• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

52B the most accurate 22 I've shot

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
I ran into a old acquaintance while out shooting last week.I was telling him about how I wanted to build a 22 trainer off a 40X rimfire action but wanted a repeater.He mentioned that he was selling his 52B because he owns a couple 52 single shots already and a bunch of other match 22 rifles.Turns out 22 repeaters aren't necessary in his shooting discipline.

I went over to his house to look at it.WOW,pure vintage 52 complete with old Unertl 12X scope.I've never handled one of these before or really even looked one over up close.I decided to decline on the sale because I'd feel guilty turning this nice old gun into a modern tactical type trainer.Seeing the look of temptation in my eye as I was walking away he chased me down and talked me into taking it for the weekend.

Bad decision on my part,LOL
crazy.gif
I only shot five 5 shot groups with WolfMT at 50Y.Keep in mind I'm not the best shot around and the LOP was at least an inch too long.I was not able to get comfortable behind the rifle at all and straining to be able to look through half the field of view in the scope.In 3 of the groups you can see 3 shots in one hole then 2 shots in the other.I feel that for the most part it was me that caused this and not what the rifle is capable of.I'm reasonably convinced this relic could win a 22 benchrest match!

I've owned 4 Anschutz 64's in various configurations,3 Kimbers- Oregon and America,a CZ and a few others.Some were pretty accurate but this old 52B could actually be a 1/4 moa gun in the right hands and with the right ammo.

I'm thinking about making him a offer today and just leaving the 52B as is.He's asking $1400 for everything including the handstop,a pair of nice sights and extra single shot mag.

What do you 52 guys think this is worth ?

Here's the groups and rifle.

002-1.jpg
004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Re: 52B the most accurate 22 I've shot

How dare you let that rifle touch the ground!! lol, joking aside, that's one BEAUTIFUL 52. I'd be choking on my own drool if I were looking at it in person (almost doing it just looking through the computer screen). Sorry though, I do not know what it is worth.

Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Nice 52b's will bring $900-$1200 bare. I agree the scope and mounts worth $500+/-.

Fair price for both parties.

If you don't take it LMK I might be a buyer.

Good luck and I hope you take it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I didn't get back into town yesterday to get with the seller but I will today.

Steve,

Do you want a trainer or do you want a collection piece?

You already said you wouldn't want to cut on it or break apart that amazing 52 and I don't blame you one bit. So what would you need to do to get it to fit you?

A new stock is a must if LOP is too long so add cash for that on top of your investment (and you'd be crucified for cutting the original).

Great price on a great .22 and you definately would get $1200 back out and probably more - the only real question is, "Is this what you want/need?"

you complained about the eye relief - it is easily adjustable. Loosen the lock ring screw in front and pull the scope back then re-tighten the screw. From the pics you have more than an inch of adjustment.

These stocks are not long. You can move the scope to set eye relief. I do not think the rifle will need anything. Being a repeater is far more valuable than being a rem action IMO.
Nice rifle at a fair price.
RTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you complained about the eye relief - it is easily adjustable. Loosen the lock ring screw in front and pull the scope back then re-tighten the screw. From the pics you have more than an inch of adjustment. </div></div>

Ahh,Thanks,Good to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve,

Do you want a trainer or do you want a collection piece?

You already said you wouldn't want to cut on it or break apart that amazing 52 and I don't blame you one bit. So what would you need to do to get it to fit you?

A new stock is a must if LOP is too long so add cash for that on top of your investment (and you'd be crucified for cutting the original).

Great price on a great .22 and you definately would get $1200 back out and probably more - the only real question is, "Is this what you want/need?"

</div></div>

Good news!I bought it.

After thinking about the subject for a while I decided I don't really need another 22 trainer per say(more like want}and also I'm not a collector type guy either.I've got a few nice 22's and air rifles that I've been using for practice.Truth is I like this old rifle because it's a good investment,built so well,shoots even better,has a wonderful trigger and on top of that the price is affordable to me.Besides...I've been missing having a match rifle with irons too.It's been years.Maybe I'll go down to Phoenix one of these days and try my hand with the seller shooting in his iron sight game.Always fun trying something new!

Trainer:
The perfect trainer for me would be a 40X in a repeater form and in a Mak tube kit to mimic my main tactical centerfire.One problem is it's going to cost $2500 or so by the time I'm done without optics.The other problem is nobody makes a 40X clone repeater action yet.Building it would be a process over time and something I'll be pondering for the future.Here's what it would look like.
DSC00242.jpg

It looks to me like somebody already changed the butt pad on the stock because the fitting doesn't appear to be from the factory,cough/gag.I don't know if they just replaced the factory butt pad or cut the stock shorter and replaced it.Whoever did it could of done a better job for sure.So If I changed the LOP and had it done correctly it wouldn't take away from the value much.

Here I go on my 52B journey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats Steve... No regrets. You are going to love that rifle. </div></div>

Thanks!

I can't wait to do a long shooting session with it at longer distances.