• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft 50L - 70L Pack Suggestions (+ Mystery Ranch Question)

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    I’ve got a 30L pack that is great for overnights in warm weather, but once things cool off I run out of space. What are some good 50L to 70L packs? Eberlestock and Mystery Ranch seem to be pretty common…

Question on Mystery Ranch specifically, what is the difference between their Metcalf and Blackjack 80? On paper, the Metcalf is 2.3 lbs lighter, 500 sq in smaller, and $400 cheaper. But the Blackjack is SOCOM issued, has more external pockets, and uses IR compliant zippers :oops:

I kinda like the Eberlestock better from a cost / layout standpoint but am open to other suggestions. I’d probably look at the Tomahawk or Skycrane II (any input there is welcome)

What are you using the bag for, exactly? What’s the goal, and what are you planning on carrying?
    For example, twenty miles hikes with 40+ lbs in 0°F? Or eight mile hikes with a sub-30 lbs pack in the fall?

And for how long? Three days? Four? Seven? With others that you can split the load, or alone? Hunting? Pleasure backpacking with a girlfriend? Etc etc etc.

Sort of hard to answer without more detail.

Reactions: rlsmith1
    Question on Mystery Ranch specifically, what is the difference between their Metcalf and Blackjack 80? On paper, the Metcalf is 2.3 lbs lighter, 500 sq in smaller, and $400 cheaper. But the Blackjack is SOCOM issued, has more external pockets, and uses IR compliant zippers :oops:
    The MR Metcalf is from the Hunting line, so made overseas and the materials are not NIR compliant. On my Marshall and Pintler in foliage the main pack farbic isn't too bad under NVG but the webbing positively glows and the buckles are a very stark black. If you want NIR perormance, look elsewhere.

The MR Blackjack is made in the USA from NIR materials through and through. Inlcuding the zippers as you noted. MR worked with YKK to accomplish this and you'll note the zipper pull is not colour matched - they use black oxide coated cast zinc for long term performance. Soldier systems daily covered this in 2017:

https://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/...ramch-introduces-new-zippers-for-spear-packs/

Stone Glacier also makes a military line but I know very little about it. They do have a nifty attachment for the back of the frame to store AR mags.

Take a look at Exo Mountain Gear. On my second one. Currently running the K3 4800.
    Can do multi nights with foul weather. If you're doing super cold the next size up may be better to accommodate the bulk of cold weather gear....mainly sleeping bag.

One thing about several of the packs mentioned.

They will shrink down easy on your frame once you have camp set and are just hiking or hunting and dont need the space.

Specific frame packs (like my old Bozeman Dana pack or Gregory) for backpacking/mountaineering dont seem to do this as well.

I like a system where you have a frame and pack and can swap packs if needed.

I dont want a 6000 ci pack for mule deer day hunts.

I dont care for them and a good buddy really likes the KUIU system.
    Works for him and his old man back.

Thanks guys, would love to hear why you like / use what you do. I'm just getting into the pack side of things for overnight / multi overnights. I've got a pretty good 30L pack that works well for warm weather stuff overnight but really looking to get something for longer duration / colder weather. Use case would be cold overnight with a couple guys, and potentially 5-7 days hunting in the mountains in the fall.

I usually do 50-60 miles on the river in a week with a bunch of people in canoes and got away with a 20L bag for that week but the canoes really help. I have a 55L dry bag that is great but I'd love to have a backpack that can take what I need when it gets colder.

Reactions: powdahound76
    One fun thing to think about.

I occasionally use a dry bag to carry camp (4 season shelter, pad, sleeping bag, and food bag) and a smaller pack (kifaru woodsman, reckoning but smaller) that carry's my hunting gear.
    I usually strap the dry bag to the top cross ways or the back if warmer and just carrying a tarp.

Where in the midwest are you OP?

Im in Denver area if you are nearish and want to check out a set up.

For a more lightweight take on things, peak at sectionhlker.com and backpackinglight.com. The former is free and the latter is paid only if you want to post (I think).

My big pack is an old Dana Design Terraframe (internal) that is heavy but comfortable. I now sort of hate it lol.

My light pack is untested as I just got it. It’s an Osprey Mutant 52L. Here’s a review (good review place, btw):

If you are hard on your gear and like frameless packs, head on over to http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/ (check his IG too). He’s a very good mountaineer that is also a very good pack maker. Lots of NH ice climbers and alpinists like his packs.

Hill People Gear seems to have some interesting packs as well.

These guys have cool lighter packs too: https://seekoutside.com/

Finally, McHale packs seem to have a very good rep. Spendy. Mountaineering focus.

Hunting packs seem quite heavy if you are just hiking. I get it if you are hauling meat, however.

Last edited:
    Reactions: rlsmith1 and Modoc
    Thanks guys! I'm in Iowa so Denver is a bit of a trek but I really appreciate it! I had settled on the Mystery Ranch Overload but now I've got some more looking to do (I had forgotten about Hill People Gear)! I really like the ability to throw stuff (meat, rifle, camp gear, etc.) between the pack and frame. I'll probably add a stick it and lid to up the capacity to 65L or so plus some exterior storage as needed

Went with the Mystery Ranch Overload, saw it on sale for $344 and a 20% off coupon on top of that. Shipped to my door for under $300 which seems to be a pretty good deal. Will try and grab a MR lid and stick it over Black Friday

Code NOVOUT

Reactions: powdahound76
    Went with the Mystery Ranch Overload, saw it on sale for $344 and a 20% off coupon on top of that. Shipped to my door for under $300 which seems to be a pretty good deal. Will try and grab a MR lid and stick it over Black Friday

Code NOVOUT
    You might know this, but MR is headed up by the same guy who ran Dana Design. He tends to design heavy packs. The one you bought is 7.8lbs and 2990 cu/in or 49L. A lid will add to the volume (and weight) obv.

That is a heavy pack for its volume.

Looks like you cannot return it. But, you knew the numbers going in so you’re probably alright with the specs. I’m sure it’ll last a long time.

For example, it looks like you want a hunting pack? The Seek Outside pack below weighs 4lbs and is bigger at 3500 cu/in. Almost saves a person 4lbs right there (half a gallon of water).

Of course it’s $280 more.

Not trying to be a downer.

Last edited:
    Seek is owned by commies.
    Dont buy crap from commies.

I have carried a 40 lb pack trying an ultralight pack.

I will stick to a heavier and bombproof pack.

You might know this, but MR is headed up by the same guy who ran Dana Design. He tends to design heavy packs. The one you bought is 7.8lbs and 2990 cu/in or 49L. A lid will add to the volume (and weight) obv.

That is a heavy pack for its volume.

Looks like you cannot return it. But, you knew the numbers going in so you’re probably alright with the specs. I’m sure it’ll last a long time.

For example, it looks like you want a hunting pack? The Seek Outside pack below weighs 4lbs and is bigger at 3500 cu/in. Almost saves a person 4lbs right there (half a gallon of water).

Of course it’s $280 more.

Not trying to be a downer.

Yeah even MR's own hunting line is meaningfully lighter than their military style stuff but like you said, durability should be good. I'm looking for more of a do all pack that can handle weight and has enough room for a couple days in cold weather. The stick it should add a fair amount of extra volume (likely going to hold my sleeping gear in a dry bag).

I purposely went on the lower end of the size range because (a) I can add some external pouches if needed and (b) I will fill a 100L bag just as full as a 50L bag haha. I'm sure there will be room for me to make adjustments in the future, but this should be a good start

Reactions: carbonbased