• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

541X

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
Anybody ever hear the delio on these things? I owned a 541S when I was in the service and this thing was a <span style="font-style: italic">MACHINE!</span>. A few years ago I got the hankering to get one again, as I missed having supreme accuracy in a .22. I ended up steering myself towards the 541X. That thing is incredibly accurate for an open-sighted rifle. I've never stuck a scope on it like I did with the "S". But it will shoot inside 1" consistently @ 100

The 'delio' I'm asking about is why did the U.S. Army(?) buy almost 6000 of them then put them in storage. So few were used that almost 4000 of them could be purchased, when they went out on sale through the CMP, in their original foil bags! What happened? Did they fail miserably? Feel cheezy? Not have a fine enough finish on the walnut?

Re: 541X

There was a similar batch of 540XR that wound up at Mac Tilton of MT Guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually the 540XR's were more of a ergonomic stock compared to previous Remington target guns and if memory serves were all single shot 541/581 series actions....I've only seen single shots so I may be wrong.

They are pretty cool...</div></div>

I thought the 540X's were full sized 700 actions made to take a .22?

IIRC The 540X is a mil only trainer basically an upgraded 513-T (very similar stock profile). The 540XR's have biathlon or positional type stocks, single shot. The 580 is the same receiver in Single shot, 581's were plastic mag fed, 582's were tube fed. The bolts all have 6 lugs and by all accounts are pretty damn good accuracy wise. The 541's were the high end of the "walking around" gun with very nice walnut hunting stocks.

I've got a couple projects simmering on the stove with these platforms in the mix.

The Remmy 40X is the one that fits in the SA 700 stock.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IIRC The 540X is a mil only trainer basically an upgraded 513-T (very similar stock profile). The 540XR's have biathlon or positional type stocks, single shot. The 580 is the same receiver in Single shot, 581's were plastic mag fed, 582's were tube fed. The bolts all have 6 lugs and by all accounts are pretty damn good accuracy wise. The 541's were the high end of the "walking around" gun with very nice walnut hunting stocks.

I've got a couple projects simmering on the stove with these platforms in the mix.

The Remmy 40X is the one that fits in the SA 700 stock.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Doc,

Thanks for some clarification. The 40x was based off the 722 (same as the 700 action pretty much). the -XB Rimfire was based off the 700. However I thought the 581 had a metal mag.(?) My 541 "S" had a plastic mag. That was the really nice <span style="font-style: italic">'walking around'</span> gun. It was a beautiful rifle...all except that really cheezy mag. My dad has a 580 which is the single shot. Come to think of it the feed tray was plastic on that one. We had to replace it as the ejector works off of it. Again, cheezy situation. Maybe the 581's did have that crappy plastic mag.

FWIW, my 541X looks a lot like a 513TR "Matchmaster". Except it has a really heavy barrel for a .22.

Ya'll are gonna make me break out my camera and dig into my other safe.
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I set the Smack the Smiley rimfire record with a 540XD, basically the same rifle.

Yea, they can shoot.</div></div>

Now what's an XD? My book doesn't have that one in it. It's got the -X rimfire, XB rimfire, XC/XC (NM) rim <span style="text-decoration: line-through">and centerfire</span> D'oh, XR, and XR-KS (kevlar stock). stupid book

Edit:

Doc,

It would take you twisting my pinkie about 1/4" to make me sit down and look at some fine .22 hardware.
grin.gif

OK, crappy pic from a while back

DSC01837.jpg

Left to Right

540XR Youth
513-T heavily modified by me
513-T U.S. Marked, L.E.A.D. all original
541X U.S. Marked all original
581 youth
581 standard

Cheers,

Doc

My 541-T was bedded and second action screw added and it is definitely a shooter. Groups at 50 yards with the right ammo are at 1/4- inch or so.

Oh, y'all have no idea.........

I will be moving one of my safes here in the near future and I may have to post all of the guns that will be sold at the next gun show for a $1 each. I need to make room for my collection of pastel and purple Beanie Babies.

By the way all of the above rifles were lost in a tragic Bass Boat accident.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, y'all have no idea.........

I will be moving one of my safes here in the near future and I may have to post all of the guns that will be sold at the next gun show for a $1 each. I need to make room for my collection of pastel and purple Beanie Babies.

By the way all of the above rifles were lost in a tragic Bass Boat accident.

Cheers,

Doc</div></div>

I'm assuming it was HORRIBLE! But ya caught fish at least before the boat went over, right?
wink.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif