• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50bmg steel

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I have 3/4" ar500 that I've used for 300-600 yards successfully when toying with my 50bmg. It takes the hits without a mark except for the edge shots obviously.

My friend wants to try his 50bmg out at longer ranges and that target is too small. We will be using ball ammo (So that means even though it is not AP, they usually have a mild steel core). All targets are swinging.

What distance do I have to put my 3/8" ar500 to not bow it or leave marks on it? (We aren't talking about hundreds of rounds, and I accept that if there is an edge shot it will deform it there).

What about for my 3/8" ar400 plate? I have one that I use for 1000+ yards for my 338lm and it has worked great. But not sure if it will hold up at even a mile for 50bmg.

Last edited:
    That's a tough one. I shot some of my 750grn Lapua Hybrid at my Hardox plates and broke the hanger and sheared the chain. It made a pretty cool copper mark on the plate. DEC I shot some small AR500 plates at 100m with ball. It did some pitting and broke the target hanger but it wasn't anything crazy.

Reactions: sjoliat
    I would look more at .5 plate after 600yards. and maybe 3/8 at 8-900 yards

I would look more at .5 plate after 600yards. and maybe 3/8 at 8-900 yards
    do you have experience with shooting 50bmg ball at 3/8 ar500 past 1000 yards or is this a guess? I'm guessing past 1200 yards or so it won't damage, but I wanted to see if others had actual experience seeing it not put any marks in the steel.

I make targets for gun ranges.I do have some ballistic plate that has been shot at from 25yards with a 416 cheytac. not myself but a guy testing what I said and left no mark on it other than then normal bullet splash. But TRUE AR500 will work at that distance for years unless it is a FA weapon then all bets are off. Big thing is no sharp corners for a crack to start. Stan

Reactions: timelinex
    I make targets for gun ranges.I do have some ballistic plate that has been shot at from 25yards with a 416 cheytac. not myself but a guy testing what I said and left no mark on it other than then normal bullet splash. But TRUE AR500 will work at that distance for years unless it is a FA weapon then all bets are off. Big thing is no sharp corners for a crack to start. Stan
    Awesome, I appreciate the input.

Based on Energy estimates in my calculator it does look like 3/8" should withstand at the least 1000+ as that is when energy is equivalent to some of the ranges I've shot 3/8" with my 338lm... I was just worried that mild steel core would add an extra umph factor and still leave marks.

Last edited:
    Remember that there is a nasty ricochet hazard with .50 BMG ball out to about 200 meters if I remember correctly. That steel core can be pretty spicy.

• Wow
    Reactions: MO Fugga
    Even at 1000 yds the .50 BMG ball ammo will make a divot in 1/2” AR 500 plate.

Reactions: stefan73
    I went long range shooting today. By the time we got around to using the 50, we were short on time and tired so we went straight to 1760 with it. So unfortunately I don't have a good range report on the steel.

At a mile I had ar500 plates set up next to a swinging 3/8" rolled steel target that I use for 338lm and lower at a mile. The crazy part is that at a mile, the 3/8" stopped my friends 50 that accidently floated that way. At that distance, 338 usually makes a small dent. This was a deep dent, but not a perforation. The only nuance is he was using 625gr ppu and not ball ammo. From my understanding, it is lead core and not steel core like ball ammo. I'm guessing if it was just ball ammo like I was using, it would perforate.

Hope that helps someone that finds this thread looking for the same answers I was!

Reactions: MO Fugga