• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

510 whisper teaser

dksd39

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2006
Hollywood, FL/ Kentucky
Was planning on waiting until it actually arrived but then the builder sent a teaser pic-- damn he is killing me
smile.gif
Cant wait to start silently sending giant projectiles down range. So now I figure I should spread the teasing. So here you go- and the build specs are as follows:

pheonix action
17" brux barrel 1.1" at muzzle
cant remember which trigger we decided on :0
1.5 AICS LA stock

The barreled action will be duracoated black.

51020LM.jpg

here is an pic of the round- left to right: 308, 223, 300/221 (220gr SMK), 510 whisper, 695gr FMJBT
510.jpg

Re: 510 whisper teaser

What is that case based off of? Is it meant to be a subsonic round, don't look like alot of case capacity?

the case is a cut down and necked 338LM and yes it is subsonic. Can send up to a 750gr A-Max at @1050 fps. The paperwork for my 50 can is already in the works but we all know how long the ATF can take some times. The rifle should be here in about 2 weeks.

Love, it. I am not as far along as you are, waiting on Lawton and the ATF. I have my reamer and stock ready. I find myself leaning more and more toward suppressed subsonic rounds for general plinking.

I think I asked before what twist are you using? Let us know how she shoots. I am planning on stretching mine to at least 600 yards. I may have to wait until it gets dusty in the summer so I can walk it in to the target. I cant get any ballistics program to work correctly with my whisper and suspect the 50whisper is going to have the same affliction.

Whoa, that's both a bit crazy....and cool
smile.gif

Very nice looking whisper you got man. Please keep us updated on its results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love, it. I am not as far along as you are,
</div></div>

Eddybo---LOL we need to talk and just might make that 2 of them you building lol. Can I get ammo from you hahahaha?

Very nice build! I've got a 300/221 upper on order, but you've got me envious.

The retained energy at distance is amazing with the 750 Amax. With a MV of 1050 fps it's traveling at 900 fps at 800 yards with 1370 ft.lbs. of energy! Wow!

That's one beefy barrel!

Looks like an awesome rifle. One of these with an AAC Cyclops is on my "some day" list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one of Spooks builds? </div></div>

Yes it is

I have to say, that's a cool ass round you've got there. I can't believe it's got so much punch at such a low speed. Very cool man. Kudos to you.

Get NotaGuru on the barrel,they may as well do two 8 twist fiftys while they are doing mine....and get your form 1 sent to ATF. I will get your brass formed up and build an extra set of dies or load for you. Take a look at the reamer when you come up....it will sell you. Of course I will be glad to plumb it for you....and my smith work is free to all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice looking whisper you got man. Please keep us updated on its results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love, it. I am not as far along as you are,
</div></div>

Eddybo---LOL we need to talk and just might make that 2 of them you building lol. Can I get ammo from you hahahaha? </div></div>

When you get to reloading for it, try RE7. My 50 Alaskan is similar in case capacity and takes 34gr to reach 1050 with a 750 Amax. It will kick like a mule. If you're thinking about a suppressor, call Elite Iron in Banner Mt. They will make you a 50 cal non-bmg can for about $750 that is designed for the 510 and 50 AK. It's half the wieght and price of a BMG can. The suppressor will tame the recoil down to 20ga level. With a tablespoon of water, the sound resembles a car door slamming. It's not 22 suppressed quiet, but without question ear safe.

There is some reloading data in the subsonic section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUM Lover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you get to reloading for it, try RE7. My 50 Alaskan is similar in case capacity and takes 34gr to reach 1050 with a 750 Amax. It will kick like a mule. If you're thinking about a suppressor, call Elite Iron in Banner Mt. They will make you a 50 cal non-bmg can for about $750 that is designed for the 510 and 50 AK. It's half the wieght and price of a BMG can. The suppressor will tame the recoil down to 20ga level. With a tablespoon of water, the sound resembles a car door slamming. It's not 22 suppressed quiet, but without question ear safe.

There is some reloading data in the subsonic section. </div></div>

Thanks for the info- I'm sure I will be trying many recipies when it arrives. I have RL-7 so I will give it a go along with LilGun and WC820. Wish I had known about Elite Iron before I spent 2k on an AWC- oh well now I can build a BMG if I want
smile.gif

Since you’re posting .510 Whisper teasers I thought I’d share mine:

510Whisper-1.jpg

Its still a work in progress. It’s a Rem 700 action with an 18” heavy barrel and a Seekins Precision bottom metal with 5 round detachable magazine. I have plans for the silencer drawn up and am waiting on my Form 1 to come back to start building it. It will be a tube inside of a tube design similar to an AWC MK9. If Texas H.B. 1863 passes and becomes law before the Form 1 comes back I may just throw my middle finger in the air and build it with out the form.

I’m mainly going to be using it to hunt hogs. I can’t wait to blast a hog with it at close range with a supersonic load. I can just imagine it tearing a hog in half.

Here is mine. Encore with SSK barrel, 1-10 twist. While it shoots Amax at 1050 fps with 28 grains of WC820 into one inch groups at 100 yards, I normally use cast 950 grain or surplus API instead as they are much cheaper (7 cents and 33 cents each), but they are 2 moa at best. The silencer I made is 2x18" and works well although it is bulky. It tames the recoil well.

The scope is a Leupold VX3 from Premier Reticles with 22 mil-dots on the verticle axis. I zero at 200 yards and hold over or under other ranges.

510w2.jpg

encore510.jpg

photos_510w_2.jpg

Ranb

Reactions: AMGtuned

Wow that is pretty cool. Any stability issues with the AMax? I would think you would get decent accuracy out of the AP. Are they sized? Do those tracers actually light off with that small of a fire behind them

Wow that's crazy! Looks like the bullet would just fall out of the barrel in front of the rifle with that small load. Hard to believe it goes out to 800! Awesome!

The Amax stabilizes just fine. The only bullet I have tried that is not stable is the 950 grain cast shot without a gas check; it will tumble 90 degrees within 25 yards and leave a 2.5 inch hole in the target, grouping like a shotgun. I’m not sure if the 800 grain Barnes bore riders will be stable either. Crimping on the gas check and sizing to .510" makes the cast bullets nearly as good as the surplus AP. The last two baffles and end cap on my silencer are slightly dinged due to unstable cast bullets shot without the gas check.

The tracer lights up shortly after leaving the barrel, most of the time. They are old surplus bullets, so some of them do not light, just like there are a few duds to be had when using them in the 50 BMG with +200 grains of 5010 powder.

When shooting at 500 yards, I have enough time to re-acquire the target through the scope to see the bullet impact. I wish I had used a heavier bolt gun instead of the Encore. Bolt gun users I have talked to said the recoil was not bad, unlike the Encore.

I got the 950 grain mold from Cast Bullet Engineering in Australia back in 2002. They also make a 225 grain 308 mold that I use for my 300 whisper. They are both made from brass. http://www.castbulletengineering.bigpondhosting.com/custom.htm

Ranb

Wow. WOW!! I've been following the .510 Whisper news for a couple of years now, ever since I stumbled across it. I even went as far as to price some actions and buy some surplus .50BMG projectiles. It went to the back burner, unfortunately.

But that is one GORGEOUS build. Could you please provide me with the info on who's building it? I might want to get a hold of him if I ever do scratch up the money for one.

Thanks. Also, the info on the .510 Whisper suppressor builder was very welcome! 2K for a .50 BMG can has always been the biggest deterrent to getting the rifle for me. What's the difference in sound reduction between that and a .50BMG suppressor??

Good morning I am new to the forum.

I am looking designing and building a can for a 50 Alaskan I am building off a Enfield P-14 action. My question is what gotcha's are there in submitting the design and paperwork ATF that I should know about?

amazing build looks great i bet it shoots even better, and to answer khooks question "is this supposed to be subsonic" definite negative ghost rider it was produced specifically for use with a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZDAVE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good morning I am new to the forum.

I am looking designing and building a can for a 50 Alaskan I am building off a Enfield P-14 action. My question is what gotcha's are there in submitting the design and paperwork ATF that I should know about?

</div></div>
Welcome Dave,
There aren't really any gotcha's other than making sure you have all the paperwork filled out properly and signoffs are done correctly. Fill out the form 1 in duplicate, both sides and get your sheriff or police chief to sign the back. Place your passport photo on each copy. Send the forms along with your citizenship certification form and a check in the amount of $200 for each item you are making. If its just one suppressor than $200 is it. You don't need to send plans or detailed descriptions, just the info on the front of the form, length, cal, serial#. You should put N/A in barrel length for a suppressor unless its an integral unit.

Here are some pics of my 12.7X48. We can't legally call it a whisper since JD Jones copyrighted the name. The rifle is a Desert Tactical SRS which has a changeable barrel system. I bought it in .338 Lapua Magnum and built a 510 barrel for it. The suppressor is my own design. Its aluminum and very light. It works quite well. I built up a barrel and suppressor for a friends .338 DT setup too. The round can be loaded subsonic for extra quiet shooting or it can be loaded supersonic. We've loaded the API 650gr bullets up to about 1250fps so far and I'm told it can be pushed up to 1350+ with the right powder. We have found that the subsonic API will penetrate 5/16" thick AR500 armor plate at 250yds which really surprised me. We haven't done much with the supersonic loads yet other than to chronograph a few to see if it works. I've fired the subsonic rounds at over 900yds but its a pretty big rainbow trajectorywise. I did do a little shooting at 600yds and it was surprisingly accurate. Recoil is somewhere in the neighborhood of the 308. I haven't fired any of the super accurate bullets like the hornady AMAX but I have fired most of the standard military surplus bullets. Tracers light as reliably as they do in the 50 bmg and for the tracers I've got thats about 90%+. Tracers make a fairly loud hissing noise as they head downrange. API flashes on impact with hard targets subsonic but won't usually flash when it hits the ground like the BMG makes them do. The APIT I have traces about the same as the BMG and with this lot of bullets I've got thats about 50%. They flash the same as the API. When we've fired the API or APIT loaded supersonic they do flash when they hit the ground. We need to do some more testing to see if they'll flash on "softer" targets.

There is a good website with more info on the Whispers from 300 on up at http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27 .
Neat round and great fun to shoot. Its very nice to be able to hear the round flying downrange and the smack it makes when it hits is pretty amazing.

Frank

This is a friends Desert Tactical SRS with a barrel and suppressor I made.
TanDTwithcan510.jpg

This a shot of an APIT tracing on its way downrange.
510apitinflight.jpg

This is one of the penetrators stuck in the armor plate.
AR500armorplatewith510Wpenetratorstuckfrom250yds3.jpg

This one shows my friends DT in 12.7X48 with the suppressor installed on the far side with my rifle on the nearside with the .338 lapua barrel and suppressor installed.
DTsinactionright.jpg

Very cool! I've read this thread before, but the addition of the DTA SRS is really innovative. Taking an already very flexible platform and making it even more versatile.

I really like the DT SRS and there are plans to make up some other barrel/cals for it as well. I'm looking at .338BR which is the 7mm benchrest round necked up to .338 intended for launching subsonic 300gr .338 slugs. Another very good bullet for long range plunking (subsonic plinking). I've kind of lost some interest in that though due to the fact that the .338 lapua with the can is so much quieter than I expected. I'll still do it but it will be a bit more down the road.

KY shooter you can bet your ass I'm tossing tracers through the can. The can for the 510 is aluminum and I can take it apart for cleaning. I haven't needed to though as the ammo is pretty clean and even with tracers there isn't any residue left in barrel or can that will hurt anything. The residue from tracers is magnesium dioxide which is a pretty good antacid as we know from maalox and milk of magnesia so no corrosion worries. The heat from the ignition portion of the tracer isn't much so no heat worries either. The .338 can is steel but I can't find tracers bullets to run through that one or I'd have them flying too. I've run thousands through my 1919's suppressor with no ill effects.
If any of you guys are coming to the shoot at Knob Creek next week stop by and say howdy. I'm working the tables for Ohio Ordnance works in the center row at the entrance to the pole barn.

Frank

Hello, new here. I know this topic is kinda old but was curious if anyone could tell me what the report is like on a 1050 fps 510 whisper without a moderator. I am interested in building or having built a fairly quiet long range rifle capable of sub MOA accuracy but do not wish to hassle with getting a can for it and was curious how loud it would be without a can.
thank you

damn that is way cool, just damn. droling and speechless. Any vids you want to share guys??

The 510 without a suppressor is loud enough that I wouldn't shoot it without earmuffs. The thing about subsonics is that the bullet doesn't make all the noise a supersonic slug will. That makes things much quieter as a good portion of the sound is the crack of the supersonic bullet. My .338 Lapua fires a supersonic 300gr bullet and is pretty noisy even with the suppressor with the bullet making noise all the way to the target. The 510 is much quieter despite the muzzle blast. Its something you'd have to hear in person to really get an idea. Its not easily compared to anything I can tell you about....

Frank

Thanks! Anyone know where I can find a trajectory table? I was interested in using the cartridge for large game at 200-400 yds but I do not like the supersonic crack of a 308 or 30-06, they seem to echo for five minutes before you can hear anything moving around in the woods again LOL.