• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50BMG

Jaybird39

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2010
Anyone have any good loads for the 50BMG.Any tips on loading them will be appreciated.

Re: 50BMG

what do you have for components?
what are you shooting for a rifle?
every rifle takes a different PET load

MY AR-50 REALLY likes 215 grains of H50BMG with a 750 grain Hornady A-Max. I set my seating die using a military 50BMG round and then load the Hornady's. Due to the different shape, they load MUCH longer and shoot wonderfully small groups.

I use the Lee 50 BG press and dies.

George

Traveler
I have a barrett single shot.I ordered a Lee press yesterday and that is as far as I got.Are there any good loading books for the 50BMG?Thanks for the reply.

FCSA

Try these folks, they might have some back issues that cover producing match ammo.

The forum is alot slower than this one but will provide lots of info.

50bmg is not the round for taking short cuts (none really are) considering the amount of force involved.

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Traveler
I have a barrett single shot.I ordered a Lee press yesterday and that is as far as I got.Are there any good loading books for the 50BMG?Thanks for the reply. </div></div>

There is no SAAMI specs for the 50 BMG, so there is no reloading manuals for that cartridge. Having said that, there are plenty of recipes around here for that rifle and projo. I used to have one. For that I use 223 grains of H50 BMG, LC 08 brass, 5.575" OAL. It shot well in the Barrett M99.

There is a book written about the 50 BMG cartridge that you should get. The author of that book is not quite well received at this site. Nonetheless, it's a good book to have if you are shooting the 50 BMG. The book is called "Hard Target Interdiction: The complete 50 caliber sniper course" by Dean Michaelis. The other source for the 50 BMG is to join the FCSA like other have suggested.

Remember one thing though, the 50 BMG is not as forgiven as a 308, or 338LM. So work up accordingly. Don't try to cut corner with it, because bad things can happen. good luck and have fun shooting the 50 BMG. BTW, you may want to fill out your profile.

DesertHK
Thanks for the info.I'll see if my local book store can get that book.

Travelor
Is that 215gr load hot.What is the hottest load you have shot.Can you get to 3000fps.safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruzie27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what about loads for a M82A1? </div></div>

Start with 213 grains H50 Bmg and the 750 Amax. The 82 loves
that for a starting load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">.Can you get to 3000fps.safe.</span></span> </div></div>

If you plan to shoot the 750 AMAX, I don't think you are going to get to 3000 fps with that. At least, I have yet seen any recipe for that. Even then, I would question whether or not that's a "sane" load. How far are you planning to shoot your 750 AMAX? If you plug in the numbers for JBM, even at 2700 fps, you can go a long way. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DesertHK
Thanks for the info.I'll see if my local book store can get that book.

Travelor
Is that 215gr load hot.What is the hottest load you have shot.Can you get to 3000fps.safe.
</div></div>

215 is not a hot load
the amax prefer to travel around 2600 to 2800 fps
most people find 213 to 218 of h50 works best for the amax
some people like to think be "hot"
but the amaxes work best on the low side of the velocity chart
a brass solid you can run hot
i load the tenx 795 with 229 of h50 seated @ 6.2" coal
thats hot let me tell you

Ordered the book"the complete.50cal.sniper course" by Dean Michaelis from Barnes and Noble.$47.25 delivered to your door.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Traveler
I have a barrett single shot.I ordered a Lee press yesterday and that is as far as I got.Are there any good loading books for the 50BMG?Thanks for the reply. </div></div>

"There is no SAAMI specs for the 50 BMG, so there is no reloading manuals for that cartridge."</div></div>

Could have sworn the hornady manual has data for the 750 amax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Traveler

"There is no SAAMI specs for the 50 BMG, so there is no reloading manuals for that cartridge."</div></div>

Could have sworn the hornady manual has data for the 750 amax. </div></div>

There is indeed a recipe for the 750 AMAX in the Hornady manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">.Can you get to 3000fps.safe.</span></span> </div></div>

If you plan to shoot the 750 AMAX, I don't think you are going to get to 3000 fps with that. At least, I have yet seen any recipe for that. Even then, I would question whether or not that's a "sane" load. How far are you planning to shoot your 750 AMAX? If you plug in the numbers for JBM, even at 2700 fps, you can go a long way. JMHO </div></div>

Not even close. And don't expect ANY load data from FCSA-ever. There is plenty of 50BMG load info on this site.Not to mention elsewhere. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordered the book"the complete.50cal.sniper course" by Dean Michaelis from Barnes and Noble.$47.25 delivered to your door. </div></div>

You should return that book it was written by the guy that screwed a bunch of on this forum out of thousands of dollars:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...305#Post2031305

I wouldnt trust anything he says...

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordered the book"the complete.50cal.sniper course" by Dean Michaelis from Barnes and Noble.$47.25 delivered to your door. </div></div>

Half.com for books
Link