• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.50BMG rifles

Re: .50BMG rifles

AR50 comes to mind. Most any of them will shoot well if you load good ammo. Surplus ammo = surplus performance.

some of the AR uppers are nice as well, but I havent had much hands on with these.

I researched extensively about accurate 50 BMG rifles for your approximate price range. I bought an AR50. It can be a very accurate rifle with the right ammo. Of course, like zinny said shooting 50's accurately can be expensive.

The Serbu BFG-50 is very fairly priced and surprisingly accurate. They are pretty light and easy to move around too....unlike my Boys rifle which is heavy and very long.
The AR-50 is ok too but I personally like shooting the BFG-50 better and it takes up a lot less room in the back seat.

Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Serbu BFG-50 is very fairly priced and surprisingly accurate. They are pretty light and easy to move around too....unlike my Boys rifle which is heavy and very long.
The AR-50 is ok too but I personally like shooting the BFG-50 better and it takes up a lot less room in the back seat.

Frank </div></div>

Yep, for a drive by the Serbu might be the way to go.

I have a Vulcan single shot and I like real well.
I only shoot the Barrett ammo, have tried others but doesn't shoot as well.
Cheap entry level 50, I like and it hits right where I aim.

For a low cost accurate .50BMG rifle, the AR50 would fit the bill very nicely. You can get them easily in the $3k or under range and with good match ammo they have won quite a few awards in the 1000 yard 50 cal matches.

They are huge, but that does have an advantage in that the recoil is very minimal (just don't stand in the path of the blast from the muzzle break)

The biggest problem would be if you don't own a vehicle that can carry a 60" long rifle

I'm new here, first reply. But for what it's worth...
Sounds like you're new to .50. I can say from experience that you'll be in for a hell of a good time. They all have a commanding appearance, and straight up, a lot of guys/gals have never been around one. Looks good at the range, be prepared for impromptu Q/A.
I shoot a LAR Grizzly. It out-shoots me with factory A-max's. Retails for around $2400. Probably the best money I've ever spent in my life. Take your extra $600 and buy a press for reloading it.
Buy a membership to the FCSA regardless of which one you get. If you want to know about anything that is .50, that's the place to get it. Not that I'm officially plugging it, just that it's worth it's weight for .50 info. FCSA suppliers directory is like a little Bible. Anything and Everything to get is in there.
My 2/100 of a buck. Nice meeting everyone!

The LAR Grizzly is pretty much the best bang for the buck. It has a very high quality and efficient design for an awesome price. The Barret M95 is nice, has a 10 round magazine, and can be found once in a while for about $5K. The Grizzly is only a single shot, but that's the way I'd go anyway. I single load whether I'm using a rimfire or centerfire. I have a thing for inspecting rounds before I load them. Especially for matches.

I have the Serbu and love it. Haven't taken it out super long range or anything, but it's done great for me.

Thanks for all the info.I know someone who has a AR.50 I'll have to check it out.I'm going to look for a Serbu.50 also.Where is that Surbu.50 made?Thanks again.
Jay

If your interested in a 50 BMG with an AR style lower you might give these folks a try. It's the ALS 50, a friend of mine owns one, and he loves it.

http://www.50bmg.net/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a low cost accurate .50BMG rifle, the AR50 would fit the bill very nicely. You can get them easily in the $3k or under range and with good match ammo they have won quite a few awards in the 1000 yard 50 cal matches.

They are huge, but that does have an advantage in that the recoil is very minimal <span style="font-weight: bold">(just don't stand in the path of the blast from the muzzle break)</span>

The biggest problem would be if you don't own a vehicle that can carry a 60" long rifle </div></div>

Damn good advise, the muzzle brake does make some noise. My dad says its similar to when a grenade goes off, and it will blow anything and everything off of your table and off tables next to you.

I purchased a 99-1 a couple years ago as a kit for around 3,500 I think. It's mainly sat in the safe, but it sure is fun to shoot. I think they may have gone up in price, but haven't really looked around. It's really accurate just expensive to shoot, oh and the recoil is almost the same as a 12ga with slugs so no worries there. Get one or better yet two that way if they ever decide to ban them (which they probably will) you can sell one and get the other one for free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Serbu and love it. Haven't taken it out super long range or anything, but it's done great for me.</div></div>

I heard that the Serbus are rather hard to rebarrel? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it...not that I am interested in one, just curious.

Friend of mine has an AR-50 that he had re barreled at K&P and the thing is a tack driver with hand loads. He competes at some of the FCSA matches and does well considering the cost of his equipment.

durring my last deployment i started looking for a .50BMG rifle,. i setteled on a M82a1,.not the most accurate but it's alot of FUN!

for a while it was very close between the M99, AR50 & ALS with the AR50 coming out on top most of the time. i think you would be happiest with either the AR50 or M99.

which ever .50BMG you get make sure you join the FCSA

be ready for a crowd when you take it to a range,. they always seem to get everyones attention once you send the first shot down range.

and if you it shoot prone be ready for the "tossed salad" effect.

The ferrett 50s and the state arms ones are accurate also. The ferrett 50s place in fcsa alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Serbu and love it. Haven't taken it out super long range or anything, but it's done great for me.</div></div>

I heard that the Serbus are rather hard to rebarrel? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it...not that I am interested in one, just curious. </div></div>

Any gun is tough to rebarrel if you don't have the tools and equipment. The Serbu is no more difficult than any other .50 from what I've seen.....try rebarreling a Boys rifle. They're a pain.
I've fired the Serbu out in Colorado at 1800yds with good results. I don't have any group sizes for you but every shot I fired hit the mark. The gun had good glass and was otherwise pretty much stock. Brake works well and while its a single shot its not a shell holder type so loading a round is simple and quick. I find that I don't use the mag on my Boys rifle as its easier to load one at a time and for the money we pay for ammo there isn't any hurry to burn it all up.

Frank

Echo Rarebreed 93. I have a Vulcan that I got really cheap via Gunbroker. They got a lot of bad bashing on some forums, but I think those bashing them had never seen one. But because of all the Vulcan-bashing, the prices were great!

I took the chance and bought one and in examining it, thought it was a very well-made, nicely designed (massively heavy!) rifle. Only fired it a few times... one of my few safe queens. But it's accurate and fun. There's one on GB now w. no reserve for $1350... Can't beat that!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Here is the picture of the Hesse Vulcan lamp. Not sure that all the bashing was not deserved. I have not shot one but due to the issues with them they were actually banned from competitions from what I have heard.
Here are a few comments copy and pasted from FCSA on issues with the Hesse Vulcan.
HesseLamp.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Vulcan and reported about some problems that are potentially fatal for the shooter or bystander.
First of all I want EVERYBODY to know that Vulcan/Hesse service, warranty and customer satisfaction is a freakin joke! Worst of any gun manufacturer I've ever dealt with. They would not accept the fact that I had a problem and would not issue me a return authorization ticket. Not even if I sent it on my own dollar would they look at it!
This is an exact quote. "Save your money and ours. The gun is perfect. You are shooting the wrong ammo. We dont want to see the bolt"
I had gunsmiths look at it. The bolt face was bad.
As far as the firing pin coming out before the bolt was fully locked....now THAT was a problem I wasnt going to accept.
This really sucks to have to do this to a gun that was under warranty but I fixed its shortcomings.
Dont laugh at this. It worked perfectly. If the bolt handle was pushed down slightly while pushing it forward to lock, it would "lock" up and the firing pin would spring out. The pin didnt hit with full force but enough to dent the primers. Scary stuff!!! So I did something simple that the factory should have done. I took a piece of metal from an ammo can, cut, polished, shaped, and attached it to the receiver with two 8X32 hex head screws. Problem solved. The bolt handle can not be pushed down until it is fully forward.
The bolt face. Ok..dont laugh again. Since Vulcan wouldnt fix it and the primers flowed back enough to pierce a primer and break the firing pin spring, I fixed it too. I am absolutely, positively ashamed of my repair but it has worked for over 100 rounds without a hint of a problem.
Actually it works great. Its JB weld in the center of the bolt where the firing pin comes out. It holds the pressure and heat without a problem. Its a lot of work to make a crappy gun safe to shoot and work I shouldnt have to do.
I feel safer and it does shoot pretty good. No problems since the fix. The firing pin spring came from Ace Hardware.[end quote]</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own the vulcan lamp. My problems were two fold, first the spent cartridges had to be beat out of the chamber. Second the firing pin hole was so big the primer would would flow back into the hole. I took mine to two gunsmiths and both recommended I not shoot it again. That was good enough for me. It would go bang everytime though. I tried military surplus and then handloads and had the same results. The spent cartridge, once beat out of the chamber would not rechamber without having to be beat out again. The same handloads are shot all the time in my AR50. This is not hearsay, but actual first hand experience. I have never seen one blow up and I decided I didn't want to take the risk. Personal choice. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was surprised to see my quotes from months ago. They havent changed and everything I said is very, very true. Its a freaking grenade near your face.
I did improve a turd but there is only so much a turd can be improved. Maybe some glitter on it...nah, its still a turd.
The horrible chamber with the ring on the case, the firing pin coming out before fully chambering....this gun needs to be banned from the human race!And the busted firing pin springs from blown primers. That is not a good thing and sevice from Vulcan was the WORST I have ever encountered. They said it was MY fault!
I will calm down now. I don't own it any more. I took over a $1,000 loss on it. That was fine with me. I never want to see one again. </div></div>

I'm going to shoot a Barrett single shot tomorrow.Does anyone have experiance with one?Is it a good rifle?

They are nice. You will have a good time. I suggest strongly to use ear plugs and muffs. Also good eye protection as concussion as well dirt sand and dust as well as anything on the ground or table will get "kicked" up pretty well. Also just put your hand up and make sure you have a good 3 to 4 fingers of distance between your eyebrow and the ocular bell of the scope. That's it, have fun.

i got a 99 and love it . it doesnt really "kick" that bad , but the CONCUSION IS BRUTAL. the break is very effective at redirecting everything back. i have gotten a twitch in my eyelid for a couple hrs. after some extened shooting . im not completely sure that caused it or maby just too many paint chips when i was younger. regardless it always puts a big smile on my face. i let a 14 yr old shoot it and he did well with it. its a blast!

Reactions: deersniper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to shoot a Barrett single shot tomorrow.Does anyone have experiance with one?Is it a good rifle? </div></div>

I have the M99, and it's fun to shoot for a few rounds. Maybe I'm a wuss, but 5-10 rounds is all that I want to shoot at a time. We blew the speaker in a friend's cellphone shooting it. We sat the cellphone on the table next to us. About 10 rounds later, he tried to make a phone call, and the speaker was blown. Lot's of overpressure....

The recoil isn't bad. My wife shot my M99, and actually really liked it.

CWJ

Shot the Barrett 99 today.I shot 30-06 that kicked more.If you are not standing right behind the gun the concussion from the break is like a slap in the nose.We shot API ammo when it hit metal it looked like a welding arc at 300yd.Lots of fun.It had a Tasco tactical scope.How do they rate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robozebra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to shoot a Barrett single shot tomorrow.Does anyone have experiance with one?Is it a good rifle? </div></div>

I have the M99, and it's fun to shoot for a few rounds. Maybe I'm a wuss, but 5-10 rounds is all that I want to shoot at a time. We blew the speaker in a friend's cellphone shooting it. We sat the cellphone on the table next to us. About 10 rounds later, he tried to make a phone call, and the speaker was blown. Lot's of overpressure....

The recoil isn't bad. My wife shot my M99, and actually really liked it.

CWJ </div></div>

I have the M99 as well. Lots of fun to shoot and not much recoil.
+1 on the concussion. It will clear your sinus cavity if you happen to have a slight cold.
Draws a crowd at the range.

I Have a BA-50 bushmaster (formally cobb) can be had for a little more new and if you are a good shopper and or used. 10 rd box mag left hand bolt right hand extraction Last time took it out it i measured .5 from center to center with surplus ammo @ 200 yd. and cheap-o scope. Have not had a lot of time but next time out will try to post some pics. Girlfriend shoots it and she loves it she only ways about 110 soaking wet. muzzle break makes it kick less Than fn xp 308.It is easy to but together and take down as it is similar to AR style Dual pin. Built like a tank. Serbu is nice as well as AR-50. I wanted a mag fed and the accuracy of the bolt action.At a good price. Extra mags $99.00 and extra barrel 699.99.There are many uppers as stated that can be had for 1400 and will hold there own against many high end rifles. Lots of choices in the 50 world.

I had a Barrett M99 and a Windrunner M96. Accuracy wise, they both are very accurate. Recoil and ease to shoot go to the Windrunner. The concussion is not as dramatic. I have shot 30-40 rounds at one short setting with the Windrunner and didn't have any issues. The Barrett, on the other hand, does give quite a blast effect.

Bought the Barrett 99.it was used had 13 shots fired out of it.We shot it 15 times before I bought it.We shot it on a bench with a roof over it.concussion was brutal.

Jaybird39

Just a friendly reminder to fill out your profile before the mods ask you.

I have spent quite a bit of time behind an M82A1A.

It definitely puts a grin on my face. If I was purchasing one on my own dime I think I would go with the Tac-50 or a Windrunner.

I would like to get some time on a AR-50 though. Gander had one recently and that is definitely one heavy pig.