, <span style="font-style: italic">The American</span>? It seems like if it could blow up in midair, then logically you could have a kaboom, as well.

I have shot alot of API/APIT thru a m2 and M107 and never ever had one explode mid way. are you saying that the round in flight at about 210 yards just exploded?.. I would be very careful with that maybe as much as to call the company with the lot number and told them what happen. next time might be in the gun or just out the muzzle lol, that would be no good and the waste of an expensive weapon. def need to look into it don't just shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DJ480</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot alot of API/APIT thru a m2 and M107 and never ever had one explode mid way. are you saying that the round in flight at about 210 yards just exploded?</div></div>

Yes, there was a flash in midair about halfway to the target and there was an impact on the ground just under the flash. I have never seen, or even heard, of any API bullet just explode in midair. We have shot at least 3000rds from DSarms and never had anything like this happen. I just don't really understand how it would explode in midair without hitting anything. And there were no birds around...

I wonder if you hit a bird or another airborne object.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was me shooting my 82 A1. The 9th round blew up just out of the muzzle and we found part of the jacket about 75 yards down range.
Link to my post on it and some discussion as to why it happened.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...5572#Post975572 </div></div>

Thanks for the link Jim. That might explain the problem. I'm glad I'm not the only one it has happened to. I'll try and inspect the ammo before I shoot it from now on.

Joe

I've seen a blue tip explode about 10 ft. from the muzzle. The core hit the ground about 75 yards out and was moving slowly. I suspect either a loose core or a bad or missing bullet base lead seal. I have found a couple pulled bullets that when shaken lightly by hand, you could hear and feel the core clicking and moving inside. I have seen other API and blue tips with bad or missing lead base seals. I shake all 50 bullets with steel cores and inspect the bases on all before reloading. Also I've seen a couple API's with tips that looked like a crack in the jacket tip. Very deep cuts in the bullet jacket from the pulling operation would be another reason to cull.