• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50bmg primerpocket loading question

Conrad101st

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
OK
So I used a swage on my LC brass, then I used a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer attached to my drill bit. The uniformer went right in and I gave a full 2 second blast till the collar bottomed out. Loaded 5 primers into shells. Went right in without crushing but could feel reasonable resistance on the down stroke and was right below flush.

Took all five primer only loaded shells out to porch and shot the rounds off. All five went bang.

Thing is, the shot primers are now sticking out slightly ABOVE flush.

Could my pockets be too loose or is that just b/c they were blank loads and b/c of some weird law of physics you actually get primer movement without a full load of powder and projectile.

I'm planning on firing 10 fully loaded test rounds this weekend before I do anymore brass work so I don't f-up 1000 pieces of brass.

Anyway, any thoughts???

Re: 50bmg primerpocket loading question

That's because you don't have a charge in front pushing the brass to the face of the bolt upon firing.
If you had loaded rds. and fired them you wouldn't have that "problem."

Re: 50bmg primerpocket loading question

That was my thought; that it was some weird result of not being a full live round and lacking the pressure to keep everything in place. Ill post my result of a few live test rounds . Crossing fingers.

Test fire results!

Ok, so we loaded up 10 rounds with 216 grains of 860 powder and API projos.

My buddy shot 5 rounds at the police range with his McMillan into the berm. Primers look perfect!

I'll fire my five tomorrow to see how they do in the old Serbu. I suspect they should be golden.