• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50bmg sizing die for loaded ammo.

Jimmym40a2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
Colorado
I have a bunch of loaded ammo that fit the chamber of my AR50 and I sold it to get the barrel conversion for my Cheytac m200/EDM. The chamber is slightly different and the rounds are super tight in my new chamber. I needed to bump the shoulder a thousands or so to get it to feed correctly. The only problem is you usually have to pull the bullet-take the primer punch out of the die then neck size and reset the bullet. That might be fine for 20 rounds or less but I have over a thousand rounds to do. So I bought a resizing die took out the middle assembly.
Now the problem is you need to widen the neck area on a hardened die. (tooling will just bounce off in the lathe) The only way is to edm wire it out. I didn't want to spend another 150 bucks on this die. My friend in his machine shop said you can sand it out by wrapping some emery cloth around a metal rod but that it might take a while.(chucked up in the lathe) Well an hour and a half later it was opened up enough to run fully loaded ammo thru (not touching the neck) and and bump the shoulder/body enough to get it in spec. It's going to save me a ton of time. It's safe to do there is not a way for the primer to ignite. it worked great.
50die1.jpg

with ammo in it
50die2.jpg

Re: 50bmg sizing die for loaded ammo.

There you go again - getting all creative and thinking outside the box to fix a problem !!!

Nice job!

did you open up a sizing die?
did you try and use a trim die to bump the shoulder back?

KD185 it was a regular full length sizing die before i "reamed" it out.

1000 rounds that's a ton. I will have to look at my CH4D and see if taking the center out will accomplish the same.

Mechanic it wont. I have a Ch4d and it still squeezes the neck down so it wont work with loaded ammo.

I'll have to admit that my first thought was abrasives for the solution. Either lap it out (which you did) or use a tool post grinder with the right bit. Good job on getting the right fix to save a thousand potential PITA.

charmedfucking life

did anyone ever think to suggest that a longrider chamber is what you are dancing with.....

charmedfucking life

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I did 600 of them today. Working like a charm.</div></div>
I'm thinking you got a pretty sore right arm.