• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 50mm or 56mm ?

SugarBooger

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2012
slo-maha
So, I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a NF 5.5-22x

My issue is objective

I have rings already that give me clearance with a 50 mm bell (2 pieces of paper thick,barely)
If I go the 56mm direction, I will need to also purchase new rings

Are the advantages of the 56mm worth the additional cost of rings?

I mostly punch paper at 600

...and I'm a cheap bastard with another kid on the way

All responses appreciated

I ran that scope a few years with the "50"...
Never once wanted,needed more...
Truthfully,I'm hoping they get around to a 42 or maybe a 44 in a 5.5-22 or at least the 3.5-15 version...what...??? It could happpen...lol!

I personally can't make myself go to a 56. I hate the excessive height, it kills my cheek weld, and fatigues me beyond belief. I have tried to make them work for me, but I am perfectly happy with the 50.

I would recommend a bit higher rings though, just so as to not damage your scope.

DK

I ran a NF 5.5-22x50 for years, when I shot other peoples rifles with the same scope but with a 56mm bell they always seemed slightly brighter, now I'm using a Razor and can't wait for the new 56mm version to come out, I will be making the switch only because of the bigger objective.

Last edited:
I have two 5.5-22x50mm's , both on Bat actions / rails and i like using the Badger max 50 rings which go from Low to high to ultra high . I can use the Low , use a Butler cap and still have daylight between the barrel . I have a 12-42x56mm , might try setting it at 22x !

Might seem a bit off topic, but I have used S&B scopes of 4-16 and 5-25. Objectives of 56, 50 and 42 on the 4-16. I much prefer the 4-16 x42 and I use it for low light conditions. I also use NF in 2.5-10 and prefer the x24 by far. Use low light cond. as well. Get the small one.

Last edited: